"My law practice mimics my play style in my former hockey career – I am proactive, energetic, anticipate the opponent’s next play, respond quickly in critical situations, and I always have my head on a swivel."
Alex uses his commercial litigation and corporate bankruptcy experience to service clients in courts across the United States, from California to Delaware. After clerking in a bankruptcy court in a top corporate bankruptcy venue, he has experience in some of the largest corporate bankruptcies in the United States, and currently he represents several clients in the Toys “R” Us and Gymboree Group bankruptcies.
While Alex enjoys the restructuring side of his bankruptcy practice, his real passion lies on the litigation side of that practice. Alex thrives on taking new and challenging cases and providing tangible results to his clients. Resolving conflicts outside of court may be the best option in most cases, however Alex is well-equipped to advocate on behalf of his clients in court – a strength which can be contributed to his time spent as a federal law clerk.
Chapter 11 Work
- Represents clients in defending preference and fraudulent transfer litigation in Bankruptcy Courts in California, Delaware, Louisiana and Virginia.
- Represents buyers in connection with multi-million dollar real estate transactions in Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Drafted a favorable forbearance and tolling agreement for an international manufacturing company.
- Successfully defended trade vendors' proofs of claims and maximized their recovery in the Toys "R" Us bankruptcy.
- Litigated against a Toys “R” Us attempt to assume and assign a store lease which would harm a client’s tenant mix in a shopping center.
Chapter 9 Work
- Represents creditors in connection with Chapter 9 proceedings across the United States, especially in connection with Chapter 9 hospital bankruptcies in rural areas of the country.
- Provides both defense and plaintiff-side litigation in Virginia state courts regarding creditor attempts to satisfy unpaid judgments.
- Coordinated complex document production efforts on behalf of a client faced with an aggressive judgment creditor.
- Represents Chapter 7 Trustees and creditors in connection with fraud recovery efforts regarding Ponzi schemes, fraudulent investment activities and sham real estate agreements.
- Adept at analyzing financial documents and bank statements in relation to fraud allegations, as well as deposing witnesses involved in fraudulent schemes.
- Provides divorce assistance to people in poverty-stricken areas of Southwest Virginia.
- Hirschler Bankruptcy Team To Attend American Bankruptcy Institute's Spring Meeting in Washington, D.CWashington, D.C., 04.11.19 - 04.14.19
- Väsen Brewing Company, 11.27.2018
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
Outside the office, Alex maintains a very active lifestyle with his fiancé Faith, including weekly runs and cycling classes, which helps release the tension that he used to let out on the ice. Alex was an accomplished hockey player – playing against some of the top competition in the world while playing Junior A hockey in Canada for two seasons. After playing his freshman year in college, Alex hung up his skates to focus on school. Alex’s competitive side still shows whenever he watches his beloved Wisconsin Badgers or Chicago Blackhawks.
Alex lives to eat – not eats to live. Alex wrote for food & wine magazine The Dish while a student at the University of Wisconsin and he still keeps up with the latest culinary and wine trends. When he’s not at the coolest restaurant in town, you can find him in the kitchen cooking his favorite Italian and French dishes for himself and Faith to enjoy with a glass of the latest in chic wine (little-known grapes from Portugal or southern Italy, anyone?).
Article of Note
- The Honorable Kevin R. Huennekens, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
William & Mary Law School, cum laude
- Managing Editor, William & Mary Business Law Review
- Outstanding Member, William & Mary Business Law Review
- ABA–BNA Award for Excellence in Health Law
- ABI Scholarship – 2017 Byrne Judicial Clerkship Institute
University of Wisconsin, with Distinction
- Dean’s List
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia
- Virginia Supreme Court
- ConferenceHirschler Bankruptcy Team To Attend American Bankruptcy Institute's Spring Meeting in Washington, D.C
- AlertToys “R” Us Bankruptcy Cases Highlight the Use of Third-Party Releases and “Opt-Out” Provisions in Chapter 11 Plans
- SponsorshipHirschler To Participate in Special Olympics Virginia #GivingTuesday Celebration