"My goal is to help clients find practical solutions to succeed in all stages of their business."
Rob has more than 20 years of experience counseling clients on a variety of intellectual property, technology, licensing, franchising and general corporate matters.
Intellectual Property and Technology
Rob advises clients on transactional and enforcement issues related to trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, unfair competition, false advertising, entertainment law, as well as privacy, data security, computer law, social media, and other technology and Internet-related matters.
He has deep experience in domestic and international trademark selection, clearance and registration and intellectual property and technology licensing, protection and enforcement matters.
In support of the firm’s M&A lawyers, he also routinely advises on intellectual property, information privacy, cybersecurity and technology matters in connection with numerous mergers, acquisitions and dispositions.
Information Privacy and Cybersecurity
Rob assists clients with understanding and complying with the complex and changing legal landscape of privacy and cybersecurity law. He regularly advises clients regarding a wide variety data protection, privacy, data breach notification, and information security matters under foreign and domestic state and federal law.
Franchising and General Corporate
Rob counsels clients on a variety of franchise and distribution related matters, including compliance with state and federal franchise disclosure, registration and relationship laws, development of franchise systems and related disclosure documents, and negotiation of franchise and distribution agreements. He also assists clients with related general corporate matters, including corporate formation and governance issues.
Before joining Hirschler Fleischer, Rob was an associate in the Trademark and Copyright Group of the Intellectual Property Practice at Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, LLP in Washington, DC.
Best Lawyers in America® for Copyright Law, 2024
Best Lawyers in America® for Litigation – Intellectual Property, 2014-2024
Named to “Legal Elite” (Intellectual Property Information/Technology), Virginia Business, 2007-2011, 2013-2014, 2016-2022
Representation of client in connection with sale of ownership interests in medical cannabis business.
Representation of international entertainment and media publishing entities in connection with copyright dispute related to use of artistic visual works and trademark dispute related to international branding of musical entertainers.
Representation of global cosmetic and skin care company in acquisition and sale of global brands and related intellectual property assets.
Representation of various clients in responding to data security incidents and complying with state and federal law in connection with same, including data breach notification requirements.
Representation of medical cannabis businesses in connection with obtaining a pharmaceutical processor permit in Virginia.
Advising various clients regarding compliance with information privacy laws, including the General Data Protection Rule (“GDPR”), the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) and the Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act (“CDPA”).
Representation of global beverage alcohol company in sales and acquisitions of beverage alcohol and non-alcoholic beverage brands and related intellectual property assets.
Representation of global software developer and licensor in connection with developing a software distribution system and ongoing negotiation of software reseller, original equipment manufacturer and end user license agreements with customers.
Management of various domestic and international trademark portfolios for various manufacturers and services providers, including craft beer, cosmetic and skin-care products, beverage alcohol products, chemical products, medical devices, industrial equipment, toys, software, and various consulting services.
Assistance with the registration of franchise disclosure documents and related agreements in connection with franchised quick service restaurant, food product distribution, and registered investment advisory businesses, among others.
- Hirschler Grows Best Lawyers in America Recognitions to 46 Attorneys, Two Honored as “Lawyers of the Year” and Nine as “Ones to Watch”08.17.2023
- 36 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Best Lawyers in America, Three Honored As "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight As "Ones to Watch"08.18.2022
- 37 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2022 Best Lawyers®, Six Honored as "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight as "Ones to Watch"08.19.2021
- Virginia Business Magazine, 11.30.2020
- 26 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2021 Best Lawyers®, 4 Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 3 Listed Among “Ones to Watch”08.20.2020
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Rob Henley Speaks at the American Bar Association Forum on Franchising on "The Form of Ownership of the Franchisor: Issues and Concerns"10.2013
- California Attorney General Files Final Proposed Regulations for The California Consumer Privacy Act of 201806.25.2020
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
Rob enjoys playing tennis, watching soccer and playing the guitar. Other interests include hiking, Virginia craft beers, skiing anywhere, the Northern Neck of Virginia, and spending time with his wife and three children.
- Rob served as a law clerk for the Honorable Wiley Y. Daniel and the U.S. Magistrate Judge Patricia A. Coan of the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado.
University of Denver Law School, J.D.
University of Virginia, B.A.
- District of Columbia
- Firm NewsHirschler Grows Best Lawyers in America Recognitions to 46 Attorneys, Two Honored as “Lawyers of the Year” and Nine as “Ones to Watch”
- Firm News43 Hirschler Attorneys Ranked Among Virginia's 2022 Legal Elite
- Firm News36 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Best Lawyers in America, Three Honored As "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight As "Ones to Watch"