"My clients are like precious gems to me. I realize how valuable they are to my success, and treat each one special. The investment of all my talents into their transactions has often led to friendships with my clients as well."
Laura Lee handles all client matters with great care and sense of urgency, a philosophy of law practice that has earned her the loyalty of a diverse client base of real estate professionals. Clients value her commitment to helping them manage their risk exposure, while bringing transactions to an efficient and successful close. To serve the unique needs of her clients, Laura Lee routinely collaborates with other lawyers at the firm to provide the specific skill set tailored for the particular situation.
Developers, end users and lenders involved in the development, leasing and management of commercial projects, including retail, office, multi-family, mixed-use, and healthcare facilities are typical clients of Laura Lee’s. With more than 28 years of commercial real estate experience, she is routinely called upon to assist real estate investors with their most complex purchase, sale and finance transactions.
A short-term rental host on Airbnb and VRBO, Laura Lee has a special interest in the regulation of short-term rentals. She is the founder of the only short-term rental hosts association in Virginia, a membership based organization designed to provide a platform for short-term rental hosts to share best practices and present a united voice.
In addition to private practice, Laura Lee was in-house real estate counsel for two Fortune 500 retailers, Circuit City and Richfood. She was an adjunct professor at her alma mater, William and Mary Law School, teaching real estate transactions.
Giving back to the community is a passion of Laura Lee’s. Throughout her career she has served in leadership positions for non-profit organizations and industry trade groups, including the Better Housing Coalition, RVA ToolBank, ULI, CREW, ChildSavers and Fan District civic associations.
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate, 2013-2022
Selected for inclusion as a “Super Lawyer,” Real Estate, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2013 and 2014
Named among Virginia’s “Legal Elite,” (Real Estate), Virginia Business Magazine, 2008, 2010-2012, 2018-2020
AIA Richmond 2012 Chapter Citation in recognition of positive influence on the built environment in the City of Richmond
Chosen one of CREW’s Top 20 Women in Commercial Real Estate, 2010
Negotiated cutting edge leases with some of the most popular concepts in the fast casual restaurant space, including Mellow Mushroom, Cava Grill, Tijuana Flats, First Watch, Mission BBQ and Texas Roadhouse.
Ongoing lease negotiations with office and retail tenants at Libbie Mill – Midtown, an 80 acre mixed use development in the heart of Richmond, including Shagbark restaurant, Lumber Liquidator’s world headquarters and Crafted brewpub and eatery.
Counseled a European grocer entering the U.S. market in its first five site acquisitions in America.
Represented a regional developer of multiple grocery anchored neighborhood shopping centers on land assemblage, leasing, financing and construction.
Served as counsel to EB-5 lender in construction loans for the University of Miami Life Science and Technology Park and the Pierce mixed-use high rise tower in Boston’s Fenway neighborhood.
Regularly acts as local counsel in financing transactions involving national lenders making multimillion dollar loans secured by real estate in Virginia.
- 37 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Best Lawyers in America, Three Honored As "Lawyers of the Year" and Nine As "Ones to Watch"08.18.2022
- 37 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2022 Best Lawyers®, Six Honored as "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight as "Ones to Watch"08.19.2021
- Virginia Business Magazine, 11.30.2020
- 26 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2021 Best Lawyers®, 4 Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 3 Listed Among “Ones to Watch”08.20.2020
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Laura Lee Garrett To Present To Richmond Property Owners Association On Short Term Rental Real EstateWestwood Club, 6200 West Club Lane, Richmond, VA 23226, 05.14.19
- Laura Lee Garrett to Join Leaders From Timmons, Chesterfield County, Emerson Companies, Commonwealth Commercial Partners for Metro Business Live PanelRichmond Times-Dispatch, 300 E. Franklin Street, Richmond, VA, 03.26.2019
- Richmond, VA, 02.07.2019
- Laura Lee Garrett speaks about VRBO, Airbnb and Other Short Term Rentals at a National Business Institute SeminarFairfax, VA, 10.2018
- Fairfax, VA, 10.02.2018
- Tax Credit Alert: IRS Releases Guidance under Section 50(d) for Lease-Pass Through Investment Credit Partnerships07.21.2016
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
To balance out her hectic schedule between private law practice and hosting guests at her short term rental, Laura Lee regularly practices Ashtanga yoga, a dynamic, physically demanding practice that synchronizes breath and movement to produce an internal heat designed to purify the body. She also spends as much time as possible in Nags Head, North Carolina enjoying her ocean-front home and helping her husband run their vacation cottages rental business, Sea Spray Cottages. She is a loyal UVA sports fan, and during basketball season can be found standing, not sitting, in front of the television cheering on the ‘Hoos.
William & Mary Law School, J.D., 1990
University of Virginia, B.A., 1985