Businesses and individuals rely on Mihir to provide sound legal and business advice, often when a possible dispute is looming or a lawsuit has already been filed. He advises clients on matters ranging from day-to-day employment and contractual issues to high-stakes litigation. Mihir has successfully represented clients facing prospective or actual litigation across a range of industries, including government contractors, automobile dealers, software developers, retailers, corporate executives, real estate developers, medical practices, and sole proprietors. Over the years, he has tried cases before juries, judges, and arbitrators, litigating disputes involving claims of breach of contract, fraud, fiduciary misconduct, trade secret theft, will contests, negligence, defamation, and business conspiracy, among others.
While he is always looking for ways to resolve disputes on the front end, Mihir has considerable experience litigating cases to verdict. For example, Mihir recently served as trial counsel in a three month jury trial in Fairfax County Circuit Court, securing an $18 million verdict for his client in a contentious shareholder dispute in which the opposition actually sought tens-of-millions of dollars in damages from his client. Mihir's other recent first-chair representation of firm clients includes:
- prevailing in a will contest on behalf of the decedent’s son in which the jury concluded that the alleged last will and testament of the decedent was fraudulent;
- obtaining a multi-million dollar jury verdict on behalf of corporate executive for unpaid commissions and converted LLC member distributions;
- obtaining an approximately $1.6 million jury verdict on behalf of a stockholder for the company’s breach of a stock purchase and shareholder agreement;
- securing an emergency preliminary injunction for the owner of a fitness studio in central Virginia;
- prevailing on all affirmative claims and a counterclaim in a jury trial involving multiple claims of breach of contract and unjust enrichment on behalf of a yachting club;
- obtaining a verdict for the full amount sued-for in a bench trial involving a breach of an oral contract on behalf of a real estate investor; and
- obtaining an emergency mandatory injunction involving the interpretation of Virginia's election statutes on behalf of a registrar/director of elections.
Having practiced in Virginia his entire career, Mihir has successfully handled numerous cases in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, commonly referred to as the “Rocket Docket.”
Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® for Commercial Litigation and Labor and Employment Law, 2022-2024
Selected for inclusion as a “Rising Star,” Business Litigation, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2020-2022
Selected for inclusion as a “Super Lawyer,” Business Litigation, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2018-2019
ABA National Appellate Advocacy Competition, Best Oral Advocate Award, 2013
Represented son of decedent in will contest, securing jury verdict in favor of the son in which the jury concluded that an alleged last will and testament of the decedent was fraudulent and invalid under Virginia law.
Represented shareholder in dispute with former business partners, securing $18 million jury verdict at the conclusion of a three month trial in Fairfax Circuit Court.
Represented corporate executive in dispute with former employer, obtaining jury verdict of approximately $5 million in unpaid commissions and distributions at the conclusion of trial.
Represented stockholder in dispute with company, securing jury verdict of approximately $1.6 million.
Represented publicly traded company in connection with claims by former employees for allegedly unpaid commissions. Claims were successfully settled before former employees initiated arbitration.
Represented government contractor pursuing claims against former executive and competitor for theft of trade secrets. Case was pending in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia and was resolved successfully.
Obtained emergency temporary injunction on behalf of fitness studio owner for the return of high-end fitness equipment that had been converted by the studio owner’s landlord. Case resolved successfully after injunction.
Prevailed on all affirmative claims and a counterclaim in a multi-day jury trial in Virginia circuit court involving multiple claims of breach of contract and unjust enrichment.
Obtained a verdict for the full amount sued-for in a multi-day bench trial in Virginia circuit court involving a breach of an oral contract.
Obtained a precedent-setting emergency injunction involving the interpretation of Virginia’s election laws and successfully defended same before the Supreme Court of Virginia.
Obtained partial summary judgment on behalf of cybersecurity firm in the Eastern District of Virginia.
Successfully defended telecommunications company against motion for preliminary injunction and temporary restraining order in the Eastern District of Virginia.
Tried and prevailed in real property dispute in Virginia state court involving the interpretation of deeds and easements.
Successfully defended technology company accused of alleged violations of the federal human trafficking statute, earning dismissal of client from the case in the Eastern District of Virginia.
Successfully represented a wholesale tobacco distributor in an appeal of the Department of Taxation’s assessment of nearly $1 million in allegedly unpaid sales and use tax, obtaining full exoneration from payment for distributor.
Represented a federal government contractor in connection with whistleblower reprisal claims brought by former employee, earning dismissal of all claims against contractor.
Routinely works with subject matter experts, including forensic accountants, business valuation experts, real estate appraisers, and damages experts.
- Hirschler Grows Best Lawyers in America Recognitions to 46 Attorneys, Two Honored as “Lawyers of the Year” and Nine as “Ones to Watch”08.17.2023
- Contributor to "Athletes and Their Images: Leagues vs. Players vs. Bad Conduct," International Legal Symposium on the World of Music, Film, Television and Sports ABA Forum on Entertainment & Sports Industries03.2017
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
Outside of work, Mihir enjoys spending time with his wife and young daughter. He can also be found cheering on his beloved D.C. sports teams or walking his dog Penny on the streets of Alexandria. Mihir does his best to stay active by playing tennis and riding along the many bike trails in the D.C. area.
Before attending law school, Mihir was a high school physics teacher for two years at Monacan High School outside Richmond. While at Monacan, Mihir coached the boys varsity tennis team and was honored as a role model teacher.
University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Order of the Barristers
Virginia Commonwealth University, B.S., Biomedical Engineering
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia