At Hirschler, we know that building and maintaining the right workplace culture is a key component in achieving business success. Of course, a pillar of any strong business environment is compliance with local, state and federal employment laws. This is often easier said than done, as legislators continually pass new laws affecting the workplace, and courts often interpret those laws in different ways. Businesses with employees in multiple jurisdictions face an even more daunting task of keeping up with innumerable, often contrasting, obligations. Missteps can be costly, as violations of employment laws expose companies to significant damage awards, and even meritless claims can result in cost and business disruption. Such exposure and expense is multiplied when mistakes affect multiple employees, resulting in class or collective action suits. Former employees who take trade secrets and other proprietary information, or who improperly attempt to take away customers or employees, can also cause real harm to a company’s bottom line, as well as its reputation.
Hirschler’s employment law team helps businesses and their executives across the country and in a variety of industries—including financial services, technology, health care, manufacturing, construction, real estate, staffing, and insurance—to address workplace issues in a practical manner that promotes both legal compliance and company culture. Our lawyers get to know their clients’ businesses so that they can apply their years of experience and deep knowledge of employment laws to assist in complying with legal requirements, avoiding claims, and defending claims when they occur. We also work with companies to craft and enforce agreements tailored to their business needs in order to protect intellectual property, customers, and employees against unfair competition. Our clients expect and receive prompt and personal attention from our experienced employment lawyers, who are equipped to address their concerns in a cost-effective manner that begins with the endgame in mind.
A sample of our wide-ranging experience in employment law matters includes the following:
- Providing day-to-day employment counseling and claims resolution assistance to national mortgage company with bi-coastal workforce.
- Coordinating investigation and response to highly sensitive allegations against employee of regional business.
- Providing sexual harassment prevention training to architecture firm.
- Representing non-profit organization in defense of multiple EEOC charges by current and former employees.
- Conducting wage and hour audit regarding worker classifications for cable company.
- Drafting executive employment agreements and associated restrictive covenants for insurance brokerage firm operating in multiple states.
- Drafting and negotiating executive employment agreements and key employee employment and restrictive covenant agreements for portfolio companies of private equity funds.
- Advising financial services firm on Broker Protocol and restrictive covenant issues in response to departure of investment advisors.
- Providing advice and counsel to the CEO and preparing termination and severance agreements for employees not retained in a corporate merger.
- Advising departing CEO in separation negotiations with marketing industry company.
- Defending national outsourcing company in FLSA collective action brought in federal court, helping client investigate allegations, identifying inconsistencies in plaintiffs’ claims, and obtaining favorable settlement.
- Achieving dismissal of FLSA claims brought in federal court by home healthcare employee.
- Defending international toy manufacturer against claims of employment discrimination and retaliation in federal court.
- Obtaining summary judgment on age discrimination claims brought against regional moving company.
- Defending government contractor in a whistle-blower case brought in federal court under the False Claims Act.
- Representing printing company in multi-day arbitration brought by former employees for unpaid compensation under an earn-out provision of asset purchase agreement.
- Achieving dismissal of wrongful discharge claim brought against fixture company by former employee in state court.
- Obtaining summary judgment in favor of accounting firm on ERISA claim for retirement benefits brought by former employee and shareholder in federal court.
- Defending cable installation company against claims of trade secret misappropriation and violation of restrictive covenants, including motion for temporary restraining order.
- Obtaining preliminary injunctive relief in a trade secret case on behalf of a software company against a former computer programmer to protect the confidentiality of trade secrets valued at $10 million.
- Representing manufacturing company regarding claims against former employee and competitor for breach of fiduciary duty, misappropriation of trade secrets, and conspiracy.
- Defending financial services professional against claims filed in federal court by former colleagues and their new firm for, among other things, trade secret misappropriation, violation of Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Representing physician in connection with claims by former practice of violation of restrictive covenants in employment agreement.
- Defending insurance executive in federal case involving allegations of breach of restrictive covenants contained in employment agreement.
- Representing co-founder and Chief Scientific Officer of biotech company in employment separation dispute.
- Andy Sherrod To Present To VASHRM On Employment and Clinical Issues Presented By The Rise Of Medical MarijuanaGlen Allen, Virginia, 04.12.2019
- Andy Sherrod Quoted in Society for Human Resource Management About Hiring and Non-compete Agreements08.18.2016
- DOL’s Interpretation on Worker Classification May Impact Employer Payroll and Tax Reporting Obligations07.22.2015
- Connecting with Companies: A Guide to Biomedical Consulting Agreements (2nd edition, 2014), Co-author01.01.2014
- PresentationAndy Sherrod To Present To VASHRM On Employment and Clinical Issues Presented By The Rise Of Medical Marijuana
- Achievement41 Hirschler Attorneys Named Among Virginia's Legal Elite
- PresentationDrugs and Alcohol in the Workplace, National Business Institute Employment Law Bootcamp