Thom Dillon advises high-net worth individuals on their legal and business interests. In addition to leading the firm handling complex litigation matters, Thom chairs the firm’s Sports and Entertainment Practice Group, working with professional athletes, their agents and advisors in connection with endorsement and licensing opportunities, disputes, dispute resolution, protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights (including rights of privacy and publicity), contract negotiation and employment matters. Thom also works with various client-sponsored charities such as the Bautista Family Education Fund and the Hermie and Elliott Sadler Charitable Foundation.
As a veteran commercial litigation attorney, Thom assists clients with all forms of dispute resolution and counsels clients on dispute avoidance. Whether through traditional litigation, alternative dispute resolution or negotiation, he advocates for his clients with a creative, practical and aggressive approach. Thom regularly appears before private mediators, arbitrators, governmental agencies, state and federal trial courts, and appeal tribunals.
Because of his strong entrepreneurial spirit, sound judgment and practical approach to resolving legal issues, Thom is regularly called upon by clients for counseling on a wide variety of commercial business issues from business formation through dissolution. From preparing contracts to enforcing contracts in court, he provides clients with effective and efficient results.
Thom has held many leadership positions at Hirschler. He is a former member of the firm’s board of directors and a past leader of the complex litigation team. He currently serves as co-chair of the employment law and intellectual property teams and as chair of the firm’s sports and entertainment team.
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, Franchise Law, and Litigation – Labor & Employment, 2012, 2014-2021
Named to “Legal Elite” (Civil Litigation, Labor/Employment), Virginia Business, 2006-2011, 2013-2014, 2016-2018, 2020
Named an “Elite Leader” (Civil Litigation), Virginia Business, 2017
Selected for inclusion as a “Super Lawyer,” Business Litigation, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2013 and 2014
Martindale-Hubbell: AV Peer Review Rated
- Successfully represented a sports equipment manufacturing company in an exclusivity licensing dispute.
- Successfully defended a well-known musical instrument manufacturer against trademark and patent claims brought in the United States District Court, Southern District of California.
- Successfully defended a convenience store chain, owned in part by a professional athlete, against third-party patent infringement claims
- Obtained preliminary injunctive relief in a highly contested trade secret case on behalf of an software company against a former computer programmer to protect the confidentiality of trade secrets valued at $10 million.
- Negotiated the purchase of franchises from national restaurant franchisors for professional athletes.
- Successfully defended an international toy manufacturer against claims of employment discrimination and wrongful retaliation in federal court.
- Developed and registered numerous trademark portfolios for professional athletes.
- Successfully defended a contested trademark before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Successfully enforced a non-competition agreement on behalf of an employer.
- Successfully resolved multi-state partnership litigation serving as lead counsel.
- Virginia Business Magazine, 11.30.2020
- 26 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2021 Best Lawyers®, 4 Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 3 Listed Among “Ones to Watch”08.20.2020
- Contributor to "Athletes and Their Images: Leagues vs. Players vs. Bad Conduct," International Legal Symposium on the World of Music, Film, Television and Sports ABA Forum on Entertainment & Sports Industries03.2017
University of Richmond School of Law, J.D.
University of Richmond, B.A.
Benedictine College Preparatory, Diploma
- New York