"Chuck Rothenberg receives recognition for his 'fine zoning and land use practice,' and transaction work concerning commercial, office and mixed-use projects." Chambers USA
Chuck is a former chair the firm’s commercial real estate section and has been recognized by Chambers USA as a “preeminent real estate outfit offering strength in development, transactional and land use and zoning matters.” His practice focuses primarily on representing institutional owners, developers, commercial landlords and tenants with a focus on purchasing, selling, developing, entitling, leasing and financing health care facilities. In addition, he represents developers in structuring planned unit developments in Central Virginia.
Chuck’s experience includes structuring and drafting ground lease arrangements for various income-producing projects, representing tenant-in-common investors in the acquisition of existing income-producing projects with deferred and reverse exchanges, structuring joint ventures, analyzing portfolios of real estate assets of merging entities and structuring condominium projects to accommodate financing and subdivision requirements for mixed-use, commercial and residential projects.
Anticipating and addressing local government entitlement issues, lender requirements and marketability issues early in a project are hallmarks of Chuck’s value-added service.
Named "Lawyer of the Year" for Land Use and Zoning Law, Richmond, Best Lawyers in America, 2022
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America, Land Use & Zoning Law, 2012, 2014-2022
Named a “Leader in the Field,” Real Estate and Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use, Southern Virginia, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2005-2015, 2017-2021
Named to “Legal Elite” (Real Estate/Land Use), Virginia Business, 2007, 2013-2014, 2016, 2017-2020
Selected for inclusion as a “Super Lawyer,” Real Estate, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2013-2019
Named a “Leader in the Field,” Real Estate and Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use, Virginia, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2016
Named to “Legal Elite” (Environmental/Land Use), Virginia Business, 2004, 2008-2009, 2011
- Ongoing representation of major healthcare system in its multi-state acquisition, sales and leasing endeavors and zoning and entitlements throughout Virginia.
- Ongoing development work for active local developers engaged in mixed use projects in the Richmond Metropolitan area.
- 37 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2022 Best Lawyers®, Six Honored as "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight as "Ones to Watch"08.19.2021
- Virginia Business Magazine, 11.30.2020
- 26 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2021 Best Lawyers®, 4 Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 3 Listed Among “Ones to Watch”08.20.2020
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Richmond, VA, 11.13.2019
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
In his free time, Chuck can often be found at the gym where he needs to work out to counterbalance his other major interests; cooking and eating. During the winters, Chuck looks forward to snowboarding with his family. Recently, he got the bug to learn to sail and obtained his ASA 101 certification.
University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., 1987
- University of Richmond Law Review, Member
State University of New York, College at Oneonta, B.A., 1984, with high honors