Ben is a business lawyer with a wide range of transactional experience. Ben advises a clients on private investment fund formation matters, private fund investments, co-investment transactions, private placements, debt financings, minority investments, mergers and acquisitions and general corporate matters, including governance and compliance issues and shareholder disputes.
Among Ben’s valued clients:
- Sponsors of private real estate investment funds, funds-of-funds and hedge funds, in connection with fund formation matters.
- Endowments and other institutional investors, in connection with investments in private equity funds, energy funds, hedge funds, co-investment transactions and investment management agreements.
- Borrowers and non-bank lenders, in connection with loans, credit facilities and related matters.
- Financial acquirers, portfolio companies and other participants in acquisitions, investments and dispositions.
- A leading middle market investment bank, in connection with a range of matters.
- Businesses and business owners in connection with ownership, operating and governance matters.
Prior to joining Hirschler, Ben was an associate in the corporate and financial services department in the New York office of Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP.
Recent matters include:
- The formation of numerous private real estate funds investing in various classes of commercial real estate, private funds for outsourced chief investment office (OCIO) platforms, parallel funds in a hedge fund structure, a private fund with a sustainability strategy and various other investment entities.
- Investments by institutional investors in private equity, venture capital, energy and hedge funds, as well as co-investments.
- Representing private investment funds in connection with their entry into NAV, subscription and other credit facilities, corporate borrowers in connection with their entry into secured credit facilities and a business owner in connection with owner financings and subsequent restructuring matters.
- Acting as outside general counsel for a leading middle-market investment bank, including negotiation of engagement agreements, confidentiality agreements and service provider contracts.
- Representing the seller and depositor in a re-securitization of certain asset-backed securities.
- Reviewing and negotiating ISDA documentation on behalf of various end users.
- Acting as Virginia local counsel in connection with secured financing transactions.
- SEC Provides Conditional Temporary Exemptions from Form ADV and Form PF Filing and Delivery Requirements03.19.2020
- SEC Adopts Broker-Dealer Best Interest Rule and Disclosure Duties for Broker-Dealers and RIAs, Publishes Key Advisers Act Interpretations06.11.2019
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
Ben’s interests include travel, running (2012 Richmond Marathon finisher) and reading, particularly historical fiction and Nordic noir. He and Ginny Ann live in Washington, D.C., where they dote on their cats and enjoy watching soccer, swimming, baseball and college sports (go Gamecocks, Gophers, Green Wave and ‘hoos!).
The University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 2005
Williams College, B.A., cum laude, 2001
- New York