Experience, knowledge and value: These are three core attributes that our team provides to our clients facing difficult challenges in the complex areas of bankruptcy, restructuring and creditors’ rights.
The Hirschler team has advised clients in complex cases throughout the Mid-Atlantic Region and beyond. We have represented virtually all parties in the bankruptcy and restructuring arena, including debtors, trustees, creditors' committees, secured lenders, trade vendors and suppliers, asset purchasers, directors and officers and landlords. This range of experience provides our lawyers with a unique insight into the issues facing the many competing stakeholders in these cases.
Our team includes three Bankruptcy Court judicial law clerks, a past chair of the Bankruptcy Section of the Richmond Bar Association, a past president of the Maryland Bankruptcy Bar Association, a former Bankruptcy Trustee for the District of Columbia and a past Chairman of the Business Bankruptcy Committee of the District of Columbia Bar. That level of knowledge, when combined with our depth of experience, sets us apart from our competitors – it eliminates the learning curve and enables us to come up to speed quickly when we undertake new matters.
Hirschler attorneys provide the highest level of experience and knowledge – on par with our largest competitors – at rates that are market-driven and highly competitive. This value-driven approach makes us an ideal fit for any role in any type of case, whether we are counseling a publicly traded company or a small privately-held business. Unlike most of our peers, we are not “pigeon-holed” into a specific type of case or client representation, and we are able to provide our clients with creative, results-oriented legal advice in a most cost-efficient manner.
Debtor and Trustee
Our debtor and trustee engagements, in both bankruptcy (chapter 11 and 7) and out of court restructurings (including receiverships), have covered a wide range of industries and specialties, including health care, coal, retail, construction, and real estate. Our experience and creativity enable us to deliver superior, tangible results in the form of confirmed plans, going-concern sales, out-of-court restructuring agreements, and loan modifications. Representative engagements of debtors and trustees have included:
- InScope International, Inc.
- Hellbender Brewing
- Health Diagnostic Laboratory
- Virginia United Methodist Homes of Williamsburg
- Parham Construction Company
- IBCS Mining
- Tuskeena Wytheville Center
- Cardiac Connections Home Health Care Nursing Services
- S. A. Medical of Virginia
- River City Renaissance
The team has served as counsel to numerous committees of unsecured creditors in chapter 11 cases including:
- Simbeck, Inc
- Body Renew Winchester II, LLC
- Dynamic Construction
- Howard Delivery Service
- Shenandoah Family Farms Cooperative
- Roper Brothers Lumber Company
- Rubatex International
Other Key Stakeholders
Our team represents a variety of other stakeholders and key constituents in bankruptcy, restructuring, and workout settings, including secured and trade creditors, lenders, shareholders, officers and directors, asset purchasers and sellers, landlords, equipment and other lessors, service and goods providers, real estate developers, general contractors and subcontractors, and general unsecured creditors. Our team has represented significant parties in the following chapter 11 cases:
- Toys R Us
- Penn Virginia Corporation
- Mountain Crane
- Outer Harbor Terminal
- Alpha Natural Resources
- Patriot Coal Corporation
- James River Coal Company
- Circuit City Stores
- LandAmerica Financial Group
- Bear Island Paper Company
- Prospect Homes
- S&K Famous Brands
- Movie Gallery
- Fas Mart Convenience Stores
Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights Litigation
Our team routinely engages in a wide array of claims and disputes in state and federal trial courts nationwide, including preference actions, fraudulent transfer and other avoidance litigation, dischargeability complaints, plan objections, lien disputes, claims objections, subordination actions, cash collateral disputes, debtor-in-possession financing matters, enterprise valuations, section 363 asset sales, and secured creditor enforcement actions.
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Amelia Island, FL, 07.23.20 - 07.26.20
- Cambridge, MD, 08.06-19 - 08.08.19
- Amelia Island, Florida, 05.22.2019
- Larry Katz and Steve Leach Chair Panel Discussions At Maryland Bankruptcy Bar Association ConferenceAnnapolis, MD, 05.03.19 - 05.04.19
- Washington, D.C., 04.11.19 - 04.14.19
- Annapolis, MD, 02.04.2016
- We’re All in This Together: Key Considerations for Lenders, Investors and Tenants in the Wake of COVID-1903.27.2020
- Impending Changes to the Bankruptcy Code Improve the Ability of Small Businesses to Reorganize and Add Restrictions to Efforts to Recover Preferential Transfers09.10.2019
- Toys “R” Us Bankruptcy Cases Highlight the Use of Third-Party Releases and “Opt-Out” Provisions in Chapter 11 Plans01.29.2019
- Bankruptcy Courts Empowered To Issue Proposed Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law on Stern Claims06.10.2014
- Law v. Siegel: Chapter 7 Trustees and Bankruptcy Courts Lose, While Debtor’s Fraudulent Behavior Goes Unpunished03.05.2014
- Developments in Complex Individual Bankruptcies: Recent Fourth Circuit Opinions on Underwater Mortgages — Part One: Lien Stripping in Chapter 2012.04.2013
The Impact of COVID-19
The Impact of COVID-19
It may soon be a rare business enterprise that is able to insulate itself from the negative economic effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. While we hope the economy will rebound once the pandemic begins to abate, until then, the Hirschler Restructuring and Creditors Rights Group stands ready to assist clients in addressing the financial challenges of these economically unsettled times.
Whether you are facing the loss or interruption of business, challenging financing relationships, the need to downsize or restructure, or other creditors’ rights issues, the Hirschler team will work with you toward a successful outcome.
Contact us to understand your options and devise a recovery strategy that protects your business and financial health.
Visit our COVID-19 Resource Center for continuing coverage of the financial impact of the pandemic.