Hirschler represents investment advisers and broker-dealers throughout the United States. Our clients include asset managers (including fund, OCIO and fund-of-fund managers), financial planners, wealth managers, introducing brokers, placement agents and M&A brokers.
Our team provides counsel on federal and state securities laws, regulations adopted by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Commodities Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the Municipal Securities Regulator Board (MSRB), the U.S. Treasury (including AML and OFAC) and various other state and federal regulators. We assist with drafting client and customer agreements for both retail and institutional clients, developing internal compliance policies, reviewing marketing and advertising materials, developing templates for investment policy statements, client profiles and fee schedules.
- Regularly represent financial advisors in transitioning from their employing broker-dealer (Protocol or non-Protocol member) to another broker-dealer or their own registered investment advisory firm.
- Represented numerous RIAs in the sale of their advisory businesses, including a the sale of a control stake in an advisory firm to a private equity fund that valued the advisory business at $100 million.
- Frequently advise RIAs and broker-dealers on regulatory compliance relating to topics such as soft dollars, custody, personal trading, outside business activities and disciplinary reporting, performance reporting and assets under management
- Regularly draft investment management agreements and sub-advisory agreement for managers advising both high net worth and institutional client accounts.
- Frequently advise RIAs and broker-dealers seeking to use firm or executive capital to seed new investment strategies that may later be offered to clients.
- Sought exemptive relief from the SEC on behalf of an unregistered investment manager seeking to be classified as a family office.
- Regularly represent departing key employees of institutional investment managers negotiating the buy-out terms for their profits stake in private funds sponsored by the manager.
- Denver, CO, 06.2019
- Ed Klees Participates in Institutional Limited Partners Association's (ILPA) Inaugural Private Equity Legal ConferenceArlington, VA, 04.02.2019
- New York, NY, 02.01.2019
- New York, NY, 02.01.2019
- New York, NY, 11.05.2018
Areas Of Concentration
- AlertSEC Adopts Broker-Dealer Best Interest Rule and Disclosure Duties for Broker-Dealers and RIAs, Publishes Key Advisers Act Interpretations
- PresentationEd Klees Presents During NACUA Annual Meeting
- Achievement18 Hirschler Lawyers Named to Virginia Super Lawyers 2019, 10 Named Virginia Rising Stars