Josh advises individuals and families with respect to estate, transfer tax, and business succession planning, as well as trust and estate administration services. He provides these services to a broad range of clients: from young families whose primary goal is to ensure the protection of their minor children, to owners of closely-held businesses seeking the most efficient means to transition the business to the next generation of owners, to individuals and families with significant assets looking to minimize transfer taxes or maximize charitable giving.
With respect to trust and estate administration matters, Josh advises Executors and Trustees on the most effective and efficient procedures for carrying out their fiduciary obligations, as well as trust and estate beneficiaries who need the assistance of an attorney in protecting their beneficial interests. These matters require an understanding of family, financial, and legal issues involved and the steady hand of an experienced advisor can be vital when seeking an amicable resolution for all involved.
Additionally, Josh represents business entities of varying size and industry in organizational and income tax planning matters. This includes the preparation of governance documents and buy-sell agreements for corporations, limited liability companies and limited partnerships. These types of engagements almost always include complicated business succession issues which frequently are connected to estate and tax planning for the business owners.
Named to “Legal Elite” (Taxes/Estates/Trusts/Elder Law), Virginia Business, 2017-2018
- Represented high net worth families in estate planning transactions which integrated income and transfer taxation planning, business succession planning, charitable planning and asset protection planning goals .
- In conjunction with above transactions, prepared Revocable Trust, Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts, Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts, Qualified Personal Residence Trusts, Intentionally Defective Grantor Trusts, Self-Settled Asset Protection Trusts, and Charitable Trusts.
- Prepared Special Needs Trusts for families with disabled individuals.
- Represented numerous families in estate planning transactions which included preparation of Wills, Revocable Trusts, powers of attorney for financial and health care matters.
- Advised trustees and beneficiaries in various trust decanting actions, both with and without judicial involvement.
- Prepared federal gift and estate tax returns for high net worth individuals and families
- Represented personal representatives in administration of large estates with local circuit courts, as well as federal and state taxing authorities.
- Represent trustees in trust administration matters, including distribution determinations and non-judicial settlement agreements, and petitions for modification and termination of irrevocable trust agreements.
- Prepared Limited Liability Company Operating Agreements, Shareholder Agreements and Buy-Sell Agreements for closely-held businesses.
- Advised clients on the formation of various state law entities, including corporations, LLCs, limited partnerships and non-profit corporations.
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Virginia Family and Private Business Forum, a sponsor presentation on Estate Planning and Business Succession Planning04.2017
- Your 2020 Tax Plan: Three Steps To Position Yourself and Your Business for Success in the Year Ahead12.17.2019
- DOL’s Interpretation on Worker Classification May Impact Employer Payroll and Tax Reporting Obligations07.22.2015
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
Josh and his wife live in Hanover County, Virginia with their two very energetic young boys.
While completing his undergraduate degree at West Virginia University, Josh was a member of Mountaineer football team and was named to the Big East Conference All-Academic Football. Josh is a member of the Virginia Breast Cancer Foundation Board of Directors and Finance Committee.
Away from the office, Josh can be found at the gym or spending time with his family in the Virginia and West Virginia mountains or in the Northern Neck.
Denver Sturm College of Law, LL.M., Taxation
University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D., Southeastern Environmental Law Journal
West Virginia University, B.S., Business Administration - Finance
- District of Columbia
- South Carolina