"Mike Terry is '…a truly excellent attorney' … 'one of the preeminent practitioners in the field' and … 'can do almost anything.'" Chambers USA
As Hirschler’s former executive vice president and a past chair of the firm’s top-ranked commercial real estate practice, Mike knows that a lawyer is only as good as his or her preparation and judgment.
Practical yet innovative, Mike strives to understand a client’s business needs and goals in order to structure deals in a realistic manner. He reserves judgment on the best solution to a client’s problem, remaining open to all approaches until the issues have been carefully analyzed. Leveraging deep knowledge of the law and his client’s business, he structures transactions to directly align with his client’s objectives. Mike’s client-centered approach has earned him a stable of loyal clients, many of whom he has served as outside general counsel for more than a decade.
Mike represents several lending institutions and investors in connection with their loans and investments in Virginia and throughout the United States and foreign jurisdictions. He also represents developers, property owners and tenants in connection with the acquisition, development, financing and leasing of income producing property and raw land for office complexes, corporate headquarters, planned unit developments and retail projects.
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate, 1995-2022
Named as “Leader in the Field,” Real Estate, Southern Virginia, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2004-2020
Named among the “Leaders in the Law,” Virginia Lawyers Weekly, 2017
Selected for inclusion as a “Super Lawyer,” Real Estate, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2004-2015, 2017 and 2018
Named to “Legal Elite,” (Real Estate/Land Use), Virginia Business
Included in Super Lawyers as a “Top 50 Lawyer in Virginia,” 2006-2011; Top 100 Lawyer in Virginia in 2012
AV rated, Martindale-Hubbell
A respected thought leader, Mike has authored a number of articles pertaining to real estate, including four chapters in Contract Law in Virginia, published by the Virginia Law Foundation, and has lectured at several CLE programs.
Representation of lenders and borrowers in financial restructuring and pre-bankruptcy planning and negotiation. Successfully assisted the financial restructuring of a wide range of commercial businesses and real estate development companies.
Representation of numerous lenders in collecting their credit and realizing upon their collateral.
Consulting with business owners and negotiating on their behalf with respect to organization of assets, general business planning and division/dissolution of business organizations.
Representation of financial institutions and investors in the purchase and sale of loan portfolios and servicing portfolios.
Representation of sellers and purchasers of real property in all aspects of the development, leasing, financing, acquisitions and dispositions of real property.
Representation of institutional and private lenders in the origination, administration and resolution of construction and permanent loans, including representation of the lead agent in syndicated loans.
Representation of investors and operators in the acquisition and financing of operating business.
Represented the family owners of manufacturing and sourcing companies in Canada, Australia and China with the sale of the companies to a European purchaser.
Acted as Lender’s or Developer’s counsel in connection with the constructing of three premier office buildings in downtown Richmond.
- 37 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2022 Best Lawyers®, Six Honored as "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight as "Ones to Watch"08.19.2021
- Virginia Business Magazine, 11.30.2020
- 26 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2021 Best Lawyers®, 4 Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 3 Listed Among “Ones to Watch”08.20.2020
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Hirschler Fleischer and Gateway Plaza Project Make Front Page News in Mid-Atlantic Real Estate Journal10.15.2013
- Richmond, VA, 06.14.2019
- We’re All in This Together: Key Considerations for Lenders, Investors and Tenants in the Wake of COVID-1903.27.2020
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
Though the practice of law can be all consuming, Mike works hard to balance work and family. He and wife, Stephanie, enjoy traveling, in particular, trips to the mountains and overseas travel through Europe and the United Kingdom. Closer to home, you might find Mike studying medieval history, drinking craft brews and playing poker.
30 years ago, Mike developed an interest in horse training and competition – activities that provide both physical activity and continuous learning. If he hadn’t pursued a legal career, it’s likely he would have been a veterinarian or rancher. Mike’s love of western equestrian sport provides a life-long pursuit and a natural segue for his pro bono work with the Virginia Reining Horse Association. He and Stephanie have lived on a horse farm just outside of Richmond since 1990. They spent many years breeding, training and showing quarter horses and enjoying family time with their children who grew up riding and showing horses.
Fun fact: Prior to law school, Mike had a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) and drove trucks for Mayflower. He also worked as a longshoreman.
- Bankruptcy, Restructuring and Creditors Rights
- Financial Restructuring, Workouts, and Dissolution
- Real Estate Acquisitions and Dispositions
- Commercial Real Estate
- Creditors and Creditors Committees Representation
- Debtor and Trustee Representation
- Financing and Private Capital Formation
- Loan Portfolios
- Real Estate Finance and Investment
William & Mary Law School, J.D.
University of Richmond, B.A., Phi Beta Kappa
- Firm News37 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2022 Best Lawyers®, Six Honored as "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight as "Ones to Watch"
- Firm News46 Hirschler Attorneys Named Among Virginia's Legal Elite
- Firm News26 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2021 Best Lawyers®, 4 Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 3 Listed Among “Ones to Watch”