Experience, knowledge and value: These are three core attributes that our team provides to our clients facing difficult challenges in the complex areas of bankruptcy, restructuring and creditors’ rights.
The Hirschler team has advised clients in complex cases throughout the Mid-Atlantic Region and beyond. We have represented virtually all parties in the bankruptcy and restructuring arena, including debtors, trustees, creditors' committees, secured lenders, trade vendors and suppliers, asset purchasers, directors and officers and landlords. This range of experience provides our lawyers with a unique insight into the issues facing the many competing stakeholders in these cases.
Our team includes three Bankruptcy Court judicial law clerks, a past chair of the Bankruptcy Section of the Richmond Bar Association, a past president of the Maryland Bankruptcy Bar Association, a former Bankruptcy Trustee for the District of Columbia and a past Chairman of the Business Bankruptcy Committee of the District of Columbia Bar. That level of knowledge, when combined with our depth of experience, sets us apart from our competitors – it eliminates the learning curve and enables us to come up to speed quickly when we undertake new matters.
Hirschler attorneys provide the highest level of experience and knowledge – on par with our largest competitors – at rates that are market-driven and highly competitive. This value-driven approach makes us an ideal fit for any role in any type of case, whether we are counseling a publicly traded company or a small privately-held business. Unlike most of our peers, we are not “pigeon-holed” into a specific type of case or client representation, and we are able to provide our clients with creative, results-oriented legal advice in a most cost-efficient manner.
Debtor and Trustee
Our debtor and trustee engagements, in both bankruptcy (chapter 11 and 7) and out of court restructurings (including receiverships), have covered a wide range of industries and specialties, including health care, coal, retail, construction, and real estate. Our experience and creativity enable us to deliver superior, tangible results in the form of confirmed plans, going-concern sales, out-of-court restructuring agreements, and loan modifications. Representative engagements of debtors and trustees have included:
- Health Diagnostic Laboratory
- A.G. Dillard, Inc.
- Branches of Life LLC
- Mohammad Al Atiyat
- Dobson Homes, Inc.
- Lowery’s Seafood Restaurant
- Rice Timber Solutions, LLC
- Sybil Elaine Baker
- Service Dogs by Warren Retrievers, Inc.
- InScope International, Inc.
- D-Scan, Inc.
- Robert E. Hicks
- Victor M. Dandridge, III
- Cardiac Connections Homes Health Care Nursing Services
- Hellbender Brewing
- Parham Construction Company
- Tuskeena Wytheville Center
- River City Renaissance
- IBCS Mining
- S. A. Medical of Virginia
- Virginia United Methodist Homes of Williamsburg
The team has served as counsel to numerous committees of unsecured creditors in chapter 11 cases including:
- Ann Taylor/Ascena Retail Group, Inc.
- J. Crew/Chino's Holdings
- Simbeck, Inc
- Body Renew Winchester II, LLC
- Dynamic Construction
- Howard Delivery Service
- Shenandoah Family Farms Cooperative
- Roper Brothers Lumber Company
- Rubatex International
- Paper Source, Inc.
- Alpha Medial Holdings, Inc.
Other Key Stakeholders
Our team represents a variety of other stakeholders and key constituents in bankruptcy, restructuring, and workout settings, including secured and trade creditors, lenders, shareholders, officers and directors, asset purchasers and sellers, landlords, equipment and other lessors, service and goods providers, real estate developers, general contractors and subcontractors, and general unsecured creditors. Our team has represented significant parties in the following chapter 11 cases:
- Nordic Aviation Capital
- Cineworld/Regal Cinemas
- LTL Management LLC
- Toys R Us
- Pier 1
- Penn Virginia Corporation
- Mountain Crane
- Outer Harbor Terminal
- Alpha Natural Resources
- Patriot Coal Corporation
- James River Coal Company
- Circuit City Stores
- LandAmerica Financial Group
- Bear Island Paper Company
- Prospect Homes
- S&K Famous Brands
- Movie Gallery
- Fas Mart Convenience Stores
- Balfour Beatty Construction
- HHHunt Homes, LLC
Southern States Cooperative, Inc.
Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights Litigation
Our team routinely engages in a wide array of claims and disputes in state and federal trial courts nationwide, including preference actions, fraudulent transfer and other avoidance litigation, dischargeability complaints, plan objections, lien disputes, claims objections, subordination actions, cash collateral disputes, debtor-in-possession financing matters, enterprise valuations, section 363 asset sales, and secured creditor enforcement actions.
- Brittany Falabella Quoted in Richmond BizSense Article Regarding Her Bankruptcy Client, Office Interiors of Virginia04.26.2023
- 36 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Best Lawyers in America, Three Honored As "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight As "Ones to Watch"08.18.2022
- 37 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2022 Best Lawyers®, Six Honored as "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight as "Ones to Watch"08.19.2021
- Larry Katz Appointed for SubChapter V Trustee in the U.S. Bankruptcy Courts for the District of Columbia, Eastern District of Virginia and Maryland08.04.2021
- Virginia Business Magazine, 11.30.2020
- 26 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2021 Best Lawyers®, 4 Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 3 Listed Among “Ones to Watch”08.20.2020
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Larry Katz to Speak on May 18th at the Annual Meeting of the Bar Association of the District of Columbia’s Bankruptcy and Reorganization Section.05.17.2023
- Britt Falabella to Speak at the VBA 24th Annual Bankruptcy Conference on a Panel with David Cox (Cox Law Group, Lynchburg) and Pete Zemanian (Zemanian Law Group, Norfolk) Titled, "Building Contractor’s in Trouble."05.12.2023
- Britt Falabella to Speak at VSB Annual Bankruptcy Practice Seminar on a Panel with the Honorable Brian Kenney (EDVA Bankruptcy Court - Alexandria) and Jonathan Vivona (Vivona Pandurangi, PLC) Titled, “Ethics: Privacy, Confidentiality and Redaction."03.10.2023
- Robbie Westermann and Britt Falabella Present “Vendors Selling on Credit to a Chapter 11 Debtor: Opportunities and Risks” – a Lorman Webinar.01.25.2023
- Steve Leach Participates as Panelist at the ABI Mid-Atlantic Bankruptcy WorkshopCambridge, MD, 08.05.2022
- Steve Leach Participates as Panelist at the Maryland Bankruptcy Bar Association Annual ConferenceAnnapolis, MD, 05.05.2022
- Amelia Island, Florida, 05.22.2019
- Larry Katz and Steve Leach Chair Panel Discussions At Maryland Bankruptcy Bar Association ConferenceAnnapolis, MD, 05.03.19 - 05.04.19
- Structured Dismissal: Another Creative Chapter 11 Exit Strategy Approved in the Eastern District of Virginia11.19.2021
- Falabella and Story Author “Subcontractor Strategies to Maximize Payment in Bankruptcy," Construction Executive07.29.2021
- Britt Falabella and Allison Klena Offer Fellow Bankruptcy Lawyers Advice on Getting Paid, ABI Journal05.27.2021
- The Small Business Reorganization Act May Be About To Get (Much) Smaller. The Time To Act Could Be Now.03.01.2021
- Modern Restaurant Management, 11.11.2020
- We’re All in This Together: Key Considerations for Lenders, Investors and Tenants in the Wake of COVID-1903.27.2020
- Impending Changes to the Bankruptcy Code Improve the Ability of Small Businesses to Reorganize and Add Restrictions to Efforts to Recover Preferential Transfers09.10.2019
- Toys “R” Us Bankruptcy Cases Highlight the Use of Third-Party Releases and “Opt-Out” Provisions in Chapter 11 Plans01.29.2019
- Construction Law Blog, 05.19.2023
- Construction Law BlogTools to Protect Construction Businesses from the Effects of a Third Party Bankruptcy
- AlertTools to Protect Construction Businesses from the Effects of a Third Party Bankruptcy
- PresentationLarry Katz to Speak on May 18th at the Annual Meeting of the Bar Association of the District of Columbia’s Bankruptcy and Reorganization Section.