Hirschler attorneys do more than simply close real estate purchase and sale transactions. We provide excellent legal representation in order to guide clients through every aspect of the transaction, from initial structuring considerations through to closing with investments for acquisition or disposition of real property. We strive to understand the client’s business as well as the current issues, people, and institutions that drive the client’s industry and its transactions. We work with our clients to implement creative and efficient solutions to challenging transactions in order to event the most challenging deals.
The firm represents a range of clients, from local owners and developers just starting their business, to regional and national developers, to companies whose day to day business is not real estate development. We represent office and mixed-use developers, national apartment developers, regional hospital systems, Fortune 500 corporations, shopping center owners/operators and energy companies with all aspects of their real estate needs.
- Initial transaction structuring including the creation of joint-venture agreements and tax analysis.
- Preparation and negotiation of purchase and sale agreements, integrated project documents and financing documents.
- Transaction due diligence, including resolution of title and survey issues, review of leases and environmental site assessments.
- Closing coordination to ensure the timely and efficient closing of the transaction.
Our attorneys routinely represent clients on projects involving the following:
- Office buildings
- Mixed-use projects
- Residential developments
- Industrial, manufacturing and warehouse facilities
- Commercial condominiums
- Shopping centers
- Regional malls
- Single retail buildings
- Vacant land
Ongoing representation of HHHunt Corporation in commercial real estate and land use/zoning matters; most recently, the negotiation of residential land acquisitions, and assisted living facility (ALF) and multifamily rezonings and acquisitions in Central Virginia.
Ongoing representation of multiple large multi-family investor operators with portfolios of $500M or more.
Ongoing representation a real estate fund manager in setting up the fund, and in the acquisition and financing of more than 30 grocery store-anchored shopping centers in the southeast since the formation of the fund, with most acquisitions being of a single shopping center.
Ongoing representation of a national apartment developer in negotiations to acquire sites for re-development in Baltimore, Chicago and Washington.
Handled acquisition and disposition of multiple retail shopping centers, outparcels and two medical office buildings for a single out of state client investor. The properties are located in Maryland and Virginia.
Advised on the highly publicized multibillion dollar sale by White Lodging Services Corporation of 100 hotel properties. Of these, 87 of the properties were transferred simultaneously. To facilitate the transfers, the loans on approximately 30 properties were defeased, and 24 other properties were sold “subject to” securitized debt.
Representation of non-profit affordable housing developer in the acquisition and sale of affordable senior housing apartment projects, including advising on the exercise of rights-of-first-refusal and option agreements.
Representation of foodservice entity in multimillion dollar sale to a Richmond-based insurer. Hirschler handled the deal negotiation, subdivision and sale of the 5.7 acre property.
Hirschler has also served as outside real estate counsel to the corporate office and each of the six local systems of the Maryland-based healthcare system. Hirschler provides real estate counsel and transactional support service to the client in the areas of land use, acquisition/sales, financing, ground leasing and office leasing endeavors throughout Virginia, Maryland, South Carolina, Florida and Kentucky. Notable 2018/19 projects include:
- Rezoning of Westhampton School and working with development partners on structuring multi-layer ground leases and mixed-use condominium to permit development.
- Acquisitions for new free-standing community health centers in South Carolina.
- Office lease for redevelopment of in-line retail space for two-story, approximately 15,000 square foot medical office building for employed physician practice in a Whole Foods-anchored retail center.
From site acquisition and development, to occupancy and sale, Four Points' Steve Cassell knows Justine Fitzgerald can navigate any obstacle.
Fredericksburg Office Managing Partner John McManus knows the secret to The Wack Companies’ success – vision and focus. Whether advising on land acquisitions, development, zoning or investment – or negotiating contracts, covenants, easements, leases or financing – Hirschler’s real estate team is committed to seeing the client's vision come to life.
- James Theobald and Jeff Geiger Discuss Richmond’s Real Estate Market in Video for VCU Real Estate Trends Conference10.16.2019
- Richmond, VA, 11.13.2019
- Richmond, VA, 10.11.2018
- PresentationJim Theobald Moderates "The Future of Suburban Development and Homebuilding"
- Media MentionJames Theobald and Jeff Geiger Discuss Richmond’s Real Estate Market in Video for VCU Real Estate Trends Conference
- Hirschler Team Assists Rappahannock Area Community Services Board (RASCB) with Major Acquisition