Josh advises individuals and families in Virginia, South Carolina and the District of Columbia with respect to estate planning, tax planning, and trust and estate administration services. He provides estate planning services to a broad range of clients: from young families whose primary goal is to ensure the protection of their minor children, to owners of closely-held businesses seeking the most efficient means to transition the business to the next generation of owners, to individuals and families with significant assets wishing to minimize transfer taxes or maximize charitable giving.
With respect to trust and estate administration matters, Josh advises Executors and Trustees on the most effective and efficient procedures for carrying out their fiduciary obligations, as well as trust and estate beneficiaries who need the assistance of an attorney in protecting their beneficial interests. Additionally, Josh represents business entities of varying size and industry in organizational and income tax planning matters.
Prior to joining Hirschler, Josh spent several years in practice with a Charleston, South Carolina firm that focused on tax and asset protection planning. He then gained additional experience with a boutique Richmond firm focused on estate planning, and trust and estate administration services. At Hirschler, Josh has been able to offer clients his combined skills on one platform thereby providing a broader set of legal services.
Named to “Legal Elite” (Taxes/Estates/Trusts/Elder Law), Virginia Business, 2017-2018
- Represented high net worth families in estate planning transactions which integrated income and transfer taxation planning, business succession planning, and asset protection planning goals .
- In conjunction with above transactions, prepared Revocable Trust, Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts, Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts, Qualified Personal Residence Trusts, Intentionally Defective Grantor Trusts, Self-Settled Asset Protection Trusts, and Charitable Trusts.
- Prepared Special Needs Trusts for families with disabled individuals.
- Represented numerous families in estate planning transactions which included preparation of Wills, Revocable Trusts, powers of attorney for financial and health care matters.
- Prepared federal gift and estate tax returns for high net worth individuals and families
- Represented personal representatives in administration of large estates with local circuit courts, as well as federal and state taxing authorities.
- Represent trustees in trust administration matters, including distribution determinations and non-judicial settlement agreements.
- Prepared Limited Liability Company Operating Agreements, Shareholder Agreements and Buy-Sell Agreements for closely-held businesses.
- Advised clients on the formation of various state law entities, including corporations, LLCs, limited partnerships and non-profit corporations.
- Virginia Family and Private Business Forum, a sponsor presentation on Estate Planning and Business Succession Planning04.2017
- DOL’s Interpretation on Worker Classification May Impact Employer Payroll and Tax Reporting Obligations07.22.2015
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
Josh and his wife live in Hanover County, Virginia with their two very energetic young boys.
While completing his undergraduate degree at West Virginia University, Josh was a member of Mountaineer football team and was named to the Big East Conference All-Academic Football. Josh is a member of the Virginia Breast Cancer Foundation Board of Directors and Finance Committee.
Away from the office, Josh can be found at the gym or spending time with his family in the Virginia and West Virginia mountains or in the Northern Neck
Denver Sturm College of Law, LL.M., Taxation
University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D., Southeastern Environmental Law Journal
West Virginia University, B.S., Business Administration - Finance
- District of Columbia
- South Carolina