Matt advises clients on a wide range of employment issues including leave, discrimination prevention, and wage and hour regulations. His practice encompasses the full spectrum of services from counseling to litigation. He has performed extensive legal research on Title VII, FMLA, Title IX and various regulations stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Prior to joining Hirschler, Matt was in private practice in Norfolk, Virginia.
Drafting and negotiating executive employment agreements and associated restrictive covenants for clients in various industries.
Drafting position statements and handling investigative matters with administrative agencies such as the EEOC and OSHA.
Drafting and negotiating employee separation agreements for clients.
Creating and editing employee handbooks for clients in various industries.
Advising clients related to day-to-day employment matters including wage and hour compliance, employee leave, equal employment opportunity law, and terminations.
Represented employer in an FLSA collective action regarding alleged misclassification of employees.
Obtained dismissal of a wrongful termination lawsuit prior to trial.
- Liz Burneson and Matt Sarfan Outline Key Considerations for Vaccine Mandates for VBA Young Lawyers Division Newsletter05.04.2022
- Pre-Dispute Arbitration Agreements and Joint Action Waivers Will Soon Be Unenforceable by Employers for Claims of Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment02.14.2022
- Georgia Court Issues a Nationwide Injunction of the Federal Contractor Vaccine Mandate: What It Means for Your Company12.09.2021
- What Employers Need To Know About the OSHA Emergency Temporary Standard on COVID-19 Vaccination and Testing11.05.2021
- What Employers Need To Know About the OSHA Emergency Temporary Standard on COVID-19 Vaccination and TestingConstruction Law Blog, 11.05.2021
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
Growing up in Hampton, Virginia, Matt spent the majority of his free time on the Chesapeake Bay. Since then, he’s spent most of his time looking for fish throughout Virginia, whether it be back home in the Chesapeake, in the James River in Richmond, or in the streams of Harrisonburg.
William & Mary School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- William & Mary Journal of Race, Gender, and Social Justice
- Admissions Ambassador
James Madison University, B.A., summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- ArticleLiz Burneson and Matt Sarfan Outline Key Considerations for Vaccine Mandates for VBA Young Lawyers Division Newsletter
- AlertUpdating Your Employee Handbook? Pay Attention to These Key Considerations
- AlertPre-Dispute Arbitration Agreements and Joint Action Waivers Will Soon Be Unenforceable by Employers for Claims of Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment