Regarded for creativity and proficiency in drafting, negotiating and closing high-profile leasing transactions, Hirschler attorneys are well positioned to meet our clients’ needs in any commercial real estate matter. Representing both landlords and tenants, the commercial leasing practice takes pride in crafting custom approaches to contested lease issues and guiding the transaction to the best possible conclusion.
Through decades of experience, our deep roster of leasing attorneys have a sophisticated and well-rounded skill set, advising clients not only on the legal implications of a lease, but also on the business and economic ramifications. Unlike peers at larger firms, our attorneys avoid silos and regularly collaborate with colleagues across practice groups to generate a mixture of knowledge required to achieve each client’s goals.
From shopping centers to hospital systems to corporate headquarters, our leasing team counsels a range of clients on a full spectrum of leasing services. This includes ground leases, and their unique issues involving the construction of improvements by the tenant, as well as permitted uses, maintenance standards, insurance, casualty restoration, adjustment of rent and financing concerns.
Hirschler maintains long-standing relationships with business, government and community leaders throughout the Mid-Atlantic region. The know-how of our attorneys translates into positive outcomes for our clients. Here are four recent examples:
Acted as leasing counsel for the developer of Libbie Mill – Midtown, an 80-acre premier mixed-use community in downtown Richmond, on aspects including negotiation of leasing brokerage agreements, guidance on market lease terms and alternative lease provisions to move beyond impasses. Completed leases include the 50,000-square-foot world headquarters for Lumber Liquidators, Shagbark, a AAA 4-Diamond restaurant, the 30,000-square-foot headquarters for Rutherfoord, a Marsh & McLennan Agency, a TowneBank branch, a 9Round Fitness kickboxing studio and the Richmond Memorial Health Foundation office, among others.
Completed leasing for TownePlace at Huguenot shopping center, which was redeveloped from a dated office park into a modern retail center. Tenants include Mellow Mushroom, Cava Grill, First Watch and Uptown Cheapskate.
Represented tenants in the sale and leaseback of the 105,000-square-foot headquarters for one of the largest farmer cooperatives in the United States.
Represented the owner of the Lady Byrd Hat Factory, a historic building on the canal in downtown Richmond, in leasing 30,000 square feet to CarMax. This projected converted a former entertainment venue into trendy office space.
Hirschler served as outside real estate counsel to the corporate office and each of the six local systems of the Maryland-based healthcare system. Hirschler provides real estate counsel and transactional support service to the client in the areas of land use, acquisition/sales, financing, ground leasing and office leasing endeavors throughout Virginia, Maryland, South Carolina, Florida and Kentucky. Notable 2018/19 projects include:
- Rezoning of Westhampton School and working with development partners on structuring multi-layer ground leases and mixed-use condominium to permit development.
- Acquisitions for new free-standing community health centers in South Carolina.
- Office lease for redevelopment of in-line retail space for two-story, approximately 15,000 square foot medical office building for employed physician practice in a Whole Foods-anchored retail center.
Fredericksburg Office Managing Partner John McManus knows the secret to The Wack Companies’ success – vision and focus. Whether advising on land acquisitions, development, zoning or investment – or negotiating contracts, covenants, easements, leases or financing – Hirschler’s real estate team is committed to seeing the client's vision come to life.
- Laura Lee Garrett to Join Leaders From Timmons, Chesterfield County, Emerson Companies, Commonwealth Commercial Partners for Metro Business Live PanelRichmond Times-Dispatch, 300 E. Franklin Street, Richmond, VA, 03.26.2019
- Washington, DC, 02.01.2019
- Richmond, VA, 10.11.2018
- Fairfax, VA, 10.02.2018
- Achievement18 Hirschler Lawyers Named to Virginia Super Lawyers 2019, 10 Named Virginia Rising Stars
- PresentationLaura Lee Garrett to Join Leaders From Timmons, Chesterfield County, Emerson Companies, Commonwealth Commercial Partners for Metro Business Live Panel
- PresentationJustine Fitzgerald Participates In Best Practices for Office Leasing Panel