"One of the most important roles a lawyer can play is that of a strategic team leader. Our clients often face complex business problems that demand creative, practical and collaborative solutions."
Most client problems do not fall neatly into one category or another. Many involve overlapping concerns which require a comprehensive approach in order to achieve an effective resolution. As a member of both the firm’s bankruptcy and creditors’ rights practice and the firm’s commercial real estate practice, Kristen provides a “big picture” perspective to businesses, lenders and individuals to achieve their business goals, whether through a financial restructuring, formal bankruptcy, or the purchase, sale or refinancing of real property.
Kristen represents debtors and creditors in bankruptcies and financial workouts in Virginia, the District of Columbia, and Maryland. On the debtor side, she has represented business debtors in chapter 11 reorganizations and liquidations, chapter 7 liquidations, financial workouts, and dissolutions. On the creditor side, Kristen has represented business and individual creditors, as well as unsecured creditor committees, in chapter 11, chapter 7 and chapter 13 bankruptcy cases, adversary proceedings, mediations, and related civil litigation. She has also served as counsel to chapter 11 and chapter 7 trustees and to post-confirmation liquidating trusts.
Kristen also represents buyers, sellers, and lenders in the sale and financing of shopping centers, hotels, and residential/mixed use developments in the DC metro area and nationally. These transactions have involved traditional financing, mezzanine financing, and preferred equity agreements. Kristen works with clients to leverage new financing vehicles, including Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) and EB-5 financing transactions.
In addition to her work with business clients, Kristen also has represented numerous pro bono clients in domestic relations, estate planning and landlord-tenant matters.
Best Lawyers in America® for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2022-2024
Named to “Legal Elite” (Bankruptcy Creditors Rights), Virginia Business, 2004, 2008, 2016, 2017, 2020-2022
AV-Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
Benjamin R. Civiletti Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year Award
Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Debtor Representation
InScope International, Inc. (United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia) – Government contractor, IT staffing services.
8133 Leesburg Pike, LLC and International Place at Tysons, LLC (United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia) – Office building and adjacent land.
GreenTech Automotive, Inc., et al. (United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia) – Electric car design, development, and production facility funded through the EB-5 Program.
Martin’s View Apartments, LLC (United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia) – Apartment building.
Graphic Trade Bindery, Inc., d/b/a Craftsman Press (United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland) – Regional printing company.
WSG Arundel One, LLC, et al. (United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland) – Retail shopping center owner.
Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Debtor Representation
Wes Worsham Fire Protection LLC and Native American Sprinkler & Supply Company (United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia) – Sprinkler design and installation company.
James T. Redding, Inc. (United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland) – Construction/development company.
Restore America’s Voice PAC, Inc. and Restore America’s Voice Foundation (United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia) – Political action committee and fund raising affiliate.
Artifact, LLC (United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia) – Custom home builder.
David and Jane Fairweather (United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland) – Individual Debtors.
Quality Time Early Learning Center, Inc. (United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland) – Private pre-school and elementary school.
Osama El-Atari (United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia) – Individual debtor.
Koger Management, Inc. (United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia) – Residential community/association management services company.
Pier One, Inc. (United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia) – Representation of commercial landlord.
Resurrection Life Ministries, Inc. (United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Tennessee) – Representation of the Trustee for the Series A Bondholders.
Southern Season, Inc. (United States Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of North Carolina) – Representation of Commercial Landlord.
CR-RSC Tower I, LLC (United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland) – Representation of real estate developer contract counterparty.
Lehman Brothers Holdings, Inc. (United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York) – Representation of foreign exchange transaction counterparty.
Creditor Committee Representation
Howard Delivery Service, Inc. (United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of West Virginia) – Freight trucking company.
Global Computer Enterprises, Inc. (United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia)-Government contractor.
Real Estate Finance and Hospitality
Representation of national hotel operator in mezzanine financing transactions.
Representation of EB-5 lender in hotel and apartments construction loans.
Representation of owner of retail shopping center in sale of property.
Representation of part owner of retail shopping center in sale of ownership interest.
Representation of owner of apartment complex in financial restructuring.
Representation of PACE lender in financing transactions.
Representation of national medical care provider in lease transactions.
- Hirschler Grows Best Lawyers in America Recognitions to 46 Attorneys, Two Honored as “Lawyers of the Year” and Nine as “Ones to Watch”08.17.2023
- 36 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Best Lawyers in America, Three Honored As "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight As "Ones to Watch"08.18.2022
- 37 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2022 Best Lawyers®, Six Honored as "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight as "Ones to Watch"08.19.2021
- Virginia Business Magazine, 11.30.2020
- Larry Katz, Kristen Burgers, and David Swan to Speak at the 2023 ABI Mid-Atlantic Bankruptcy Workshop08.2023
- From the Courthouse to the Big House: Bruce Matson, Podcast with Judge Elizabeth L. Gunn of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia Speaks with Kristen Burgers04.05.2023
- Washington, D.C., 12.01.2022
- Kristen Burgers and Carrie O’Malley To Present CLE on Local Opinions in Real Estate Transactions, July 1907.19.2022
- Cambridge, MD, 08.06.19 – 08.08.19
- Washington, D.C., 04.11.19 - 04.14.19
- Austin, Texas, 02.10.2019 - 02.13.2019
- Faculty member, Nuts and Bolts of Bankruptcy Law, National Business Institute Seminar08.2013
- Kristen Burgers is a Co-Editor for the Chapter on Bankruptcy Appeals in the Commercial Bankruptcy Litigation (Second Edition) Treatise2023
- Structured Dismissal: Another Creative Chapter 11 Exit Strategy Approved in the Eastern District of Virginia11.19.2021
- The Small Business Reorganization Act May Be About To Get (Much) Smaller. The Time To Act Could Be Now.03.01.2021
- Impending Changes to the Bankruptcy Code Improve the Ability of Small Businesses to Reorganize and Add Restrictions to Efforts to Recover Preferential Transfers09.10.2019
- Commercial Bankruptcy Litigation Manual, Chapter Co-editor2016 to present
- Kristen Burgers and Andrew Currie Co-author Bankruptcy Issues Featuring Joint Ventures, ABI Journal11.2010
- Construction Law Blog, 05.19.2023
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
Outside of the office, Kristen enjoys spending time with her horses and dogs. A lifelong equestrian, Kristen rode professionally before going to law school. She now enjoys raising and training warmblood horses as hunters, jumpers, eventers and occasionally dressage horses. Royal Tribute, a horse Kristen selected as a four-month old, went on to become the 2009 Future Event Horse East Coast champion and the 2011 Young Event Horse national champion. Kristen also has six rescue dogs, which are a source of constant entertainment.
The Hirschler Bankruptcy team is pleased to present Bankruptcy Couch Counsel, a series of brief videos addressing the legal and business issues keeping you up at night.
Have questions about the information we present or a topic you'd like to see covered on a future Bankruptcy Couch Counsel? Contact any member of the team.
The Impact of COVID-19
The Impact of COVID-19
It may soon be a rare business enterprise that is able to insulate itself from the negative economic effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. While we hope the economy will rebound once the pandemic begins to abate, until then, the Hirschler Restructuring and Creditors Rights Group stands ready to assist clients in addressing the financial challenges of these economically unsettled times.
Whether you are facing the loss or interruption of business, challenging financing relationships, the need to downsize or restructure, or other creditors’ rights issues, the Hirschler team will work with you toward a successful outcome.
Contact us to understand your options and devise a recovery strategy that protects your business and financial health.
Visit our COVID-19 Resource Center for continuing coverage of the financial impact of the pandemic.
- Bankruptcy, Restructuring and Creditors Rights
- Creditors and Creditors Committees Representation
- Debtor and Trustee Representation
- Financial Restructuring, Workouts, and Dissolution
- Real Estate Finance and Investment
- Commercial Real Estate
- Loan Portfolios
- Property-Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) Financing
- Real Estate Acquisitions and Dispositions
- Law clerk for the Honorable Robert G. Mayer of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
George Mason University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
The University of Georgia, M.Ed.
Randolph-Macon Woman’s College, B.A., summa cum laude
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- AlertBank Failures: An Anomaly, or a Sign of Things to Come?
- Firm NewsHirschler Grows Best Lawyers in America Recognitions to 46 Attorneys, Two Honored as “Lawyers of the Year” and Nine as “Ones to Watch”
- ConferenceLarry Katz, Kristen Burgers, and David Swan to Speak at the 2023 ABI Mid-Atlantic Bankruptcy Workshop