Seth has over twenty years of experience in M&A, private equity, regulatory and project development, with a focus in representing companies and industries in the sustainability, ESG and decarbonization sectors here in the US and in Europe. He has assisted clients in attracting and deploying billions of dollars of capital to develop sustainable international supply chains for renewable fuels and renewable power generation.
Splitting his time between the US and Europe for nearly a decade, Seth has established long standing relationships with policy makers, regulators, entrepreneurs, and senior business executives in the European sustainability, ESG and decarbonization sectors. Seth has played a leading role in helping clients develop best in class sustainability certification systems for complex international supply chains and working with policymakers for the adoption of those certifications by the European Union, its member-states and the United Kingdom. Representative engagements include creating markets for clients surrounding the passage and implementation of the Renewable Energy Directives I and II at the EU level (including designing and implementing strategies for engagement and advocacy with the European Commission, European Council and European Parliament) and implementation of member state level regulation in the Netherlands, Denmark, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Poland, and in the United Kingdom (including working closely with policy makers and regulators within each member state to ensure that US based products are compliant with EU and member state regulation).
He is currently advising a number of clients as it relates to Europe's Green Deal. Seth has also lead various industry efforts to help assist clients in clearing competition approvals within the EU and has extensive experience in advising US based clients on market penetration and development within the EU and its member states. He has also advised some of Europes largest power generators with regard to decarbonization and climate change mitigation strategies.
He has served on the US Department of Commerce, International Trade Administration's Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Advisory Committee as well as on the board of the National Alliance of Forest Partners.
Seth holds an undergraduate degree from Virginia Tech, a Juris Doctorate degree from the University of Richmond School of Law and is a Fellow of the University of Virginia’s Sorensen Institute for Political Leadership. He is a former Senior Assistant Attorney General and Section Chief of Commerce and Financial Law for the Commonwealth of Virginia and is currently a shareholder with Hirschler, a US based law firm.
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, 2022
Selected for inclusion as a “Super Lawyer,” Government Relations, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2014, 2015 and 2017-2020
Named to “Legal Elite, Legislative, Administrative and Regulatory Law, Virginia Business, 2007-2011, 2013-2014, 2017; Business Law, 2016, 2018-2020
Selected for inclusion as a “Rising Star” by Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2011
Inside Business Top 40 Under 40, 2002
Counsel to leading global energy and infrastructure company in the development of numerous “greenfield” manufacturing facility projects. Projects total $500 million in assets deployed or in the pipeline.
Counsel to, and Executive Director of, the U.S. Industrial Pellet Association representing the industrial wood pellet industry in supply chain infrastructure issues including policy advocacy at the European Union Parliament in Brussels and the United Kingdom Parliament in London. Work also includes issues surrounding the standardization of trading contracts, quality specifications and sustainability criteria.
Counsel to numerous energy and infrastructure companies in negotiation and drafting of long term fuel supply agreements with European utilities.
Counsel to a number of landfill gas-to-energy developers. Representation has included negotiating and drafting power purchase agreements, project finance and structuring various forms or capital related to the transactions, as well as general counsel related to various corporate matters.
Counsel to an international wood pellet manufacturer in a substantial recapitalization of its business by an international alternative energy private equity fund and multiple subsequent mergers and acquisitions of strategic targets in the industry.
Counsel to an international combined heat and power biomass developer relating to drafting and negotiation of energy supply agreement and in recapitalization of its business.
Counsel to numerous renewable energy companies relating to legislative initiatives including drafting, negotiating and successfully lobbying the passage of various new laws relating to renewable energy including a real and personal property tax exemption for “renewable energy” projects in Virginia.
Counsel to numerous renewable energy companies relating to multi-state economic development incentives including successfully negotiating the award of multiple multi-million dollar grants for projects.
Counsel to the Virginia Retirement System, Virginia’s state run pension fund with over $75 billion under management.
Counsel to Virginia College Savings Plan, the country’s largest 529 plan with over $22 billion in assets under management.
Counsel to Virginia Small Business Financing Authority, Virginia’s economic development financing arm providing debt financing to businesses in Virginia – representation included due diligence, advice and counsel on approval of financings.
Counsel to an Internet-based investor information company in a public offering and listing on the London Stock Exchange valued at over $100 million.
Counsel to a privately-held event management and ticketing company when it was acquired by a NASDAQ listed entertainment and travel conglomerate in a $23 million stock swap structured as a tax-free transaction.
Counsel to a pari-mutuel thoroughbred and standardbred racetrack in a ‘going private’ merger.
Counsel to numerous corporations, limited partnerships, and limited liability companies in private placement offerings of securities, including Section 4(2) and Reg D Rule 506 sales.
- 37 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Best Lawyers in America, Three Honored As "Lawyers of the Year" and Nine As "Ones to Watch"08.18.2022
- 37 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2022 Best Lawyers®, Six Honored as "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight as "Ones to Watch"08.19.2021
- Virginia Business Magazine, 11.30.2020
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Biomass Magazine, 03.09.2017
- "U.S. Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker Appoints New Members to Clean Energy Industry Advisory Committee"commerce.gov, 10.05.2016
- Savannah, GA, 03.19.2019
- Chicago, IL, 10.08.2018
- Spring 2018
- London, United Kingdom, 04.01.2018
- Tokyo, Japan, 05.14.18 - 05.17.18
- Seoul, South Korea, Spring 2017
- Amsterdam, Netherlands, Spring 2017
- Las Vegas, NV, 01.01.2017
- London, United Kingdom, Spring 2016
- Miami, FL, 01.01.2016
- London, United Kingdom, Spring 2015
- Miami, FL, 01.01.2015
- London, United Kingdom, Spring 2014
- Miami, FL, 01.01.2014
- The UK’s National Security and Investment Bill: A New Source of Political Risk for Foreign Direct Investment11.16.2020
- Seth Ginther Co-Authors "The first EU wide sustainability criteria for forest biomass must reach the market"EURACTIV, 03.08.2019
- Biomass Magazine , 06.08.2017
- Biomass Magazine, 01.12.2017
- Biomass Magazine , 11.10.2016
- Biomass Magazine
- Biomass Magazine, 01.28.2016
- Biomass Magazine, 11.16.2015
University of Richmond School of Law, J.D.
- Editor-in-Chief of the Richmond Journal of Law and Public Interest
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, B.A.
- Firm News37 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Best Lawyers in America, Three Honored As "Lawyers of the Year" and Nine As "Ones to Watch"
- Achievement35 Hirschler Attorneys Honored Among Virginia's Legal Elite
- Firm News37 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2022 Best Lawyers®, Six Honored as "Lawyers of the Year" and Eight as "Ones to Watch"