"Businesses today need efficient and comprehensive representation – I make certain they receive it."
Nate fully engages in each case and shoulders his clients’ needs. Communication, efficiency and careful judgment define his practice. In every case, he investigates competing claims to thoroughly understand their strengths and weaknesses.
Nate’s significant experience in complex construction disputes enables him to effectively guide clients to see the best business decisions and results in litigation. His collaboration with numerous clients in the local construction industry adds value to every case. Nate values and works hard to earn the trust and confidence of his clients.
In more than 10 years of practice he has:
- Obtained successful outcomes for contractors in complex litigation involving owners and subcontractors, assertively negotiated construction agreements to provide protection and limit future disputes.
- Represented subcontractors of every trade in local and national construction disputes, educated their project managers in contractual claims processes, change orders, lien and bond claims, and mediation and arbitration.
- Achieved a high level of experience and efficiency with negotiated private and public contracts, AIA contracts, and Consensus Docs contracts.
- Protected clients in projects involving bankrupt parties and successfully obtained results for judgment creditors through traditional and innovative debt collection procedures.
- Successfully leveraged significant construction litigation experience to provide effective general corporate litigation and counsel.
Selected for inclusion as a “Rising Star,” Construction Litigation, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2012-2019
Named to “Legal Elite," (Young Lawyer (Under 40)), Virginia Business, 2013-2018
- Pursued and defended breach of contract and bond claims and lawsuits for several dozen subcontractors, general contractors, and owners in state and federal court litigation during the past five years.
- Represented a distributor of heavy machinery in a dispute with an international supplier.
- Represented a lender in multi-million dollar litigation with borrowers and secured parties in out-of-state litigation.
- Represented the owner of an apartment building in contract litigation and arbitration with competing claims of construction and design defects, utilizing multiple experts.
- Defended a global provider of plumbing equipment in a damage claim arising from a flood in a mechanical equipment room of a commercial building.
- Representation of a plaintiff in a fraud and breach of contract claim related to the purchase of multi-family buildings.
- Pursued numerous lawsuits with localities and state agencies for recovery on public contracts.
- Regular representation of an owner of retail, office, institutional, warehouse and general commercial projects in the negotiation of construction and design contracts nationwide.
- Assisted contractor clients in negotiation with the Board of Contractors, Virginia Employment Commission and Department of Labor.
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Richmond, VA, 06.14.2019
- Richmond, VA, 06.04.2019
- Common Interest Privilege, Virginia CLE, Construction and Public Contracts Section10.2017
- Nate Story and Andrew Sherrod Co-author "It Pays to Maintain Compliant Human Resource Practices on the Jobsite"CMFA Building Profits, 11.2015
- Nate Story Authors “Six Payment Challenges Up and Down the Contracting Chain,” Construction Executive05.04.2015
- Construction Law Blog, 11.08.2019
- New Virginia Supreme Court Case Refocuses Attention on Commonwealth's Immunity from Statutes of LimitationConstruction Law Blog, 11.04.2019
- Construction Law Blog, 08.26.2019
- Construction Law Blog, 08.06.2019
- Construction Law Blog, 06.24.2019
- Construction Law Blog, 04.22.2019
- Courtney Paulk and Kelly Bundy Discuss “Unpreventable Employee Misconduct” Defense in Article for Construction ExecutiveConstruction Law Blog, 04.16.2019
- Construction Law Blog, 04.08.2019
- Construction Law Blog, 02.21.2019
- Construction Law Blog, 02.14.2019
- Construction Law Blog, 01.23.2019
- Courtney Paulk to Participate in University of Richmond - Robins School of Business's C-Suite ConversationsConstruction Law Blog, 01.18.2019
- Construction Law Blog, 01.09.2019
- Construction Law Blog, 12.27.2018
- Construction Law Blog, 12.21.2018
- Construction Law Blog, 10.23.2018
- Construction Law Blog, 09.19.2018
- Construction Law Blog, 06.13.2018
- Construction Law Blog, 05.29.2018
- Construction Law Blog, 05.09.2018
- Construction Law Blog, 04.19.2018
- Construction Law Blog, 03.19.2018
- Construction Law Blog, 03.01.2018
- Construction Law Blog, 02.13.2018
- Construction Law Blog, 11.21.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 10.16.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 09.12.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 07.18.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 06.27.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 05.23.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 05.01.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 04.10.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 03.22.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 03.09.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 02.20.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 02.08.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 01.23.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 01.17.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 01.04.2017
- Construction Law Blog, 12.06.2016
- Construction Law Blog, 11.30.2016
- Construction Law Blog, 11.11.2016
- Construction Law Blog, 11.03.2016
- Construction Law Blog, 10.28.2016
- Construction Law Blog, 10.23.2016
- Construction Law Blog, 10.20.2016
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
When he’s not in the courtroom or construction site, Nate can be found on the James River catching striped bass and sunshine on his homemade barge. He lives with his wife and daughter in Westover Hills, values hospitality and involves himself in his community. Nate serves on the board of the Robinson Theater Community Arts Center and committees of the Richmond Christian Leadership Institute.
Before his career in law, Nate was a public high school English teacher and baseball and wrestling coach. After college, he joined three friends in an around-the-world trip where they worked in various capacities for a month at a time with local nonprofits in South America, Asia, India, North Africa, and Europe.
Construction Law Blog
Construction Law Blog
Nate and his fellow construction-focused colleagues author Hirschler's Construction Law Blog - a resource for design professionals, contractors, and lower-tier contractors and suppliers. Blog readers can expect concise, easy-to-follow posts on pertinent and timely issues covering the construction process from concept to close-out. Never miss a post by subscribing here to receive updates.
Regent University School of Law, J.D.
The College of William & Mary, B.A., English
- Virginia State Bar
- U.S. District and Bankruptcy Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Fourth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Conversational Spanish
- Koine Greek
- Firm News38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law Category
- Construction Law BlogDepartment of General Services Conducts “Town Hall” on Statute of Limitations Bill
- Construction Law BlogNew Virginia Supreme Court Case Refocuses Attention on Commonwealth's Immunity from Statutes of Limitation