"The one constant throughout my career is that, whether from corporate, individual or family clients, expressions of grateful appreciation for one’s counsel are the rewards that most endure."
Jim has a broad-based general business practice, including general corporate and commercial law, estate planning, trust and estate administration and taxation, general real estate and administrative law.
Jim is a veteran and a patriot. He served in the U.S. Army Signal Corps (Capt., U.S. Army Reserves), including the 127th Signal Battalion; the 7th Infantry Division (Camp Casey, Korea); and as an instructor for the Basic Officers Training Course in Ft. Gordon, Georgia.
Jim currently serves as chair of Hirschler’s Risk Management Committee.
Named to “Legal Elite,” Business, Virginia Business, 2008
Martindale-Hubbell: AV Peer Review Rated
- Representation of closely-held corporations and their management in general business, corporate and commercial matters.
- Significant concentration in estate planning and trust and estate administration, including service as trustee of numerous family trusts.
- Counsel to a large health maintenance organization in regulatory matters involving the State Corporation Commission and the Virginia Bureau of Insurance.
- Former practice areas included:
- Representation of the School Board of the City of Richmond in the Richmond school desegregation case.
- Representation of the Richmond Redevelopment and Housing Authority in various matters.
- Representation of the City of Charlottesville and the Charlottesville Redevelopment and Housing Authority in a downtown redevelopment project.
- Representation of the County of King and Queen in landfill and related matters.
- Representation of the Richmond Behavioral Health Authority with regard to its formation and initial operations.
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
Jim maintains a lifelong passion for baseball, including MLB generally and UVA specifically. Other abiding interests include college sports, with emphasis on UVA and Clemson; music of all types; certain brands of single malt scotch; American and English literature; the Grand Tetons; Labrador retrievers; all branches of the U.S. military, readily welcoming noise from our fighter jets; NASCAR racing, New York City, and oh, his John Deere lawn tractor.
Washington & Lee University, J.D., cum laude
- Assoc. Editor, Washington & Lee Law Review
University of Virginia, B.A.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court (E.D. Va.)