"One of Hirschler's first rainmakers, Jay Weinberg, once told me that a successful lawyer makes her friends her clients, and her clients her friends. The most rewarding aspect of my practice is the partnership I form with clients over time. Serving 'in the trenches' together, we form a bond that moves from 'lawyer-client' to lasting friendship."
Carrie O’Malley, chair of Hirschler's Commercial Real Estate Finance and Investment Practice Group, advises clients on innovative investment structures related to commercial real estate. Carrie has more than 27 years of practice experience closing sophisticated, commercial real estate and finance transactions across the United States. Over the past seven years, she has developed a niche practice in the rapidly-evolving commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) industry.
Carrie leads Hirschler’s multidisciplinary commercial PACE (C-PACE) team, which to date, claims national C-PACE experience in 15 of the 29 states with active C-PACE programs, plus the District of Columbia.
Carrie is a recognized national C-PACE expert and is actively involved in the development of the Virginia C-PACE market. She advises C-PACE capital providers and property owners on all transactional elements of a C-PACE deal--from financing structures, to real estate due diligence, to negotiation and compliance matters. With extensive C-PACE knowledge in a variety of jurisdictions, Carrie also is a valued advisor for local governments and program administrators during the lifecycle of C-PACE projects. Carrie's strategic and pragmatic approach to C-PACE deals often results in improvements to and standardization of C-PACE programs and relevant documents.
Notably, Carrie was involved in several C-PACE funding “firsts:” the first C-PACE-funded office construction project in the United States (Milwaukee, Wisconsin); the first new construction C-PACE transaction in the District of Columbia (D.C. United Stadium); and the first rated, C-PACE securitization in the country.
In addition to her established C-PACE practice, Carrie has a long history representing clients on commercial real estate acquisition, development, financing, leasing, and disposition transactions. A significant part of her practice is devoted to representing national real estate investors and lending institutions in the acquisition, financing, servicing, and sale of commercial loan portfolios. This work has involved loan pools of conventional mortgages (performing, non-performing, and REO), as well as commercial, economic development loans across the United States and in Puerto Rico.
AV Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Selected to Inaugural Class of Virginia's “Influential Women in the Law,” Virginia Lawyers Weekly, 2019
Named to “Legal Elite” (Real Estate/Land Use), Virginia Business, 2013-2015 and 2018
Named to “Legal Elite” (Legal Services/Pro Bono), Virginia Business, 2007, 2011-2012 and 2016-2017
Selected as “Influential Woman of Virginia,” Virginia Lawyers Weekly, 2010
Recipient, Women of Distinction Award (Law), Girl Scout Commonwealth Council of Virginia, 2009
Named to “Legal Elite” (Young Lawyer), Virginia Business, 2006
Advised Fredericksburg Nationals Baseball Team (FredNats), Minor League Baseball affiliate of Washington Nationals, on implementing C-PACE financing for the FredNats' $35 million, state-of-the-art, 5,000 seat, multi-use stadium.
Represented EagleBank in $25 million C-PACE financing for the D.C. United Soccer Stadium. Supported all parties in the complex capital structure with extensive C-PACE knowledge, leading to the successful closing of D.C.’s largest and first-ever new construction C-PACE deal.
Served as lead counsel for borrowers in connection with Fannie Mae's Delegated Underwriting and Servicing (DUS) financing program.
Coordinated, negotiated, and closed sale of a complex, New Jersey Superfund Site to Potentially Responsible Party (PRP) Group, and worked with local New Jersey counsel to navigate challenging environmental issues associated with the property sale.
Advised various C-PACE stakeholders (capital providers, property owners, local governments, and program administrators) on transactions in 15 of the 29 states with active C-PACE programs, plus the District of Columbia.
Represented financial institutions and investors in the purchase, sale, and/or financing of dozens of commercial loan portfolios in the United States and Puerto Rico, and closed approximately $700 million in loan pool transactions.
Organized and closed $400 million multi-state Fanne Mae DUS financing, consisting of over 30 multi-family residential properties throughout the United States for national REIT client.
Represented the largest, national wireless telecommunications company in infrastructure deployment transactions, including land use/zoning, leasing, title, and environmental matters throughout Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland, and D.C.
Closed hundreds of commercial real estate transactions with aggregate value in excess of several billion dollars, including transactions ranging from $1 million to several hundred million dollars.
Represented national real estate sponsors of tenant-in-common syndications in the acquisition, disposition, and commercial leasing of real estate throughout the country, including defeasances of securitized loans and mezzanine lending.
- Carrie O'Malley Recognized with the First-Ever ESG Trailblazer Award from CREW Network (Commerical Real Estate Women)09.29.2023
- Abby Johnson Authors “C-PACE: An innovative finance opportunity for Petersburg” Opinion Piece for The Progress-Index07.08.2019
- Carrie O'Malley Attends 35th Annual ABA RPTE National CLE Conference and Participates on the “Greening Your Practice – Developments and Opportunities in Sustainable Real Estate” PanelWashington, D.C., 05.10.2023
- Kristen Burgers and Carrie O’Malley To Present CLE on Local Opinions in Real Estate Transactions, July 1907.19.2022
- Middleburg, VA, 02.23.20- 02.25.20
- Fredericksburg, VA, 02.19.2019
- Austin, Texas, 02.10.2019 - 02.13.2019
- Carrie O'Malley Participates as Panelist for Intro PACE Finance WebCourse for Council of Finance Agencies (CDFA)12.13.2018
- Fredericksburg, VA, 12.11.2018
- Fredericksburg, VA, 12.11.2018
- Richmond, VA, 12.04.2018
- Austin, TX, 10.21.2018
- Carrie O'Malley Moderated "Coffee and Conversation with Local DC Developers" at the Kayo Women's Real Estate SummitWashington, D.C., 04.23.2018
- Denver, CO, 03.06.2018
- Webinar Presented by Carrie O'Malley on Legal Considerations of C-PACE Projects, Mid-Atlantic PACE Alliance (MAPA)02.15.2018
- Carrie O'Malley Participates as Panelist for Intro PACE Finance WebCourse for Council of Finance Agencies (CDFA)12.06.2017
- Opportunity Knocking: Funding Energy-Efficient Improvements Through Real Estate Assessments, Weinberg Land Use Forum06.05.2017
- Virginia CLE Reciprocity Course Webinar Presented by Carrie O'Malley on Contracts, Sales and the Uniform Commercial Code in Virginia03.03.2017
- Fredericksburg, VA, 04.23.2015
- Chapter Co-editor, 2020 EditionContract Law in Virginia, 12.01.2019
- Commercial Property Executive, 02.21.2019
- Carrie O'Malley Authored Contract Law Chapter of Virginia CLE®’s Virginia Law and Practice Handbook, 2016 Edition2016
- Carrie O'Malley Authored Formation of Contracts Chapter and Co-Authored Statute of Frauds, Construction Contracts and Real Estate Contracts Chapters of Virginia CLE®'s Contract Law in Virginia Law Handbook, 2015 Edition2015
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
A longtime resident of the City of Fredericksburg, Carrie has a strong connection to her community. In September 2015, she trained for and performed with other business leaders at “Dancing with the Fredericksburg Stars,” a charity event where she was recognized with the “Most Flair” award. Carrie is actively involved in local and regional causes, lending time and support to Rappahannock Area United Way, CancerLINC, and Woodberry Forest School. Consistent with her “can do” attitude, Carrie completed a rigorous, four-year JD-MBA joint degree program at the University of Richmond in only three years of study. At Hirschler she serves as Co-Chair of the Commercial Real Estate Finance and Investment Practice Group, an active participant (and former Chair) of the Women's Initiatives Network (WIN), and the former Chair of the Commercial Real Estate and Finance Associate Development Program.
With two accomplished teenagers away at boarding school, Carrie and supportive husband Michael find themselves empty nesters earlier than expected. Though a quiet house is bittersweet, Carrie’s law practice, three labrador retrievers and crafting with corks (a byproduct of her other favorite hobby) keep her busy.
In 2016, Carrie and Michael put their summer vacation plans on hold to deliver an unplanned litter of black lab puppies in their mud room. As the birth unfolded, Carrie was also fielding calls and reviewing documents to close a $50 million deal in Puerto Rico! When she retires, Carrie plans to be a “doggy doula,” for anyone who will have her.
A native of Fredericksburg, Carrie grew up enjoying summers on the Potomac River. In her spare time, she and Michael enjoy weekends at her family’s river house, soaking up the natural beauty of Caledon State Park, a neighboring bald eagle sanctuary.
Carrie was recognized among Virginia Lawyers Weekly's “Most Influential Women in the Law” for 2019. This new Virginia Lawyers Media awards program recognizes the achievements of some of Virginia’s most accomplished women lawyers and judges. Carrie was joined by her husband, Michael, Hirschler colleagues Andrew Lohmann, Rod Simmons, Lisa Hedrick, Kelly Bundy and Mike Terry and their spouses at the awards ceremony in Richmond.
University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., 1996*
Richard S. Reynolds Graduate School of Business at the University of Richmond, M.B.A., 1996*
E. Claiborne Robins School of Business at the University of Richmond, B.S.B.A., 1991
*Carrie completed a rigorous, four-year JD-MBA joint degree program at the University of Richmond in only three years of study.
- AchievementCarrie O'Malley Recognized with the First-Ever ESG Trailblazer Award from CREW Network (Commerical Real Estate Women)
- ConferenceCarrie O'Malley Attends 35th Annual ABA RPTE National CLE Conference and Participates on the “Greening Your Practice – Developments and Opportunities in Sustainable Real Estate” Panel
- Media MentionCarrie O’Malley Offers Insight on Clean Energy Project Finance for Law360 Real Estate Authority