"Jim Theobald is 'one of the premier land use development lawyers. He has an innate ability to navigate his way through difficult waters.'" Chambers USA
Former Hirschler chairman Jim Theobald is a developer’s lawyer. He has assisted some of the nation’s largest developers and retailers in making their projects a reality for over three decades with Hirschler Fleischer. From contract negotiations through rezoning and permitting, Jim brings a creative, aggressive advocacy to bear in finding a way to make a deal work.
Jim is currently involved in rezoning to repurpose a regional mall as well as a number of economic development opportunities for commercial/industrial and multi-use developments.
He has served Hirschler as a past chairman, past president, former chair of the Real Estate Section and as founder of the firm’s highly regarded Weinberg Land Use Forum.
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America, Land Use & Zoning Law, and Real Estate, 1993-2012, 2014-2021
Selected for inclusion as a “Super Lawyer,” Land Use/Zoning, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2013-2020
Named to “Legal Elite” (Real Estate/Land Use), Virginia Business, 2003-2004, 2006-2014, 2016, 2018-2019
Named to “Legal Elite” (Legal Services/Pro Bono), Virginia Business 2017
Named a “Leader in the Field,” Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use, Southern Virginia, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2004-2015, 2017-2020
Received Chambers USA’s highest ranking, Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use, 2016
Named Richmond Lawyer of the Year, Land Use and Zoning, The Best Lawyers in America, 2015
Named a “Leader in the Law,” Virginia Lawyers Weekly, 2014
Honored as one of the Top 100 Virginia Super Lawyers and one of the Top 50 Richmond, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2013
Virginia Commonwealth University’s Real Estate Circle of Excellence
Fellow, American College of Real Estate Lawyers
Fellow, The American Bar Foundation
AV Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
Represented various buyers and sellers in the structuring, contract negotiating and financing of merger and acquisition transactions.
Represented one of the nation’s largest discount appliance chains in acquiring sites throughout the country. Also structured sale/lease back transactions, including those with foreign investors, and other financing related to the acquisition and development of store locations.
Participated in the assembly, contract negotiations, rezoning, acquisition and financing for numerous mixed-use developments for a large Virginia based developer. Also participated in the preparation of the owner’s association/golf membership documents.
Has provided representation with regard to the formation of planned communities, including condominium documentation.
- 26 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2021 Best Lawyers®, 4 Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 3 Listed Among “Ones to Watch”08.20.2020
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- James Theobald and Jeff Geiger Discuss Richmond’s Real Estate Market in Video for VCU Real Estate Trends Conference10.16.2019
- Hirschler Fleischer Chairman James W. Theobald Named a 2014 “Leader in the Law,” Virginia Lawyers Weekly09.05.2014
- Richmond, VA, 11.13.2019
- Regional Roundup: Virtual Technology, Process Modifications Keep Rappahannock Area Projects Moving Forward in a Time of Uncertainty04.22.2020
- Virtual Technology and Process Modifications Keep Economic Development Projects Moving Forward in a Time of Uncertainty04.21.2020
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
A certified yoga instructor, Jim provided volunteer instruction to the veterans in the PTSD program at the Veterans Administration Hospital and to men in the Richmond City Jail.
From humble beginnings as a bass player with a junior high garage band, he has continued to play in a classic rock band for more than 30 years helping individuals and organizations raise funds for charity. In 2015, Jim and his wife Mary joined four other couples to create Valley Road Vineyards, an award-winning winery near the mountains of western Virginia.
Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D.
College of William & Mary, B.A.
- Ohio (Inactive)
- AchievementJim Theobald Lands Commission Support for Blackwood Development’s One Pouncey Project
- Client NewsJim Theobald Convinces Planning Commission To Approve Expansion of Boulders Apartment Complex
- Firm News26 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2021 Best Lawyers®, 4 Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 3 Listed Among “Ones to Watch”