At Hirschler, we know that building and maintaining the right workplace culture is a key component in achieving business success. Of course, a pillar of any strong business environment is compliance with local, state and federal employment laws. This is often easier said than done, as legislators continually pass new laws affecting the workplace, and courts often interpret those laws in different ways. Businesses with employees in multiple jurisdictions face an even more daunting task of keeping up with innumerable, often contrasting, obligations. Missteps can be costly, as violations of employment laws expose companies to significant damage awards, and even meritless claims can result in cost and business disruption. Such exposure and expense is multiplied when mistakes affect multiple employees, resulting in class or collective action suits. Former employees who take trade secrets and other proprietary information, or who improperly attempt to take away customers or employees, can also cause real harm to a company’s bottom line, as well as its reputation.
Hirschler’s employment law practice group helps businesses and their executives across the country and in a variety of industries—including financial services, technology, health care, manufacturing, construction, real estate, staffing, and insurance—to address workplace issues in a practical manner that promotes both legal compliance and company culture. Our lawyers get to know their clients’ businesses so that they can apply their years of experience and deep knowledge of employment laws to assist in complying with legal requirements, avoiding claims, and defending claims when they occur. We also work with companies to craft and enforce agreements tailored to their business needs in order to protect intellectual property, customers, and employees against unfair competition. Our clients expect and receive prompt and personal attention from our experienced employment lawyers, who are equipped to address their concerns in a cost-effective manner that begins with the endgame in mind.
Check out our Employment Couch Counsel video series!
A sample of our wide-ranging experience in employment law matters includes the following:
- Providing day-to-day employment counseling and claims resolution assistance to national mortgage company with bi-coastal workforce.
- Coordinating investigation and response to highly sensitive allegations against employee of regional business.
- Providing sexual harassment prevention training to architecture firm.
- Representing non-profit organization in defense of multiple EEOC charges by current and former employees.
- Conducting wage and hour audit regarding worker classifications for cable company.
- Drafting executive employment agreements and associated restrictive covenants for insurance brokerage firm operating in multiple states.
- Drafting and negotiating executive employment agreements and key employee employment and restrictive covenant agreements for portfolio companies of private equity funds.
- Advising financial services firm on Broker Protocol and restrictive covenant issues in response to departure of investment advisors.
- Providing advice and counsel to the CEO and preparing termination and severance agreements for employees not retained in a corporate merger.
- Advising departing CEO in separation negotiations with marketing industry company.
- Defending national outsourcing company in FLSA collective action brought in federal court, helping client investigate allegations, identifying inconsistencies in plaintiffs’ claims, and obtaining favorable settlement.
- Achieving dismissal of FLSA claims brought in federal court by home healthcare employee.
- Defending international toy manufacturer against claims of employment discrimination and retaliation in federal court.
- Obtaining summary judgment on age discrimination claims brought against regional moving company.
- Defending government contractor in a whistle-blower case brought in federal court under the False Claims Act.
- Representing printing company in multi-day arbitration brought by former employees for unpaid compensation under an earn-out provision of asset purchase agreement.
- Achieving dismissal of wrongful discharge claim brought against fixture company by former employee in state court.
- Obtaining summary judgment in favor of accounting firm on ERISA claim for retirement benefits brought by former employee and shareholder in federal court.
- Defending cable installation company against claims of trade secret misappropriation and violation of restrictive covenants, including motion for temporary restraining order.
- Obtaining preliminary injunctive relief in a trade secret case on behalf of a software company against a former computer programmer to protect the confidentiality of trade secrets valued at $10 million.
- Representing manufacturing company regarding claims against former employee and competitor for breach of fiduciary duty, misappropriation of trade secrets, and conspiracy.
- Defending financial services professional against claims filed in federal court by former colleagues and their new firm for, among other things, trade secret misappropriation, violation of Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Representing physician in connection with claims by former practice of violation of restrictive covenants in employment agreement.
- Defending insurance executive in federal case involving allegations of breach of restrictive covenants contained in employment agreement.
- Representing co-founder and Chief Scientific Officer of biotech company in employment separation dispute.
- 37 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2022 Best Lawyers®, Six Honored as "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight as "Ones to Watch"08.19.2021
- Virginia Business Magazine, 11.30.2020
- 26 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2021 Best Lawyers®, 4 Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 3 Listed Among “Ones to Watch”08.20.2020
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Jacqueline Hedblom Discusses Challenges for Employers When Defending Against Alleged FLSA Violations, Healthcare Risk Management Magazine06.07.2019
- Hirschler Employment Law Team Partners with OneDigital in a Webinar Series Addressing FFCRA, Leave Laws, and Reasonable Accommodations10.27.2020
- Kelly Bundy Teaches Two-Day Risk Management Seminar to Associated General Contractors of Virginia, Richmond DistrictSeptember 19-20, 2019
- Andy Sherrod To Present To VASHRM On Employment and Clinical Issues Presented By The Rise Of Medical MarijuanaGlen Allen, Virginia, 04.12.2019
- Risk Management, 02.07.2021
- New Year, New COVID-19 HR Issues: What Employers Should Know About The Expiration Of FFCRA Leave And The EEOC’s New Vaccine Guidance01.06.2021
- Age Discrimination Concerns When Instituting Layoffs: Special Considerations For Drafting a Valid Release04.20.2020
- New DOL Regulations on Paid Leave under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Top Five Takeaways for Employers04.06.2020
- Off to the Races: SBA Paycheck Protection Program Application Period Opens Today: Key Updates and Guidance04.03.2020
- Andy Sherrod Shares Best Practices for Employers in the Age of the Coronavirus, Washington Business Journal04.03.2020
- Many Companies Will Need to Reduce Employee Payroll Costs Due to COVID-19—What’s the Difference Between a Furlough and Layoff?03.24.2020
- New Law Requires Virginia Employers To Provide Certain Personnel Information to Requesting Employees07.01.2019
- Andy Sherrod Quoted in Society for Human Resource Management About Hiring and Non-compete Agreements08.18.2016
- DOL’s Interpretation on Worker Classification May Impact Employer Payroll and Tax Reporting Obligations07.22.2015
- Connecting with Companies: A Guide to Biomedical Consulting Agreements (2nd edition, 2014), Co-author01.01.2014
- Construction Law Blog, 03.25.2020
Welcome to Couch Counsel, a Hirschler video series focused on the legal and business issues keeping employers up at night. Our hope is that these short segments will get you up to speed on important developments impacting your business.
Employment law partners Andy Sherrod and Jaime Wisegarver kick off the series with a five-part discussion of new employment-related legislation signed into law by Virginia Governor Ralph Northam.
Have questions about the information we present or a topic you'd like to see covered on a future Couch Counsel? Contact Jaime or Andy. We'd love to hear from you.
- ConferenceAndy Sherrod Participates as Panelist for VBA Employment Law Conference
- AlertDeadlines for Employment Reports for Government Contractors and Subcontractors Are Fast Approaching
- Firm News37 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2022 Best Lawyers®, Six Honored as "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight as "Ones to Watch"