"I feel blessed to serve our clients by giving them my time and talents each day. My goal is to form a trusted, professional relationship with them."
As a real estate paralegal, Brenda helps bring real estate transactions to an efficient close. She conducts due diligence - ordering organizational documents, title commitments, surveys, and lien searches; drafts closing documents, loan documents, settlement statements, objection letters and escrow instructions letters; and monitors each transaction to ensure deadlines are met and close communication is maintained with the client, title company, surveyor, lender, lender’s counsel, opposing counsel and real estate agents.
Brenda routinely interacts with the firm’s real estate clients, including developers and the owners of shopping centers, apartment complexes and healthcare facilities. She has been commended for her work on acquisitions for Virginia Commonwealth University and one of the firm’s top historic preservation clients.
Brenda’s past work experience has enabled her to step into her role as a real estate paralegal with a strong working knowledge of real estate transactions. Those experiences include:
- Working for a real estate investor who collaborated with developers wanting to preserve Virginia historical properties and assisted with his due diligence of the projects.
- Working for the Virginia Association of REALTORS® as the professional standards administrator, administering cases for claims brought against REALTORS® under the Code of Ethics and designing the Association’s Ombudsman Program in compliance with the National Association of REALTORS®.
- Having a real estate sales license, and having worked as a REALTOR® assisting clients in buying and selling residential property.
- Authoring Hirschler’s authoritative guide on how to file forms electronically with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- For more than 20 years, working in the office of the general counsel for a national title insurance company; playing an integral role in that company’s 1031 exchange subsidiary by providing research and governance for the subsidiary, and resolution drafting for specific tax-free exchanges of property.
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
An active community volunteer, Brenda participates in numerous outreach projects through her church and the YMCA. A longtime advocate of the YMCA, Brenda has been involved in several programs and special events with the organization; among her favorite activities - preparing backpacks for children and going school shopping with a child through the YMCA’s Bright Beginnings program.
Together with her twin daughters, Brenda enjoys touring Virginia wineries. The three have made the winery tour an annual outing every year since the girls’ 21st birthday. Brenda and her family travel often to the Blue Ridge Mountains where her husband’s family has owned property for more than 50 years. There they enjoy exploring, picnics and just relaxing with the calming sounds of the babbling streams and stillness of the trees.
A proud supporter of the University of South Carolina, Brenda welcomes any opportunity to cheer on her beloved Gamecocks!
University of South Carolina, A.A., Office Administration, Deans List
Santa Clara University, Certificate - Certified Equity Professional