"When the seas of business get rough or the winds difficult to read, I offer a calm and steady hand to help my clients stay on course and reach their destination."
Andy devotes his practice to helping clients navigate complex employment and business issues. Companies and their executives rely upon his practical advice and sound judgment based on his deep knowledge of employment laws and years of experience resolving disputes both in and out of the courtroom. He begins with his clients’ ultimate goal in mind and crafts effective and efficient strategies to help them get there.
Andy serves as a trusted advisor to businesses owners, executives, and in-house counsel on a wide range of employment law matters, such as drafting executive employment agreements, protecting trade secrets and confidential business information, maintaining compliance with federal and state employment laws, creating effective employment policies, implementing appropriate hiring and firing procedures, conducting wage and hour audits, addressing employment issues in the due diligence process for mergers and acquisitions, advising on OSHA recordkeeping and reporting requirements, and assisting with complaint investigations and EEOC charges. He also trains employees and managers on HR compliance and best practices.
When disputes must be resolved in court, Andy draws upon his first-chair experience in jury trials, bench trials, arbitrations, and appeals to advocate for his clients. He has handled cases in state and federal courts across the country, including many in the “Rocket Docket” of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
Andy has helped businesses resolve a variety of employment cases, including disputes involving discrimination and harassment under federal and state employment laws, wrongful discharge, wage and hour issues, employment agreements, and employee benefits under ERISA. A particular areas of emphasis in his employment litigation practice is representing companies and executives in disputes regarding restrictive covenants, including non-competition agreements, non-solicitation agreements, and confidentiality agreements. In his business litigation practice, Andy represents companies and individuals in disputes involving contracts, fraud, business interference, securities, and corporate governance matters (e.g., fiduciary duty claims and business dissolution).
Prior to joining Hirschler, Andy practiced with a large international law firm and served as law clerk to the Honorable Norman K. Moon of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia.
Selected for inclusion as a “Super Lawyer,” Employment & Labor, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2014-2020
Selected for inclusion as a “Rising Star,” Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2007, 2011-2013
Named to “Legal Elite,” (Labor/Employment), Virginia Business, 2009-2019
Providing day-to-day employment counseling and claims resolution assistance to national mortgage company.
Drafting executive employment agreements and associated restrictive covenants for insurance brokerage firm expanding to multiple states.
Coordinating investigation and response to highly sensitive allegations against employee of regional business.
Advising financial services firm on Broker Protocol and restrictive covenant issues in response to departure of investment advisors.
Representing co-founder and Chief Scientific Officer of biotech company in employment separation dispute.
Acting as lead counsel in defense of a government contractor against discrimination and retaliation claims brought in federal court under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Serving as lead trial counsel for printing company in arbitration brought by former employees for unpaid compensation under an earn-out provision of asset purchase agreement.
Achieving dismissal of wrongful discharge claim brought against fixture company by former employee.
Obtaining summary judgment in favor of accounting firm on ERISA claim for retirement benefits brought by former employee and shareholder.
Defending cable installation company against claims of trade secret misappropriation and violation fo restrictive covenants, including motion for temporary restraining order.
Serving as lead counsel for staffing agency in five-day jury trial involving a contract dispute with large financial institution.
Represented co-trustee in 13-day trial of complex partnership dissolution and accounting claims.
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Andy Sherrod To Present To VASHRM On Employment and Clinical Issues Presented By The Rise Of Medical MarijuanaGlen Allen, Virginia, 04.12.2019
- Drugs and Alcohol in the Workplace, National Business Institute Employment Law Boot CampRichmond, VA, 10.10.2018
- Richmond, VA, 09.24.2018
- Tips and Pitfalls to Avoid When Negotiating and Drafting the Executive Employment Agreement, Virginia Bar Association 46th Annual Conference on Labor Relations and Employment Law09.30.2016
- How to Make a Good Impression and Avoid Pitfalls when Serving as an Expert Witness, National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts (Virginia Chapter)08.16.2016
- Employment Law Topics That Your Corporate Clients Wish You Could Discuss Intelligently, Richmond Bar Association05.18.2016
- Human Resource Law from Start to Finish, National Business Institute10.07.2015
- Employment Law: Virginia Comprehensive Guide, National Business Institute10.08.2014
- Human Resources Issues, Local Government Law: What Attorneys Need to Know, National Business Institute08.01.2014
- Andrew Sherrod Moderates a Federal Courts CLE for the Richmond Bar Association04.29.2014
- Lifespan of an Expert Engagement: Making a Good Impression and Avoiding Traps for the Unwary, National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts (Virginia Chapter)11.21.2013
- Human Resource Law: What You Need to Know, National Business Institute10.30.2013
- Business Dissolution: Best Practices and Pitfalls from Corporate, Litigation and Valuation Perspectives, Richmond Bar Association10.11.2012
- Age Discrimination Concerns When Instituting Layoffs: Special Considerations For Drafting a Valid Release04.20.2020
- New DOL Regulations on Paid Leave under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Top Five Takeaways for Employers04.06.2020
- Andy Sherrod Shares Best Practices for Employers in the Age of the Coronavirus, Washington Business Journal04.03.2020
- Many Companies Will Need to Reduce Employee Payroll Costs Due to COVID-19—What’s the Difference Between a Furlough and Layoff?03.24.2020
- Supreme Court of Virginia Sends a Message to Localities About the Presumption of Correctness Applicable to Real Estate Assessments08.13.2019
- New Law Requires Virginia Employers To Provide Certain Personnel Information to Requesting Employees07.01.2019
- Andy Sherrod Quoted in Society of Human Resource Management on Waiting Periods for Vacation Accruals05.11.2017
- Andy Sherrod Quoted in Society for Human Resource Management About Hiring and Non-compete Agreements08.18.2016
- 5 Key Considerations When Negotiating an Executive Employment Agreement, Corporate Compliance Insights03.09.2016
- Nate Story and Andrew Sherrod Co-author "It Pays to Maintain Compliant Human Resource Practices on the Jobsite"CMFA Building Profits, 11.2015
- Weinberg Land Use Forum News Alert: Important Year-End Deadline for Property Owners in the City of Richmond12.16.2014
- Don't Hit that Delete Button: An Update on Litigation Holds for Employment Claims, InsideCounsel2014
- Tips for Effective and Enforceable Severance Agreements, InsideCounsel2014
- Whose Employees Are They? Determining Whether You're Subject to 'Joint Employer' Liability, InsideCounsel2014
- Civil Practice and Procedure, University of Richmond Law Review, Co-authored by Andrew Sherrod2014
- Construction Law Blog, 03.25.2020
- Construction Law Blog, 03.23.2020
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
Andy braved the frigid temperatures and choppy waters (not to mention the sharks) of the San Francisco Bay by swimming the 1 and ¾ miles from Alcatraz Island to Marina Green as part of his successful completion of the Escape from Alcatraz triathalon. Andy has also completed multiple marathons, including Chicago and New York.
- Law clerk to the Honorable Norman K. Moon of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., high honors
- Order of the Coif
- Articles Editor, North Carolina Law Review, 2000
Hampden-Sydney College, B.A., summa cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Omicron Delta Kappa
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Fourth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Tax Court