"Andrew Lohmann 'works and interacts in a way that builds trust quickly.'" Chambers USA
Andrew is the executive vice president of Hirschler, the leader of the firm's business law section and co-chair of the M&A practice group. His practice focuses principally on mergers and acquisitions, private equity, general corporate and commercial law, employment law, capital transactions, and Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOPs).
Known for translating “legalese” into more easily understood issues and solutions, Andrew is a trusted legal and business advisor to middle market businesses and their owners. He helps clients across the United States with (1) significant transactions that are often critical to the client’s growth or sale (namely, joint ventures, acquisitions, sales and equity offerings); and (2) day-to-day legal matters and strategic initiatives that are important to the smooth operation of their businesses (for example, executive compensation, employee hiring and terminations, corporate governance, shareholder/partnership agreements and various types of commercial contracts).
Andrew regularly advises private equity firms, operating companies, founders, and other parties with respect to mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations and sales of their businesses. Andrew was one of six national finalists for The M&A Advisor’s 2016 “Legal Advisor of the Year” Award. He is a four-time national finalist for this award. Staying abreast of market trends and developments, Andrew provides clients with market perspective while also tailoring his advice and guidance to the client and matter at hand.
Clients across a spectrum of industries have sought Andrew’s counsel and advice. These industries include manufacturing, technology, financial services, construction, distribution, and insurance brokerage.
Selected for inclusion as a “Super Lawyer,” Business/Corporate, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2014- 2015 and 2018-2021
Named a “Leader in the Field,” Corporate/M&A, Southern Virginia, Chambers USA: Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2017-2021
Named among the “Legal Elite,” (Business Law), Virginia Business, 2009-2011, 2013-2014, 2017-2020
National Finalist, “Legal Advisor of the Year,” M&A Advisor Awards, 2013-2016
Selected for inclusion as a “Rising Star,” Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2010-2013
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Advised a private equity fund and its portfolio company in the sale of all of the outstanding equity in an international manufacturing business to a private fund buyer.
- Represented the founders and other shareholders in the sale of a software development company to a Fortune 50 publicly-traded buyer.
- Served as counsel to an industrial water treatment chemical company in a $435,000,000 stock sale to a public company buyer. The company was majority-owned by an employee stock ownership plan (ESOP), and the sale was structured as a part sale / part redemption of minority shareholders.
- Represented a private equity firm in its sale of a family of operating companies to a UK public company.
- Advised a family-owned technology business in the sale of the business to a large strategic buyer.
- Served as transaction counsel to an energy infrastructure holding company and its operating subsidiaries in connection with the sale of the subsidiaries to a major private equity acquirer. The sale by the ESOP-owned holding company benefitted over 1,000 ESOP participants.
- Represented a private equity firm with respect to its mezzanine financing in connection with a leveraged buy-out.
- Represented a private equity firm in its acquisition and subsequent divestiture (to a publicly-traded strategic buyer) of a line of manufacturing companies.
- Represented the shareholders of a privately-held power distribution equipment manufacturer in the sale of all of the outstanding stock in the company to a private equity firm.
- Represented the shareholders of a privately-held technology company in the sale of all of the outstanding stock in the company to a publicly-traded government contractor consulting firm.
- Represented a private equity firm in its acquisition of a family of manufacturing companies in the plastic extrusion industry.
- Represented closely-held government contractor involved in development of global position system technology in sale of substantially all of its assets to publicly-traded buyer. Transaction involved novation of various government contracts.
- Serve as outside general counsel for clients across the United States, providing advice with respect to matters including corporate governance, executive compensation, partnership/shareholder agreements, and a spectrum of commercial contracts.
- Routinely counsel businesses regarding a variety of employment law issues, including preparation of employment agreements, employee handbooks, and employment separation agreements
- Counsel ESOP companies with respect to general corporate and ESOP administration matters.
- Virginia Business Magazine, 11.30.2020
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Hirschler Fleischer Recognized as M&A Advisor’s Law Firm of the Year, Partner Named Finalist for Legal Advisor of the Year11.20.2014
- Hirschler Fleischer and Andrew Lohmann Named Finalists for M&A Advisor Awards - Second Year in a Row10.16.2013
- Richmond, VA, 11.09.2018
- Richmond, VA, 10.03.2018
- Deal-Killing Issues and How to Overcome Them, Alliance of Merger and Acquisition Advisors Winter Conference02.2017
- National Accounting Firm Executive Briefing Series on M&A Transactions11.2016
- Minimizing Drama in an M&A Transaction: Tips for Planning, Prioritizing and Structuring, NACVA Conference10.2016
- Minimizing Drama in an M&A Transaction: Tips for Planning, Prioritizing and Structuring, Association for Corporate Growth (Richmond Chapter)10.2015
- Where Are the Sellers?, Alliance of Merger and Acquisition Advisors Summer Conference07.2014
- Virginia Business, 01.25.2021
- The UK’s National Security and Investment Bill: A New Source of Political Risk for Foreign Direct Investment11.16.2020
- Age Discrimination Concerns When Instituting Layoffs: Special Considerations For Drafting a Valid Release04.20.2020
- Off to the Races: SBA Paycheck Protection Program Application Period Opens Today: Key Updates and Guidance04.03.2020
- Loan Forgiveness Under the Stimulus Act: Is Now The Time To Apply for Your First SBA Loan? (And Other Loan Benefits of the CARES Act)03.27.2020
- Andrew Lohmann and Andrea Mousouris Unpack Common “Deal Killers” to Avoid when Closing on an M&A Deal07.16.2019
- Latest ABA M&A Deal Points Study Highlights New Data Points, Impact of Reps and Warranties Insurance01.05.2018
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
When not mediating disputes over UNC and UVA sports in his household (he lives in a house divided!), Andrew loves spending as much time outdoors as possible with his family – from solidifying his mediocre golf handicap, to doing his best Bode Miller impersonation on ski slopes out west (Steamboat being his personal favorite) and in the mountains of Virginia and West Virginia, to enjoying the peaceful Rappahannock River in eastern Virginia. He’s proud to say he’s “successfully” completed one marathon, but equally proud to say that there won’t be a second one.
A lifelong, avid Los Angeles Dodgers fan, he still gets goosebumps when he sees replays of Kirk Gibson’s epically dramatic homerun to win game 1 of the 1988 World Series and is in denial that there’s ever been a better moment in sports.
The University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., with Distinction, Phi Beta Kappa