"Commentators praise Jay Yurow as an 'amazing interpreter of highly technical, important information.' He has extensive experience in the acquisition, financing and leasing of commercial properties." Chambers USA
Jay brings more than 30 years of experience to clients who buy, sell, finance and lease hotels, office and apartment properties, shopping centers and other commercial properties.
Representing borrowers and lenders in senior mortgage loans, mezzanine loans and credit support arrangements, Jay has closed hundreds of hotel finance deals throughout the United States. He has also handled countless finance, sale and leasing transactions involving commercial properties in the Washington Metropolitan area. Working with litigation and bankruptcy colleagues, Jay also counsels clients on strategies for restructuring troubled debt obligations and repositioning underperforming assets.
Prior to joining Hirschler Fleischer, Jay was a partner with Leach Travell and Venable LLP.
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2022-2023
Named a “Leader in the Field,” Real Estate, Northern Virginia, Chambers USA; Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2007-2022
Named to "Legal Elite" (Real Estate Land Use), Virginia Business, 2019
Named to “Top Lawyers” for Real Estate, Washingtonian magazine, 2017-2018
AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
Sales / Acquisitions
Headed a team of lawyers in a highly publicized multibillion dollar sale of 100 hotel properties, 87 of which were transferred simultaneously. To facilitate the transfers, the loans on approximately 30 properties were defeased, and 24 other properties were sold “subject to” securitized debt.
Ongoing representation of a national apartment developer in its negotiations to acquire sites for re-development in Baltimore, Chicago and the Washington Metropolitan area.
Represented the owners of regional shopping centers, office buildings, and industrial and warehouse properties in recent sales transactions.
Assisted Marriott International, Inc. and its lending affiliate, Marriott International Capital Corporation, in creating and implementing a national finance program intended to provide financing for the construction of Marriott-branded properties. During the past twenty-five years, Jay has worked with Marriott on secured financing transactions throughout the United States.
Ongoing representation of a Washington D.C. based EB-5 lender. Recent transactions include financing the construction of the 182-room Cambria Suites and the 150-unit apartment property in the historic CityMarket Marketplace, as well the 278-room InterContinental hotel and the Fish Market at the Southwest Wharf redevelopment in Washington. When complete, both projects will be integrated mixed-use projects combining retail, hotel, office and residential spaces.
Represented The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company and Marriott interests in the restructuring of Reynolds Plantation, a resort and housing community east of Atlanta. The resort includes a 251-room Ritz-Carlton hotel and spa, six golf courses, tennis club, four marinas, restaurants, as well as 2,000 developed housing lots and more than 5,000 acres of undeveloped property.
- Worked with the consortium of secured creditors to obtain control of the resort and then re-sell it to MetLife, Inc.
- Assisted Ritz-Carlton in its efforts to ensure uninterrupted operations of the hotel by establishing a series of easement and access agreements so that hotel guests would have continuing access to all of the amenities within the resort community.
- Assisted Ritz-Carlton in negotiations to modify and extend the hotel management agreement.
Assisted the United Kingdom-appointed liquidators with the wind-up and sale of an entity that owned 27 apartment properties in New York City. The properties secured the repayment of senior and mezzanine loans in excess of $200 million.
- 36 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Best Lawyers in America, Three Honored As "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight As "Ones to Watch"08.18.2022
- 37 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2022 Best Lawyers®, Six Honored as "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight as "Ones to Watch"08.19.2021
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Jay Yurow speaks to the American Immigration Lawyers Association's EB-5 Investors Summit: Representing EB-5 Investors & Regional Centers2014 and 2015
Tulane University School of Law, J.D.
Cornell University Graduate Program in Urban & Regional Planning
University of California, Santa Cruz, B.A.
- District of Columbia
- Firm News36 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Best Lawyers in America, Three Honored As "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight As "Ones to Watch"
- Firm News17 Hirschler Attorneys and Five Practice Areas Earn Top Ranking by Chambers USA
- Firm News37 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2022 Best Lawyers®, Six Honored as "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight as "Ones to Watch"