“Clients need dependable solutions that transform perceived risks into financial value. My unwavering focus is on maximizing the value of a transaction to a client’s business.”
Robert’s practice primarily centers on financing and investment transactions, with a strong emphasis on leveraged finance and investment fund deals. He plays a pivotal role in representing investment fund clients and institutional investors, offering his extensive knowledge in structuring, negotiating, and documenting a wide range of investment transactions. In addition, Robert provides invaluable guidance to businesses, banks and private credit lenders covering all aspects of commercial financings, which include senior secured financings, syndications and asset-based lending.
Moreover, Robert extends his expertise to advising clients on structuring financing for acquisitions, leveraged buyouts (LBOs), and distressed credit situations. By maintaining state-of-the-art familiarity with market structures and terms, he is able to offer solutions for meeting his clients’ business and financial objectives in a manner acceptable to counterparties. Robert’s role as a strategic advisor in complex financing transactions further underscores his commitment to delivering practical solutions.
Notably, Robert has successfully represented global asset managers, private equity firms and leading financial institutions in intricate investment transactions including investments in debt securities, collateralized loan obligations and distressed debt. He represents institutional investors in negotiations with external investment managers across asset classes for allocations ranging from $5 million to $1 billion. Robert’s experience extends to advising pension funds, foundations and endowments on commercial real estate investments.
Prior to joining Hirschler, Robert was a part of the investment transactions team at Morrison & Foerster LLP, and before then, Robert practiced at Skadden Arps.
- Representation of private equity clientele in negotiating and documenting credit facilities, mezzanine debt facilities and preferred equity to fund merger and acquisition transactions.
- Representation of privately held companies in raising capital through the issuance of senior preferred equity, HoldCo payment-in-kind (PIK) financing instruments, factoring arrangements and hybrid securities.
- Representation of purchasers and sellers in negotiating and structuring financing for leveraged buyout (LBO) transactions.
- Representation of financial institutions and corporate borrowers in secured and unsecured credit facilities, senior and subordinated debt instruments, guaranty and collateral agreements, deposit account control agreements, commitment papers, amendments, waivers, and perfection and termination of various types of security interests.
- Representation of institutional investor clientele in negotiating private equity and venture fund investments, including fund documents and side letters.
- Representation of institutional investor clientele in secondary acquisitions of limited partnership interest and other secondary market transactions.
- Representation of commercial lenders and fund managers in negotiating and documenting capital call subscription lines of credit, fund manager credit lines, and other private equity and venture fund loans.
- Representation of investment managers in negotiating ISDA documentation, prime brokerage agreements, repurchase agreements and other derivatives-related agreements.
- Representation of public companies engaged in merger transactions, including $73 billion financial institutions merger, $4 billion software company merger, $15 billion defense contractor merger, and $500 million chemical company merger, as part of mergers and acquisitions legal advisory team.
- Represented global asset managers and financial institutions in over $1 trillion in investments in debt, distressed debt and equity securities.
- Represented private-equity backed technology company in securing $1 billion senior credit facility, $378 million second lien senior secured notes offering, and $365 million senior notes exchange offering.
- Represented private-equity backed education company in financing $260 million acquisition of a publicly-traded company.
- Represented financial institution in acquiring 7 collateral loan obligation (CLO) funds from CLO managers.
- Represented institutional investor in $250 million fund-of-one commitment in evergreen investment fund.
- Represented private-equity backed holding company in issuing $50 million tranche of PIK preferred equity securities and structuring $25 million tranche of delayed issuance PIK preferred equity securities.
- Represented institutional investor in negotiating investor letter for $300 million investment in credit strategies fund.
- Represented a private wealth management firm in refinancing $125 million senior secured credit facility.
- Represented corporate client in launching Canadian subsidiary, drafted cross-border financing and administrative services agreements.
- Represented private-equity-backed global conglomerate in internal reorganization consolidation of business units in the United Kingdom and Australia.
- Represented administrative agent in refinancing of secured and unsecured subordinated notes through borrower’s issuance of a new $50 million tranche of unsecured Regulation D debt securities.
- Represented financial institution in engagement as joint lead arranger for $225 million senior secured credit facility.
- Represented administrative agent in $95 million senior secured syndicated credit facility.
- Represented institutional investor in negotiating investment advisory agreement for $250 million allocation to derivatives strategies investment management firm.
- Represented equipment finance company in asset-based lending transactions and negotiating inventory purchase and sale agreements.
- Represented investment management firm in $10 million in real estate investment and development projects.
- Represented financial institution in documenting letter of credit sublimit for corporate borrower’s existing credit facility
- Represented financial institution in negotiating and documenting $20 million revolving credit facilities for nonprofit borrower with repayment backed by donation pledges.
- Represented private-equity backed holding company in financing $210 million acquisition through incremental issuance of PIK preferred equity securities and incremental term loans under a senior secured credit facility.
- Represented administrative agent in subordinating senior secured credit facility to equipment financing and payment card facilities.
- Represented corporate borrower in amendment and restatement of credit agreement for $25 million senior secured credit facility.
- Represented private-equity backed construction services company in negotiating and documenting leveraged finance credit facility.
- Represented private-equity backed holding company in $75 million financing through issuance of preferred equity securities, and incremental term loans and incremental delayed draw term loans under a senior secured credit facility.
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
A native of Tulsa, Oklahoma, Robert now lives in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, DC, with his wife. Outside of work, Robert enjoys playing golf and being active outdoors. He is an avid foodie and likes cooking and eating (well, mostly eating) exciting new dishes.
- Law Clerk for the Honourable Michael J. Kewish (QC), Queen’s Crown Court, Cumbria, England
Georgetown Law School, J.D., with honors
- Editor-in-Chief, Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics
- Georgetown Law Fellow
Harvard College, B.A., with honors
- Harvard International Law Scholar
- Mellon Foundation Scholar
- Ford Foundation Scholar
- District of Columbia