Hirschler’s multispecialty litigation practice focuses on five core areas: complex commercial disputes, construction litigation, employment disputes, healthcare litigation and real estate litigation. Widely recognized in federal and state courts, at the trial and appellate levels and before federal and state administrative agencies, the firm’s 25 full-time trial lawyers assist businesses and individuals in achieving optimal results – whether the matter is a large, “bet-the-company” case or a more routine commercial dispute.
When clients retain Hirschler, they are confident the team is ready, willing and prepared to take their case to verdict. Unlike many firms, our attorneys are in court every week and can offer deep, battle-tested trial experience. Though we handle a significant number of cases across Virginia, Maryland, the District of Columbia and the Mid-Atlantic, we have experience and are prepared to handle your case anywhere in the country.
Exploring the Options
Not every dispute warrants litigation. Frequently, the primary goal of business clients is quick resolution at a reasonable cost. Hirschler attorneys are equally comfortable in using all forms of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) including arbitration, mediation, judicial settlement and private adjudication. Part of our routine consultation process is educating clients on their options outside of the courtroom.
Resolving disputes of any form can be costly. Among Virginia’s largest law firms, Hirschler embraces value billing and alternative fee arrangements. Any client may request a budget to set expectations at the outset of the case. The budget will be revisited periodically and mid-course adjustments made in budget, staffing or strategy as needed to achieve the client’s goals.
18 team members named to Best Lawyers in America, Litigation, multiple litigation specialties, 2022
Top ranked practice, Band 3, General Commercial Litigation, Virginia, 2021
4 team members ranked by Chambers USA, General Commercial Litigation, Virginia, 2021
14 team members named among “Virginia Super Lawyers,” multiple litigation specialties, 2021
17 team members named among Virginia’s “Legal Elite,” Virginia Business Magazine, 2020
When Hirschler partner Courtney Paulk walks through one of Liphart Steel's facilities, you see her high-fiving her clients – who are also her friends. People – and relationships – are what matter most to Courtney. Her clients know her. She knows them. And they trust her.
After a failed attempt to obtain relief from an exorbitant tax bill, Army Navy Country Club's tax consultant recommended contacting John Walk, co-chair of Hirschler’s litigation and alternative resolution practice. John knows a thing or two about what’s fair and what’s not – especially regarding taxes on real estate.
- 37 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Best Lawyers in America, Three Honored As "Lawyers of the Year" and Nine As "Ones to Watch"08.18.2022
- 37 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2022 Best Lawyers®, Six Honored as "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight as "Ones to Watch"08.19.2021
- Virginia Business Magazine, 11.30.2020
- 26 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2021 Best Lawyers®, 4 Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 3 Listed Among “Ones to Watch”08.20.2020
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Staunton, VA, 10.07.2022-10.08.2022
- Andy Sherrod Participates as Panelist for VBA Annual Meeting Seminar on the Expanded Jurisdiction of the Virginia Court of Appeals01.20.2022
- John Walk Presents During Boyd-Graves Conference On Revision of Virginia’s Statutes On Orders of Publication10.29.21 - 10.30.21
- John Walk Presents During Boyd-Graves Conference On Revision Of Virginia’s Statutes On Orders of PublicationRichmond, VA, 10.04.19 - 10.05.19
- Tampa, FL, 09.05.19 - 09.07.19
- Richmond, VA, 09.24.2018
- Richmond, VA, 08.31.2015
- Fredericksburg, VA, 04.23.2015
- John Walk Shares Insight on Virginia Supreme Court Guidance on Service by Publication, Virginia Lawyers Weekly01.11.2022
- End of the Year Reminder to Local Landowners Seeking to Challenge Assessments of Real Property in the City of Richmond11.03.2020
- Reminder to Local Landowners Seeking to Challenge Assessments of Real Property in the City of Richmond10.12.2020
- Kelly Bundy and Liz Burneson Offer Tips for Subcontractors Faced with Pay-if-Paid Provisions, in Contractor Magazine02.25.2020
- Practical Law, 10.09.2019
- Supreme Court of Virginia Sends a Message to Localities About the Presumption of Correctness Applicable to Real Estate Assessments08.13.2019
- New Law Requires Virginia Employers To Provide Certain Personnel Information to Requesting Employees07.01.2019
- General Assembly Introduces New Guidelines and Penalties for Spoliation of Evidence Effective July 1, 201905.15.2019
- The Virginia Lawyer, 12.2018
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court Rules That Insureds Are Entitled to Reimbursement of Settlement Amounts Paid Despite Insurer’s Refusal To Settle08.05.2015
- Weinberg Land Use Forum News Alert: Important Year-End Deadline for Property Owners in the City of Richmond12.16.2014
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey Holds that Incapacitation of a Facility Amounts to “Direct Physical Loss of or Damage to” the Property12.02.2014
- Implied Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Dealing Enables Judgment Creditor To Pursue Claim for Interest06.26.2014
- Broad Reservation of Rights Letters Containing Non-Waiver Clauses May Be Adequate To Deny Coverage For Any Reason05.29.2014
- What Does It Take To Show Bad Faith? Insurer’s Invocation of Policy Exclusions To Deny Coverage Not Clear and Convincing Evidence of Bad Faith10.16.2013
- Virginia Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Caroline County Board of Supervisors, Clarifies Application of “Aggrieved Party” Standard06.12.2013
- Spencer Allen
- Ambika Biggs
- Stacie Bordick
- Alexander Boyd
- Kelly Bundy
- Elizabeth Burneson
- Andrew Clark
- Evan Clarke
- Sarah Collie
- Franklin Cragle, III
- Thomas Dillon, III
- Mihir Elchuri
- Brittany Falabella
- Mahlon Funk, Jr.
- Barry Hackney
- John Ivins, Jr.
- Allison Klena
- R. Webb Moore
- Courtney Paulk
- Emily Scott
- Andrew Sherrod
- Nathaniel Story
- Wayne Travell
- Robert Vieth
- John Walk
- William Walsh, Jr.
- Jaime Wisegarver
- Charles Witthoefft
- Firm News37 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Best Lawyers in America, Three Honored As "Lawyers of the Year" and Nine As "Ones to Watch"
- ConferenceJohn Walk To Present on Notice Default Judgments at the Annual Boyd Graves Conference
- AchievementEvan Clarke Elected to the Board of Virginia Judges and Lawyers Assistance Program (VJLAP)