"Environmental issues can seem scary, but they don’t have to be. I truly enjoy serving as a counselor for clients and I take great satisfaction in providing practical and cost-effective solutions."
Lisa (Goodwin) Ivins loves using her analytical skills to provide practical solutions when environmental or general real estate issues arise. She recognizes that a clear understanding of her clients' short- and long-term goals is essential for ensuring they are protected from liability and can reach their business objectives. Her technical knowledge and experience is invaluable when transactions are in danger of failing due to concerns over environmental risks. With more than 25 years’ experience, Lisa guides clients through environmental regulatory and compliance matters and advises on all aspects of real estate transactions, evaluates environmental assessments of property, manages due diligence investigations, negotiates brownfields redevelopment projects, and counsels buyers, sellers, and lenders regarding potential environmental risks and mitigation.
Lisa assists clients with all aspects of commercial real estate transactions, including leasing, acquisition, and development, with specific expertise handling stormwater issues. In addition to advising both local and national real estate developers with brownfields restoration, including navigating the Voluntary Remediation Program, Lisa manages the environmental due diligence for the purchase and sale of manufacturing facilities throughout the country for several venture capital and REIT entities. She has effectively negotiated consent orders with state environmental agencies and the EPA, and is skilled at advising on permitting procedures and challenges to permit conditions and limits. Lisa has experience with PACE transactions and also works with several major solar developers and assists with environmental permitting and land use issues. Lisa also manages the environmental nuances for the divestiture of potentially contaminated properties of a national chemical manufacturer and distributor and has provided environmental oversight for the development of hundreds of cell towers. She has conducted multimedia environmental compliance audits and environmental assessments for major manufacturing clients as well.
Lisa spent more than five years practicing environmental law at Hunton & Williams prior to joining Hirschler to lead its environmental practice. She has past experience managing several major Superfund litigation matters and also has handled commercial litigation matters. Her broad experience in real estate, business, and litigation practice groups allows her to quickly and efficiently manage environmental issues in any type of transaction or dispute.
Best Lawyers in America® for Environmental Law, 2024
Named to "Legal Elite" (Environmental Law), Virginia Business, 2004, 2015-2022
Routinely oversees environmental due diligence process including environmental assessments, advising clients on potential environmental risks and mitigation, negotiating environmental contract terms, and satisfying lenders regarding potential liability.
Extensive experience advising on environmental regulatory and compliance matters, and assisting with voluntary cleanup programs and negotiating consent orders with state and federal agencies.
Skilled at advising on permitting procedures and challenges to permit conditions and limits, including wetlands regulations programs, solid and hazardous waste management programs, CERCLA, the Clean Air Act, and the Clean Water Act.
Ongoing representation of various stakeholders in Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) financing transactions.
Ongoing representation of multinational portfolio company providing environmental expertise with purchase and sale of manufacturing facilities throughout the country.
Ongoing representation of national company providing oversight of divestiture of potentially contaminated properties.
Experience conducting multimedia environmental compliance audits and environmental assessments for major manufacturing clients.
- Hirschler Grows Best Lawyers in America Recognitions to 46 Attorneys, Two Honored as “Lawyers of the Year” and Nine as “Ones to Watch”08.17.2023
- Virginia Business Magazine, 11.30.2020
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Hirschler Land Use Forum to Host a Panel Discussion Regarding U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Declaring the Northern Long-Eared Bat as Endangered Under the ESA03.30.2023
- Lisa Goodwin Presents "Environmental Due Diligence" at the 2019 Virginia Brownfields and Resilience SummitNorfolk, VA, 07.24.19 - 07.25-19
- Lexington, VA, 03.26.19 - 03.28.19
- Richmond, VA, 02.07.2019
- Construction Law Blog, 05.29.2018
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
After her two-year-old son Connor successfully completed treatment for leukemia, Lisa founded “Connor’s Heroes,” a nonprofit that provides support to families in Virginia who have a child battling cancer and also funds pediatric cancer research at the VCU Massey Cancer Center. For 12 years, Lisa helped grow the organization as Founder and Executive Director. Currently, she serves as a member of the Advisory Council and Board of Directors. Additionally, she is an ex officio member of the VCU Massey Cancer Center Advisory Board and former Board Chair of the Barksdale Theatre.
When she isn’t helping deals happen or advocating for pediatric cancer families, she can be found in her “Happy Place” at Lake Gaston or on a ski slope out west. In addition to spending time with her two teenagers, she also has a yellow lab and bernese mountain dog keeping her on her toes.
- Law Clerk to the Honorable John A. MacKenzie, U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of Virginia
University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Manuscripts Editor, University of Richmond Law Review
- National Vice Chair, American Bar Association, Law Student Division
Bucknell University, B.A., cum laude
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Fourth Circuit
- Firm NewsHirschler Grows Best Lawyers in America Recognitions to 46 Attorneys, Two Honored as “Lawyers of the Year” and Nine as “Ones to Watch”
- PresentationHirschler Land Use Forum to Host a Panel Discussion Regarding U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Declaring the Northern Long-Eared Bat as Endangered Under the ESA
- Firm News43 Hirschler Attorneys Ranked Among Virginia's 2022 Legal Elite