Our tax team members work with you to help you navigate through the complexities of the Internal Revenue Code so that you can make efficient and thoughtful decisions to meet your business and personal goals. We believe that by helping you understand the tax consequences of the transactions you wish to pursue we can work together to help you achieve your objectives with confidence and comprehension.
Our tax professionals work with closely-held corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies, S corporations, tax-exempt organizations, trusts and estates, and sole proprietorships. We help explain and structure transactions without sacrificing your business acumen and skills by working with you to find tax efficient and appropriate ways to achieve your objectives.
Our experience covers federal, state, local and international tax matters arising from:
- selecting the right form of your enterprise;
- drafting partnership and operating agreements;
- structuring acquisitions, mergers, joint ventures, and reorganizations;
- navigating the tax consequences of debt modifications;
- generating and syndicating tax credits transactions;
- providing tax assistance for hedge funds, private equity investments, and endowments;
- representing states and program managers establish and maintain 529 and ABLE programs and offer municipal fund securities in those programs;
- advising on the design and administration of employee benefits, equity compensation and deferred compensation plans;
- assisting with 409A compliance;
- counseling entities and individuals on business succession planning;
- preparing formal letter ruling requests for guidance from the IRS and state taxing authorities;
- obtaining determination letters for and helping maintain qualifications of tax-exempt entities;
- handling tax controversies before the IRS and other taxing authorities;
- providing sophisticated tax planning, including income, estate, gift and generation-skipping tax planning for high net worth individuals and families;
- preparing Irrevocable Trusts, including Grantor Retained Trusts, Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts (ILITs), Intentionally Defective Grantor Trusts, Self-Settled Asset Protections Trusts; and
- Creating and maintaining family limited partnerships and limited liability companies
Successfully negotiated and closed of numerous sales and acquisitions of various middle-market size businesses including nontaxable and taxable, leveraged, intra-family and non-related sales and acquisitions.
Assisted multiple clients in forming LLCs, drafting operating agreements and issuing capital and profits interests.
Counseled foreign and domestic individual and entities in relation to US taxation of cross-border business transactions.
Represented multiple State agencies in connection with compliance, disclosure, contract negotiations and issuance of municipal fund securities for 529 Plans with assets under management in excess of $50 billion.
Advised clients on deferred and reverse like-kind exchanges and drafting tenancy-in-common and other related agreements.
Represented a State Treasurer’s Office in successfully negotiating and opening the country’s first automated (robo)-advisor 529 Plan.
Representation of clients in the negotiation and preparation of numerous separate conservation easements and restricted deeds qualifying for charitable deduction and tax credits, including preparation and documentation for the transfer of such credits.
Represented multiple State agencies in establishing and maintaining ABLE programs, including contract negotiations with program managers, compliance review and drafting disclosure documents needed to successfully launch those programs.
Representation of personal representatives in administration of large estates with local circuit courts, as well as federal and state taxing authorities.
Facilitated expansion of a non-profit’s charitable gaming activities and ensured compliance with applicable federal tax law and state gambling laws.
Advised multiple clients across a range of industries regarding worker classification and employment tax matters.
Advised on tax classification and procedure for payments resulting from the settlement of a class-action litigation.
Successfully represented clients in IRS audits of tax-qualified retirement plans.
Successfully negotiated, prepared and closed historic, new-market and low-income tax credit transactions (including structuring partnership and investment documents for investors and developers) for numerous private developer-owned projects (multi-family, industrial, commercial and retail uses).
Successfully negotiated, prepared and closed numerous historic tax credit transactions (including structuring partnership and investment documents for investors and developers) for non-profit and local government-owned projects (such as multi-family, commercial/retail, office, museum, church, theater and university facilities).
Successfully negotiated and closed numerous dental practice transactions and transitions; counseling and preparation of estate and succession plans for closely-held businesses and family assets; negotiation and preparation of numerous conservation easements and restricted deeds qualifying for charitable deduction and tax credits, including preparation and documentation for the transfer of such credits.
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Providence Forge, VA, 11.09.2019
- Hirschler, The Edgeworth Building, 2100 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23223, 07.30.2019
- Hirschler, The Edgeworth Building, 2100 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23223, 05.29.2019
- Commonwealth Club, Richmond, VA, 02.19.2019
- Hilton Downtown Richmond, 501 E Broad St, Richmond, VA 23219, 01.23.2019
- Richmond, VA, 11.29.2018
- Orlando, FL, 09.24.2018
- Richmond, VA, 01.17.2018
- Your 2020 Tax Plan: Three Steps To Position Yourself and Your Business for Success in the Year Ahead12.17.2019
- Accounting Today, 11.13.2019
- Virginia Business, 04.29.2019
- Fall 2018
- Your Home 1 Source, 10.09.2018
- Tax Credit Alert: IRS Releases Guidance under Section 50(d) for Lease-Pass Through Investment Credit Partnerships07.21.2016
- DOL’s Interpretation on Worker Classification May Impact Employer Payroll and Tax Reporting Obligations07.22.2015
- Transfer of Stock in Newly Formed Corporation to Newly Formed Partnership Does Not Taint Tax-Free Exchange02.13.2015
- AlertYour 2020 Tax Plan: Three Steps To Position Yourself and Your Business for Success in the Year Ahead
- Firm News38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law Category
- Firm NewsJamie Canup Appointed to Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board (MSRB)