"Understanding the client's goals is paramount. Once the goal is established, we can work as a team to get there. That is what I enjoy most — working as a team with my clients to achieve their goals."
As president of Hirschler and head of the firm's litigation section, Courtney knows how to lead people and projects to a successful outcome.
Leveraging deep experience in the construction industry, Courtney advises public and private owners, developers, contractors and subcontractors on a broad range of business matters and disputes, including:
- The negotiation and drafting of contracts (design-bid-build, CM-at-Risk, design-build and construction management)
- Early dispute avoidance and dispute resolution
- Jury and bench trials, mediation and arbitration
- Claims and disputes arising from delay and inefficiency, defective work, payment disputes, performance and payment bonds, mechanic’s liens, design and construction and other project related matters.
Courtney partners with her clients to understand their business objectives and help them achieve the best possible results. Her knowledge of the construction industry allows her to anticipate potential issues and to offer pragmatic solutions to help mitigate disputes.
Courtney is an active member of the Associated General Contractors, serving on the Richmond District Executive Committee of the Virginia Chapter and the Contract Documents and AIA-AGC Joint Committees of AGC America. She is a member of the ABA Litigation Section and Forum on the Construction Industry, as well as the Virginia State Bar Construction Law and Public Contracts Section.
Recently named a fellow of the American Bar Foundation, Courtney has earned numerous accolades throughout her career. She has been recognized as a “Super Lawyer” in construction litigation by Virginia Super Lawyers and as a member of the “Legal Elite” in construction law by Virginia Business. She maintains an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
Named a “Recognized Practitioner,” Construction, Southern Virginia, Chambers USA: Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2018
Selected for inclusion as a “Super Lawyer,” Construction Litigation, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2010-2018
Named among the “Most Influential Women in Virginia,” Virginia Lawyers Weekly, 2015
Named to "Legal Elite," Construction, Virginia Business, 2006-2011, 2013-2014, 2017-2018
Honored as one of the “Top 25 Female Virginia Super Lawyers,” Virginia Super Lawyers, 2011
Fellow, The American Bar Foundation
Martindale-Hubbell: AV Peer Review Rated
Represented an owner in negotiating a $50 million CM-at-Risk contract with creative uses for contingency, staged-completion dates, bonuses for achieving certain milestone dates and shared-savings.
Represented a General Contractor in a 17-day trial against a roofing subcontractor in which the court awarded all damages sought by the GC, denied the relief sought by the roofing subcontractor and awarded the GC attorneys’ fees.
Represented a Design-Builder against a mechanical subcontractor in a six-day arbitration arising from four federal government projects in which the mechanical contractor was seeking damages for delays, disruption and inefficiency. The arbitrator denied all relief sought by the mechanical contractor.
Represented a German manufacturer in a mediation arising from claims for delay and inefficiencies resulting in a schedule analysis to determine cause for purported delays.
Represented a drywall subcontractor in a mediation arising from claims for additional work and delays.
Represented a public owner in a mediation against a General Contractor and design professionals for claims arising out of construction defects related to roof construction.
Represented a Design-Builder in a dispute with an insurance company and subcontractor arising from a fire on a government project.
Represented a General Contractor in an insurance coverage dispute related to an explosion involving new work and an existing building.
Represented a General Contractor in a claim by an Owner claiming defective work on a parking lot.
- Hirschler Fleischer Partner Completes Record-Breaking Swim09.15.2014
- Hirschler to Sponsor Preservation Virginia's "John Marshall, the Supreme Court and the Trail of Tears" SymposiumLibrary of Virginia, Richmond, VA, 05.15.2019
- Courtney Paulk Invited to Participate in University of Richmond - Robins School of Business's C-Suite ConversationsRichmond, VA, 02.12.2019
- Richmond, VA, 10.15.2018
- Courtney Paulk and Kelly Bundy Discuss “Unpreventable Employee Misconduct” Defense in Article for Construction Executive03.19.2019
- The Virginia Lawyer, 12.2018
- Ten Design and Construction Contract Provisions To Negotiate: Part Two of Two, Construction Specifier09.30.2015
- Courtney Paulk and Kelly Bundy Discuss “Unpreventable Employee Misconduct” Defense in Article for Construction ExecutiveConstruction Law Blog, 04.16.2019
- Construction Law Blog, 04.08.2019
- Construction Law Blog, 02.21.2019
- Construction Law Blog, 02.14.2019
- Construction Law Blog, 01.23.2019
- Courtney Paulk to Participate in University of Richmond - Robins School of Business's C-Suite ConversationsConstruction Law Blog, 01.18.2019
- Construction Law Blog, 01.09.2019
- Construction Law Blog, 12.27.2018
- Construction Law Blog, 12.21.2018
- Construction Law Blog, 10.23.2018
- Construction Law Blog, 09.19.2018
- Construction Law Blog, 06.13.2018
- Construction Law Blog, 05.29.2018
- Construction Law Blog, 05.09.2018
- Construction Law Blog, 04.19.2018
- Construction Law Blog, 03.19.2018
- Construction Law Blog, 03.01.2018
- Construction Law Blog, 02.13.2018
- Construction Law Blog, 11.21.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 10.16.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 09.12.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 07.18.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 06.27.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 05.23.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 05.01.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 04.10.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 03.22.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 03.09.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 02.20.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 02.08.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 01.23.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 01.17.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 01.04.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 12.06.2016
- Construction Law Blog, 11.30.2016
- Construction Law Blog, 11.11.2016
- Construction Law Blog, 11.03.2016
- Construction Law Blog, 10.28.2016
- Construction Law Blog, 10.23.2016
- Construction Law Blog, 10.20.2016
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
In addition to practicing law and her firm administration duties, Courtney is an internationally accomplished Open Water Marathon Swimmer.
In 2013, Courtney became the 85th person and 30th woman to achieve the Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming. To achieve this goal, Courtney swam 28.5 miles around the island of Manhattan in both 2011 and 2012, swam across the English Channel in 2012 and 21 miles across the Catalina Channel in 2013.
Courtney completed another Catalina Channel Crossing in 2016, and in 2017, she completed a double crossing of the Catalina Channel and a double swim around Manhattan (known as the “40 Bridges Swim”). In 2018, Courtney attempted a two-way crossing of the English Channel. Though dangerous weather conditions prevented a double swim, Courtney successfully completed her second crossing of the English Channel. Look out, Mother Nature: Courtney will be back and next time, you’d better cooperate!
Courtney brings to her law practice the same passion, drive and work-ethic she devotes to her open water marathon swims.
Construction Law Blog
Construction Law Blog
Courtney and her fellow construction-focused colleagues author Hirschler's Construction Law Blog - a resource for design professionals, contractors, and lower-tier contractors and suppliers. Blog readers can expect concise, easy-to-follow posts on pertinent and timely issues covering the construction process spectrum from concept to close-out. Never miss a post by subscribing here to receive updates.
University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
Mary Washington College, B.A., with honors
- SponsorshipHirschler to Sponsor Preservation Virginia's "John Marshall, the Supreme Court and the Trail of Tears" Symposium
- AchievementHirschler Litigation Attorneys Well Represented On 2019 Super Lawyers List
- Achievement18 Hirschler Lawyers Named to Virginia Super Lawyers 2019, 10 Named Virginia Rising Stars