“Hirschler is the ‘preeminent real estate outfit offering strength in development, transactional, land use and zoning matters.’… ‘One of the best land use firms in the area.’” Chambers USA
In matters of zoning and rezoning, there is no substitute for relationships – that’s what makes Hirschler unique. The land use and zoning team regularly interacts with municipalities throughout the Richmond and Fredericksburg regions and is made up of reliable, well regarded and results-driven land use lawyers. Clients reap the refined, strategic advocacy generated when veteran, partner-level attorneys are engaged with each project.
As the land use process presents increasing challenges, the expansive real estate and development knowledge of Hirschler attorneys provides clients a clear picture of the planning process, and a defined road map to the finish line. Our lawyers operate with a business mindset, helping developers, property owners, lenders and tenants to be thoughtful and thorough during each phase of planning. As a result, clients identify potential pitfalls early, and avoid missteps that would lead to added time and cost after the project is approved.
Nearly every development effort encounters an entity that wants the land use to remain unchanged. In the face of opposition, our communication savvy attorneys stay focused on the facts, and on promoting a message of community development and economic growth to drive consensus building. Paired with Hirschler’s value proposition of legal excellence and business efficiency, the land use and zoning practice is oriented for client success.
Hirschler is invested in its clients and consistently counsels them to successful outcomes. The firm carefully selects the right attorneys to meet the needs of the specific issues at hand. Here are seven recent examples:
Hirschler secured a significant rezoning win in the City of Fredericksburg on behalf of Norfolk-based real estate developer S.L. Nusbaum. S.L. Nusbaum proposed a rezoning for a 120-unit apartment complex, 78 townhouse units and a 30,000 sqft high-end vehicle sales dealership in an area that many believed should remain zoned for commercial use only. The land use team enlisted support for the project from grocery giant Wegmans and Huber Motors, Inc, and ultimately convinced the City to rezone the land for mixed use. Several members of the City Council supported the project feeling that it covered several city priorities: bringing in workforce affordable housing, new jobs, entry level housing and extensive new tax revenues.
Hirschler’s land use and zoning team was brought in to assist with obtaining governmental approvals and development agreements for Dallas-based Top Golf’s new facility in Henrico County, VA. The project will have a significant impact on the County, creating new jobs and tax revenue.
On behalf of HHHunt, Hirschler’s land use attorneys secured approvals for a mixed use, master planned community called River Mill in Glen Allen, including lobbying the local school board to keep the community in a higher performing school district. To advance the roads and infrastructure that will serve the community, our attorneys negotiated a joint development agreement with Henrico County. Their work for HHHunt also includes obtaining approvals for in-fill projects, multi-family projects and assisted living projects in the Richmond and Fredericksburg regions.
On behalf of Dominion Raceway, Hirschler’s land use attorneys obtain rezoning approval for a multipurpose, car racing entertainment venue in Spotsylvania County that includes a quarter mile oval track for the NASCAR Whelen Race Series, a drag strip and 2.5 mile road course. The project is located just off the Thornburg/I-95 exit and Hirschler further successfully advocated for VDOT and Spotsylvania County to improve the interchange in this area so it can better accommodate the facility, which can hold up to 5,000 persons.
Hirschler’s advocacy work on behalf of Walton Virginia, LLC, includes obtaining rezoning approval from the Spotsylvania County Board of Supervisors for a mixed-use project known as Alexander’s Crossing. The rezoning, the largest in the county’s history, gave Walton the green light to develop 1.558 million square feet of commercial office, industrial and retail uses, and 2,607 mix of residential units.
Hirschler is assisting Power Development, LLC, with its pending special use permit in Spotsylvania County, Virginia to develop the largest solar farm project on the East Coast to include a 500 MW electric generation facility that will also partner with commercial users Microsoft, Apple and University of Richmond.
Hirschler’s land use and zoning team continues to work with Gumenick Properties on the development of the economic development, mixed-use project called Libbie Mill in Richmond. Libbie Mill, which began in 2014, was entitled by the Hirschler team for office, retail and for-sale and for-rent residential uses and is just over 50 percent of the way to buildout. The team continues to work with Gumenick as development activity continues and new users are brought into the project, including a recent corporate headquarters user.
Hirschler partner Charlie Payne doesn’t shy away from a problem. In fact, he likes being the one Dominion Raceway developers Steve Britt and Jerry Evans call when they need help.
Fredericksburg Office Managing Partner John McManus knows the secret to The Wack Companies’ success – vision and focus. Whether advising on land acquisitions, development, zoning or investment – or negotiating contracts, covenants, easements, leases or financing – Hirschler’s real estate team is committed to seeing the client's vision come to life.
- Hirschler Earns 42 National and Regional in 2024 “Best Law Firms” Rankings Across Wide Spectrum of Practice Categories11.02.2023
- 37 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2022 Best Lawyers®, Six Honored as "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight as "Ones to Watch"08.19.2021
- Hirschler Expands Fredericksburg Office with Addition of Real Estate and Corporate Law Partner Janie Rhoads12.04.2020
- Virginia Business Magazine, 11.30.2020
- 26 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2021 Best Lawyers®, 4 Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 3 Listed Among “Ones to Watch”08.20.2020
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- James Theobald and Jeff Geiger Discuss Richmond’s Real Estate Market in Video for VCU Real Estate Trends Conference10.16.2019
- Hirschler Fleischer Chairman James W. Theobald Named a 2014 “Leader in the Law,” Virginia Lawyers Weekly09.05.2014
- Hirschler Land Use Forum to Host a Panel Discussion Regarding U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Declaring the Northern Long-Eared Bat as Endangered Under the ESA03.30.2023
- Baltimore, MD, 11.16.22 - 11.18.22
- Richmond, VA, 11.13.2019
- Richmond, VA, 10.11.2018
- Baltimore, MD, 09.24.2018
- Richmond, VA, 10.12.2015
- Richmond, VA, 05.27.2015
- Fredericksburg, VA, 04.23.2015
- Fredericksburg, VA, 09.11.2014
- Fredericksburg, VA, 09.24.2013
- Local Government Approvals Without Elected Officials In The Room Need Another Look — Fairfax Vote during COVID Voided03.29.2023
- Regional Roundup: Virtual Technology, Process Modifications Keep Rappahannock Area Projects Moving Forward in a Time of Uncertainty04.22.2020
- Virtual Technology and Process Modifications Keep Economic Development Projects Moving Forward in a Time of Uncertainty04.21.2020
- We’re All in This Together: Key Considerations for Lenders, Investors and Tenants in the Wake of COVID-1903.27.2020
- Year-End Reminder to Local Landowners Seeking to Challenge Assessments of Real Property in the Greater Richmond Area12.18.2019
- Charlie Payne Discusses sPower’s Partnership with The Community Foundation before Spotsylvania County BoardFree Lance Star , 08.20.2019
- Richmond Times-Dispatch, 12.07.2018
- Weinberg Land Use Forum News Alert: Important Year-End Deadline for Property Owners in the City of Richmond12.16.2014
- Virginia Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Caroline County Board of Supervisors, Clarifies Application of “Aggrieved Party” Standard06.12.2013
- AlertHanover Comprehensive Plan: Five Takeaways for Developers
- Firm NewsHirschler Earns 42 National and Regional in 2024 “Best Law Firms” Rankings Across Wide Spectrum of Practice Categories
- Client NewsHirschler Secures Historic Rezoning for Massive Data Center Campus in King George County, Virginia.