"My clients are unique in their backgrounds, experiences, and objectives. I enjoy the process of determining and implementing the best path forward to achieve their short-term and long-term goals."
John’s real estate practice focuses primarily in the Commonwealth of Virginia in Fredericksburg, Blacksburg, and Northern Virginia. He also manages real estate transactions in other states and countries based on the needs of his clients. John’s real estate clients include businesses and individuals engaged in real estate development, construction, home building, sales, leasing and operations. Among these clients are developers of commercial and mixed use projects, real estate investors, lenders, residential home builders, commercial and retail owners, non-profits, general contractors, and end users.
John also advises business owners, contractors, physicians, defense contractors and individuals on business operational and transactional matters. He works with individuals in the formation of limited liability companies and corporations (operating and shareholder agreements) and counsels clients in estate planning and the preparation of wills, powers of attorney, trusts, and advanced medical directives.
John is managing partner of Hirschler’s Fredericksburg office. He also serves on the firm’s Board of Directors and as chair of the Information Technology Committee.
AV Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
Named to "Legal Elite," Real Estate/Land Use, Virginia Business, 2009-2011, 2013-2014, 2019-2020
John takes a practical approach to managing the real estate process from the initial negotiation of contracts; analysis of feasibility studies (title, environmental reports, surveys, zoning, survey, entitlements); draft of covenants, restrictions and easements for office, industrial, retail, residential and mixed use projects; financing; and navigating the necessary governmental approvals with local government attorneys, planners, zoning administrators, engineers and staff. John’s prior experience as an in-house counsel with a national title insurer proves invaluable in this process.
- Liberty Place Partners, LLC, in the acquisition, financing, investment structuring, leasing and development of a 83,000 square foot, mixed use condominium project and parking garage in downtown Fredericksburg, Virginia.
- Stateson Homes, LLC in the acquisition of finished, residential lots and the construction of single family homes and townhouses in Blacksburg and Christiansburg, Virginia.
- EOR, LLC and related entities in the sale of a portfolio of industrial properties located in Virginia, Maryland and North Carolina.
- Design Storage & Handling, Inc., and its related entities, in its business operations and related distribution center acquisitions and leases.
- Turbine Asset Holdings Group, LLC, in the operation of its airplane parts business and financing transactions.
- Rappahannock Development Group, LLC and related entities in the acquisition of commercial property for renovation and repurposed office and retail uses.
- Union Bank & Trust in acquisition and development loans for large mixed use projects in Gainesville and Fredericksburg, Virginia.
- Eastern Sports Management, LLC in the leasing and management of indoor sports facilities in Virginia Beach, Spotsylvania and Stafford, Virginia and Pennsylvania.
- Lee Garrison and related entities in the acquisition, rezoning, development and sale of residential and commercially leased properties and related conservation easements.
- Thomas J. Wack, and related entities in the planning, development and sale of office and industrial parks.
- Zenith Properties, LLC, in the commercial leasing and subleasing of airplane hangars in Prince William County, Virginia.
- Rappahannock Goodwill Industries, Inc., in the leasing and acquisition of office headquarters and multiple retail store properties and operational matters.
- Virginia Business Magazine, 11.30.2020
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Fredericksburg, VA, 02.19.2019
- Fredericksburg, VA, 04.23.2015
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
Growing up the youngest of five in an Irish-Catholic family provided a solid foundation for a life as a lawyer. John learned the importance of family, faith, love and selflessness, but he also begrudgingly learned other lessons and skills: Failed negotiations can lead to three days of the same game of Monopoly. Being the loudest or most aggressive may work sometimes, but may also land you in the middle seat in an over-packed station wagon on an 11-hour road trip. Working collaboratively leads to a bigger and better fort than going it alone. It was these experiences that ultimately shaped John’s practice and his flexible and creative approach to meeting client needs.
Beyond the office, John enjoys playing golf, amateur photography, corn hole and hiking in Maine and Virginia state and national parks and the Civil War battlefields in Spotsylvania and Fredericksburg, Virginia with his family and yellow lab, Chief.
He is an avid reader of the Wall Street Journal and books related to American history, particularly the Civil War, World Wars I and II, and non-fiction sports. Maine and Outer Banks, NC are favorite vacation spots.
Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D.
Johns Hopkins University, M.S., Real Estate
Bowdoin College, B.A., History