"Witthoefft is described as 'a very good lawyer who is very strong locally', and 'wins high praise for the breadth of his commercial practice and his extensive experience in litigation, mediation and arbitration.'" Chambers USA
Charles F. (Rick) Witthoefft has more than 45 years of varied trial experience in state and federal courts, often in complex commercial matters, including contract, business tort, securities, entity governance, insurance, land use, professional liability, administrative law, and trust and estate cases.
He is a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, is listed in The Best Lawyers in America for commercial litigation, and has been recognized by Chambers USA as a leading lawyer for business litigation. Rick is the firm’s general counsel and has previously served the firm as president and executive vice president.
Selected as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
Selected for inclusion as a “Super Lawyer,” Business Litigation, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2013-2021
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Arbitration, and Mediation, 2019-2020, 2022
Named a “Leader in the Field,” Litigation: General Commercial, Virginia, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2016 and 2017
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, Arbitration, Woodward/White, Inc., 2014-2017
Named “Lawyer of the Year,” Arbitration, Richmond, Best Lawyers, 2014
Named a “Leader in the Field,” Litigation: General Commercial, Southern Virginia, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2004-2015
AV rated, Martindale-Hubbell
Named to “Legal Elite,” Business Law, Virginia Business
Named Among Virginia Lawyers Weekly “Leaders in the Law”
- 37 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2022 Best Lawyers®, Six Honored as "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight as "Ones to Watch"08.19.2021
- 26 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2021 Best Lawyers®, 4 Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 3 Listed Among “Ones to Watch”08.20.2020
University of Richmond School of Law, J.D.
Hampden-Sydney College, B.A.
- United States District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- United States Circuit Court, Fourth, Fifth and Seventh Circuits
- United States Supreme Court
- Firm News37 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2022 Best Lawyers®, Six Honored as "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight as "Ones to Watch"
- Firm News26 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2021 Best Lawyers®, 4 Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 3 Listed Among “Ones to Watch”
- Achievement18 Hirschler Lawyers Named 2020 Virginia Super Lawyers