“Avoiding business disputes is as important to my clients as resolving them when they arise. As a trusted advisor, I can both win a lawsuit, and help keep one from happening.”
Spencer is a trial lawyer whose practice centers on construction and commercial litigation. Companies and individuals rely on his steady, outcome focused counsel to cut-through complex disputes and establish a productive path forward.
Spencer has experience resolving disputes related to mechanic’s liens, construction contracts, tort liability related to construction, business torts (tortious interference with contract, defamation per se, fraud, conspiracy, etc.), general contracts, premises liability and real estate/property issues (including partition, boundary line disputes, trespass, and nuisance).
Spencer graduated cum laude from the University of Richmond School of Law after receiving his undergraduate degree from the Virginia Military Institute. While in law school, he served as an extern to the Honorable Cleo E. Powell of the Supreme Court of Virginia, and was a member of Richmond Law’s Journal of Law and Technology.
Represented contractors in cases related to alleged defective construction/design of ramp and roof access ladder.
Represented real estate companies in seeking sacrifice enforcement of contracts and defending against tortious interference claims.
Represented contractors in litigation and settlement of claims against owners, related to quality and completion of construction.
Defended contractor against tort claims and Virginia Consumer Protection Act claims related to construction premises.
Defended a technology infrastructure company in tortious interference case involving new-hire employees’ non-compete agreements.
Extern to the Honorable Cleo E. Powell of the Supreme Court of Virginia.
- Construction Law Blog, 05.03.2022
- Construction Law Blog, 03.21.2022
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
When he is not in the office, Spencer can be found on the river with his wife, Catie, and dog, Annie.
University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- First Place, Richmond Law Moot Court Competition
- Seventh Nationally, ABA Client Counseling and Negotiation Competition
- Second Place, Richmond Law Trial Advocacy Board Competition
- Justice of the Honor Court
- Journal of Law and Technology, senior staff member
Virginia Military Institute, B.A.
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- PresentationSpencer Allen Moderates AGC Panel Discussion on Labor and Trade Shortages in the Construction Industry
- Construction Law BlogThe Death of “Pay-When-Paid” in Virginia: Truth or Rumor?
- Construction Law BlogA New Trap for Unwary Contractors: Holding Payment on One Project for Claims in Another