"Stephen Leach impresses clients with his 'knowledge and demeanor as well as his writing and oral argument skills.'" Chambers USA
Steve’s four decades of experience, advising and representing creditors, debtors, trustees and committees in bankruptcy cases and workouts, sets him apart from the crowd. He regularly appears before the bankruptcy and other federal and state courts of Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia. Much of his practice involves identifying and implementing non-bankruptcy solutions to financial challenges and distress. Applying his wealth of real-world experience in academia, Steve served for over two decades as an adjunct professor of bankruptcy law at American University’s law school in Washington, D.C., and as a member of the adjunct faculty of The Catholic University of America’s law school.
Steve is a former Chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee and a past chair of the District of Columbia Bar’s Business Bankruptcy Committee. He serves on the panel of mediators of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia, and has acted as a court-appointed and private mediator in numerous bankruptcy cases in the Washington, D.C. area.
Prior to joining Hirschler Fleischer, Steve was a partner with Venable LLP, Zuckerman Spaeder LLP, and Tucker Flyer PC, in addition to having maintained his own firm, Leach Travell, for many years. Steve began his legal career in the public sector, serving in the U.S. Department of Justice as a trial attorney and with the FTC as a trade regulation attorney.
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy & Creditors’ Rights, Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Bet-the-Company Litigation, and Litigation, Virginia, 2010-2022
Named a “Virginia Super Lawyer,” Bankruptcy: Business, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2007, 2009-2022
Named a “Leader in the Field,” Bankruptcy/Restructuring, Virginia, Chambers USA: Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2015, 2017-2022
Named among "Top Attorneys," Bankruptcy/Creditors' Rights, Arlington Magazine, 2021
Named among the "Top Lawyers" for 2020, Northern Virginia Magazine, December 2020, 2021
Selected as one of the “Top 100” lawyers in Washington, D.C. by Superlawyers.com, a Thomson Reuters company, 2018 and 2019
Named to “Legal Elite” (Bankruptcy/Creditors’ Rights), Virginia Business, 2016-2020
Named among the “Top Lawyers” for Bankruptcy, Washingtonian Magazine, December 2017
Named a “Lawyer of the Year, “ Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Best Lawyers, 2017 and 2018
Received Chambers USA’s highest ranking, Bankruptcy/Restructuring, 2016
AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
Named a “Top Lawyer,” Bankruptcy, Washingtonian Magazine, 2011 - 2018
Harry L. Carrico Pro Bono Service Award from Legal Services of Northern Virginia
Certified in Business Bankruptcy by the American Board of Certification of the American Bankruptcy Institute since 1993,
- Antex Biologics, Inc. (Bankruptcy Court - Maryland). Vaccine developer.
- Aptara Litigation Technology Services (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Litigation support services company.
- Barker Restaurant LLC (Bankruptcy Court - District of Columbia).
- Diamond Alexandria, LLC (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Mixed use residential-retail condominium.
- Garfinckels, Inc. (Bankruptcy Court - District of Columbia). Department store chain.
- HomeVisit Productions, Inc. (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Video services company.
- Innovative Technology Application, Inc. (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Government contractor.
- Memphis Bar-B-Q Company (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Restaurant chain.
- Movie Gallery, Inc. (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Special litigation counsel for debtor.
- MSTC, Inc. (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Post-confirmation special counsel to liquidating debtor.
- Persnickety, Inc. (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Chain of furniture and accessories stores.
- Pinebrook, LLC (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Residential subdivision developer.
- Presidential Golf Partners, LLC (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Golf course development.
- Preston Trucking Company (Bankruptcy Court - Maryland). Interstate trucking company.
- Tidewater Marina Partners ((Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Commercial marina.
Creditor and Landlord Representations
- Colossal Group Corp. (Bankruptcy Court - Maryland). Secured creditor.
- Configuration, Inc. (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Commercial landlord.
- Filene’s Basement, Inc. (Bankruptcy Court - Delaware). Commercial landlord.
- Global Systems & Strategies (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Commercial landlord.
- Graystone Landing LLC (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Secured creditor.
- Gunning Motors, Inc. (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Commercial landlord.
- LandAmerica 1031 Exchange Services (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Secured creditor.
- NX Network, Inc. (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Unsecured creditor.
- PK Maintenance LLC (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Unsecured creditor holding nondischargeable claim.
- Returnbuy, Inc. (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Commercial landlord.
Committee and Trustee Representations
- Capitol Resource Funding (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Unsecured creditors committee.
- Greater Southeast Community Hospital Foundation (Bankruptcy Court - District of Columbia). Post-confirmation plan committee.
- Hanes Home Improvement, Inc. (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Special litigation counsel for chapter 7 trustee.
- Koger Management Group (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Served as chapter 11 and chapter 7 trustee for debtor.
- Osama El-Atari (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Special litigation counsel for chapter 7 trustee in 40+ fraudulent conveyance adversary proceedings.
- Storehouse, Inc. (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Special counsel to unsecured creditors committee.
- Vijay K. Taneja (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Special counsel to unsecured creditors committee.
- S. Airways II (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Local counsel for unsecured creditors committee.
- Worldcom, Inc. (Bankruptcy Court - New York). Counsel to ad hoc committee of large Worldcom customers.
Avoidance Action Representations
- BearingPoint, Inc. (Bankruptcy Court - New York). Avoidance action defendant.
- Dornier Aviation (North America ) (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Avoidance action defendant.
- Enron Corp. (Bankruptcy Court - New York). Avoidance action defendant.
- Pathnet Operating (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Avoidance action defendant.
- National Energy & Gas Transmission (Bankruptcy Court - Maryland). Avoidance action defendants and contract counterparties.
- Spartan Masonry Company (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Avoidance action defendant .
- Ward Television Corporation (Bankruptcy Court - District of Columbia). Avoidance action defendants.
- Computer Learning Centers (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Mediator for claim objections.
- D2K Solutions (Bankruptcy Court - Maryland). Petitioner for involuntary bankruptcy.
- Dewey & LeBoeuf LLP (Bankruptcy Court -New York). Senior partner of failed law firm.
- Federal Bakers, Inc. (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Asset purchaser.
- FirstPay, Inc. (Bankruptcy Court - Maryland). Involuntary bankruptcy petitioner.
- Gordon Properties LLC. (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Court appointed examiner.
- Ionosphere Clubs & Eastern Airlines (Bankruptcy Court - New York). Trade union as contract counterparty.
- Qimonda A.G. (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Local counsel for IBM, Samsung, Infineon, Elpida Memory as patent cross-licensees.
- S. Airways I (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Local counsel for U.S. Bank as indenture trustee; contract counterparty; and avoidance action defendant.
- USGen New England (Bankruptcy Court - Maryland). Contract counterparty.
- Washington Health Club, Inc. (Bankruptcy Court - District of Columbia). Equipment lessor.
- Xtreme Spectrum, Inc. (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Contract counterparty.
- Xybernaut Solutions (Bankruptcy Court - Virginia). Freescale Semiconductor and Motorola, Inc. as contract counterparties.
- 37 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2022 Best Lawyers®, Six Honored as "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight as "Ones to Watch"08.19.2021
- Virginia Business Magazine, 11.30.2020
- 26 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2021 Best Lawyers®, 4 Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 3 Listed Among “Ones to Watch”08.20.2020
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Cambridge, MD, 08.06.19 – 08.08.19
- Larry Katz and Steve Leach Chair Panel Discussions At Maryland Bankruptcy Bar Association ConferenceAnnapolis, MD, 05.03.19 - 05.04.19
- Washington, D.C., 04.11.19 - 04.14.19
- Annapolis, MD, 02.04.2016
- Stephen Leach is Program Speaker on Mediation in Bankruptcy, ABI Mid-Atlantic Bankruptcy Workshop2015
- Structured Dismissal: Another Creative Chapter 11 Exit Strategy Approved in the Eastern District of Virginia11.19.2021
- The Small Business Reorganization Act May Be About To Get (Much) Smaller. The Time To Act Could Be Now.03.01.2021
- Impending Changes to the Bankruptcy Code Improve the Ability of Small Businesses to Reorganize and Add Restrictions to Efforts to Recover Preferential Transfers09.10.2019
- Toys “R” Us Bankruptcy Cases Highlight the Use of Third-Party Releases and “Opt-Out” Provisions in Chapter 11 Plans01.29.2019
The Impact of COVID-19
The Impact of COVID-19
It may soon be a rare business enterprise that is able to insulate itself from the negative economic effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. While we hope the economy will rebound once the pandemic begins to abate, until then, the Hirschler Restructuring and Creditors Rights Group stands ready to assist clients in addressing the financial challenges of these economically unsettled times.
Whether you are facing the loss or interruption of business, challenging financing relationships, the need to downsize or restructure, or other creditors’ rights issues, the Hirschler team will work with you toward a successful outcome.
Contact us to understand your options and devise a recovery strategy that protects your business and financial health.
Visit our COVID-19 Resource Center for continuing coverage of the financial impact of the pandemic.
Bankruptcy Couch Counsel
Bankruptcy Couch Counsel
The Hirschler Bankruptcy team is pleased to present Bankruptcy Couch Counsel, a series of brief videos addressing the legal and business issues keeping you up at night.
Have questions about the information we present or a topic you'd like to see covered on a future Bankruptcy Couch Counsel? Contact any member of the team.
Stanford University Law School, J.D.
Yale University, B.A., magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
- California (inactive)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals – D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals – Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court – District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court – District of Columbia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court – Eastern District of Virginia