"It’s important to understand a client’s motivations and expectations so as not to let the ‘tax tail wag the dog.’ When assisting clients to help them reach their goals, careful planning on the front end achieves their desires in an efficient and more satisfying way."
Jamie’s practice focuses on the taxation of corporate transactions, transactional tax matters, tax-exempt organizations, 529 and ABLE plans, and tax-driven real estate transactions. He also advises issuers of municipal fund securities and counsels clients on compliance matters.
A frequent author and speaker, Jamie is regularly quoted on tax issues in well-known business journals such as the New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today and Investment News.
Jamie was a partner at AmLaw 100 firms and served as a senior attorney-advisor in the Chief Counsel’s office (Financial Institutions& Products) of the Internal Revenue Service.
Named to “Legal Elite,” (Tax), Virginia Business, 2009, 2011-2018
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Commonwealth Club, Richmond, VA, 02.19.2019
- Richmond, VA, 11.29.2018
- Orlando, FL, 09.24.2018
- Richmond, VA, 01.17.2018
- Options and Benefits to 529 Plans presented by Jamie Canup for Lorman Educational Services04.09.2015
- Canup Speaks on an Introduction to 529 College Savings Plans for CSPN04.02.2015
- Your 2020 Tax Plan: Three Steps To Position Yourself and Your Business for Success in the Year Ahead12.17.2019
- Accounting Today, 11.13.2019
- Virginia Business, 04.29.2019
- Fall 2018
- Your Home 1 Source, 10.09.2018
- Jamie Canup is Quoted in "COLUMN-Families Can Pool Resources for Disabled in ABLE Accounts," Reuters01.2018
- Tax Credit Alert: IRS Releases Guidance under Section 50(d) for Lease-Pass Through Investment Credit Partnerships07.21.2016
- DOL’s Interpretation on Worker Classification May Impact Employer Payroll and Tax Reporting Obligations07.22.2015
- Jamie Canups Authors a Blog Post called Happy Tax Day! for CSPN04.13.2015
- Transfer of Stock in Newly Formed Corporation to Newly Formed Partnership Does Not Taint Tax-Free Exchange02.13.2015
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
Supporting educational missions has been an important part of Jamie’s professional life. Over the past twenty years, he has represented over two dozen qualified tuition programs (529 Plans), which help individuals save for the costs of their future higher education. He has been a prolific speaker, writer and press resource on 529 Plans. In addition, he helped start two single-sex middle schools in Richmond, Virginia and served on their boards (one as president). He also taught classes on financial literacy at two elementary and three middle schools in the City of Richmond when he served on the board of Junior Achievement of Central Virginia. He remains committed to helping individuals grow their potential through higher education, and now also helping disabled individuals through his representation of states’ ABLE programs.
Though born in Washington, D.C., Jamie lived in Africa and Europe during his childhood, as his parents were diplomats. This experience has led to a passion for meeting individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures. An avid traveler, Jamie has visited over two dozen countries. He also enjoys traveling across the United States and has visited more than 40 states.
Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., Taxation
- Graduate Student Advisor, The Tax Lawyer
Washington & Lee University School of Law, J.D.
University of Virginia, B.A. with distinction
- District of Columbia
- AlertYour 2020 Tax Plan: Three Steps To Position Yourself and Your Business for Success in the Year Ahead
- Firm News38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law Category
- Firm NewsJamie Canup Appointed to Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board (MSRB)