The process of trust and estate administration can leave fiduciaries and beneficiaries confused and overwhelmed. Complicated family dynamics often compound the legal complexities of administration can leave these matters unresolved for months, if not years.
The dedicated attorneys and paralegals of Hirschler’s fiduciary administration team aim to provide clarity and resolution in the administration process. Leveraging years of practical experience and a deep understanding of the nuances of Virginia law that surface during administration, we offer thoughtful guidance to resolve matters quickly and efficiently. For peace of mind, each client receives hands-on, partner level attention and dedicated paralegal support throughout the course of the representation.
We represent individuals and institutions who have questions or need guidance regarding the administration of an estate or trust.
Executors: In many cases, our clients are serving as an executor of an estate or trustee of a revocable or irrevocable trust and need guidance regarding the proper means of carrying out their duties as a fiduciary. Still grieving the loss of a loved one, executors turn to Hirschler for assistance with all of the decedent’s legal matters.
Beneficiaries: Our clients may also be the beneficiaries of an estate or trust, who seek our counsel with regard to protecting their right to information regarding the administration of an estate or trust and/or their beneficial interests in the assets of the trust or estate.
In addition to advising fiduciaries and beneficiaries on administration matters, Hirschler offers fiduciary administrative services through the appointment of an individual attorney as fiduciary. In that role, the attorney is backed by our team of experienced professionals. In the event an attorney can no longer serve as fiduciary for any reason, a successor Executor or Trustee is selected by the firm’s Board of Directors.
Trust and Estate Administration
- Counsel regarding tax elections and postmortem tax planning
- Representation before local Courts and Commissioners of Accounts
- Representation before Federal and State taxing authorities
- Counsel regarding interpretation of Wills and Trust Agreements
- Counsel regarding on-going administration issues, such as calculation of distributions, disposition of assets, and management of active business enterprises
Tax Preparation Services
- Preparation of Federal and State Estate Tax Returns
- Preparation of Federal and State Fiduciary Income Tax Returns
Estate and Trust Litigation
- Will contests
- Disputes involving interpretation of Wills or Trusts
- Disputes involving breaches of fiduciary duties
- Disputes between fiduciaries and Will or Trust beneficiaries
- Counsel in disputes with state and federal taxing authorities
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019