"My priority is to execute my clients’ vision for their property. I take pride in successfully shepherding a case from the initial purchase through zoning entitlements."
An experienced commercial real estate attorney, Matt’s practice focuses on land use and zoning entitlements, real estate transactions, public utilities and local government law.
Matt represents a variety of clients in land use and zoning, solar, public utility and site plan and subdivision matters throughout Virginia, primarily in Northern Virginia and Central Virginia. He routinely appears before local governments and planning commissions on behalf of developers and property owners to prosecute rezoning, special exception, and similar entitlement matters. He has successfully secured zoning permits and entitlements and land use plan changes for mixed-use projects, residential, office, industrial developments, and solar farms. Matt also regularly represents clients during the site plan and subdivision process, particularly in the drafting and negotiation of subdivision and easement agreements.
In addition to his land use and zoning practice, Matt regularly assists clients with their real estate transactional needs, including the purchase and sale of real estate and easement and development agreement negotiations.
Matt has extensive experience in the area of administrative, local government and municipal law. He has served as deputy general counsel to a Northern Virginia water and waste authority.
Prior to joining Hirschler, Matt was a partner with Bean Kinney & Korman. Additionally, he served as a law clerk in multiple local government offices, including the Fairfax County Attorney’s Office and the City of Alexandria Attorney’s Office.
Selected for inclusion as a “Rising Star,” Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2015, 2019-2022
Named to “Legal Elite,” (Real Estate/Land Use), Virginia Business, 2020
Named among "Top Attorneys," Land Use/Zoning, Arlington Magazine, 2019
Recent representative matters
- Lead counsel for special area planning study and 4.1 Site Plan application for multifamily development in Arlington County
- Lead counsel to community solar developers for entitlement projects across Virginia
- Lead counsel for amendments to zoning entitlements permitting new state-of-the-art production studio in Arlington County's Shirlington neighborhood
- Lead counsel for proffer condition amendment permitting mosque in Fairfax County
- Lead counsel for zoning entitlements permitting 1.2 million square feet of mixed-use residential and retail development in Arlington County's Rosslyn neighborhood, and subsequent amendments for hotel use
- Lead counsel for 27 luxury townhomes in Arlington's East Falls Church neighborhood
- Lead counsel for amendments to entitlements permitting multifamily development in Arlington's Clarendon neighborhood
- Lead counsel for sale of national broadcaster facilities to Arlington County and economic incentives agreement
- Lead counsel for purchase of retail center in Dallas, Texas
- Lead counsel for sale of office parcels owned by government-sponsored enterprise
- Lead counsel to landlord for amendments to lease with national retailer in response to COVID-19
- Lead counsel for negotiation of development agreement related to projects in Arlington's Potomac Yard neighborhood
- Act as local counsel for national lenders and tax equity investors on renewable energy projects in Virginia
- Negotiate easement acquisitions and condemnations for water and sewer utility projects in Prince William County
- Baltimore, MD, 11.16.22 - 11.18.22
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
Outside of work, Matt spends his time with his high school sweetheart, Jess, and their two girls. They make the most of everything Virginia has to offer, from its museums and breweries to its extensive public lands and trails.
George Mason University School of Law, J.D.
Kutztown University of Pennsylvania, B.A., summa cum laude