"Our clients value experience and sound judgment. They know we provide practical, goal-oriented advice that is borne out of an intimate understanding of the investment management industry."
Investment managers seek Brian’s guidance throughout the complicated process of starting private equity, real estate and hedge funds, from legal documentation, including disclosures and partnership agreements, to marketing practices and tax issues. Clients rely on his experience in the private funds industry to better understand investor expectations and focus on implementing their investment strategies. An emphasis on each client’s particular fundraising and investment goals allows Brian to provide effective advice on fund structure, including related tax considerations, and a variety of regulatory concerns, including registration under the Investment Advisers Act and applicable state laws and exemptions from securities registration requirements under the Securities Act and state securities laws.
Institutional investors, including public pensions, university endowments and private foundations, also regularly engage Brian to evaluate and negotiate investments in private equity, private debt, hedge funds and fund-of-funds. Through long-standing relationships with these clients, he delivers counsel with an emphasis on legal, financial and tax concerns specific to each client and a view toward their respective long-term investment objectives.
Institutional investors also depend on Brian to protect their interests in secondary transactions, which often entail sales of large portfolios of private equity and venture capital fund interests. Brian’s transactional experience and knowledge in the private fund industry enables him to minimize client risk and reduce transaction costs.
Selected for inclusion as a “Rising Star,” Mergers & Acquisitions, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2017-2018
Recent fund formation matters
- A $100 million private real estate fund investing in office and hospitality properties
- A $50 million private real estate fund investing in retail properties
- Two hedge funds trading leveraged ETFs
- A hedge fund trading cryptocurrencies
- A quantitative hedge fund with a global, diversified portfolio
- A fund-of-funds trading public and private securities with a focus on sustainable strategies
- A “fundless sponsor” vehicle formed to acquire and develop a consumer products brand
Recent institutional investor matters
- €12.5 investment in a European subordinated debt fund by a private foundation
- $50 million investment in a Japanese hedge fund by a university endowment
- $250 million investment in a global buy-out fund by a public pension
- $100 million investment in a global co-investment fund by a public pension
- $25 million investment in a private equity fund-of-funds by a private foundation
- $100 million investment in a U.S. industrial real estate fund by a public pension
- Two $1 billion separately managed accounts
- $178 million secondary sale of private equity and venture capital fund interests
- New York, NY, 11.05.2018
- Richmond, VA, 10.09.2018
William & Mary Law School, J.D., magna cum laude
- William & Mary Law Review
The College of New Jersey, B.S., summa cum laude