"The only constant in the healthcare industry is change. Healthcare clients need an advisor who understands the challenges specific to the industry and an advocate who delivers creative solutions for today’s legal and regulatory issues and prepares them for tomorrow."
Emily focuses on assisting hospitals, health systems, and licensed health professionals with contracts and contract disputes, business torts, employment matters, and regulatory compliance. She regularly represents healthcare clients in federal and state courts as well as arbitration, mediation, and administrative proceedings.
Hospitals and health systems are subject to extensive federal and state regulation. On issues ranging from tax appeals, Stark and anti-kickback requirements governing physician-hospital arrangements, and Title IX compliance for healthcare educational institutions, Emily understands the business and legal needs of her healthcare clients. Emily represents providers in business tort actions like defamation, conspiracy, and fraud; enforces physician recruiting agreements; and advises clients regarding Stark and anti-kickback requirements. Her familiarity with the healthcare industry puts clients at ease.
Selected for inclusion as a "Super Lawyer," Civil Litigation: Defense, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2018-2020
Selected for inclusion as a “Super Lawyer,” Health Care, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2017
Named to “Legal Elite,” (Health Law), Virginia Business, 2016-2019
Named a “Rising Star,” Business Litigation and Employment, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2009, 2013, 2015
Enforced physician recruiting agreements and physician-hospital leases in compliance with Stark and the Anti-Kickback Statute.
Secured a favorable ruling from Virginia’s Tax Commissioner for health system client seeking tax exemption for business personal property in provider-based clinics.
Assisted professional school with Title IV, Title IX, and FERPA requirements.
Provided regulatory guidance for joint ventures between physician practice groups and hospitals.
Defended providers in human rights investigation and appeal.
Advised practitioners in DHP investigations.
Challenged and defended provider covenants not to compete, wrongful termination claims, and discrimination claims based on Title VII, Title IX, ADA, ADEA, and FMLA.
Represented medical staff and physicians in peer review investigations, hearings, and appeals.
Coordinated wind-down of practices for retiring licensed professionals.
Advised healthcare providers in vendor / supplier contract and managed care disputes.
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- The Intersection of ADA, FMLA, and Virginia Workers' Compensation Act held at Virginia Medical Group Management Association03.2013
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, and Bankruptcy Code: How They Pertain to Hospital Billing and In-house Collection Departments, American Association of Healthcare Administration Management12.2010
- The Enforceability of Contractual Agreements to Arbitrate: What's Covered, What's Not, and Who Decides?25 Journal of Civil Litigation 533, 01.01.2013
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
Emily is a recovering Latin teacher. After attending the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Go Heels), she earned her Master’s Degree in Classics at the University of Texas at Austin.
Following an obligatory stint in food service, Emily taught high school Latin for six years. She reminds those questioning the utility of a dead language that her knowledge of Latin scored her several research assistant jobs in law school translating 17th century land grants. It also makes her fun at cocktail parties.
Emily devotes considerable energy to UNC basketball and has decorated her office with Carolina’s NCAA championship banners, much to the chagrin of her UVA-educated coworkers.
University of Richmond School of Law, J.D.
- Walter Scott McNeill Law Society
- Moot Court
- Journal of Law and Technology
University of Texas at Austin, M.A., Classics
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., History
- United States District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Fourth Circuit