"Leadership of a law firm is like coaching a very talented baseball team. The leader is in charge of getting the right people in the right positions, letting each excel and providing enough coordination such that the whole is better than the individual performances."
Jim engages an active corporate practice focused on mergers and acquisitions, and legal advice to closely-held businesses.
Jim counsels clients on the “life events” affecting their businesses. He is a trusted advisor to owners of closely-held or family-owned businesses looking to sell or transition their enterprises. He has advised sellers in the manufacturing, distribution and services industries, with transaction values ranging from $10 million to $500 million.
Jim assists owners as they seek to grow their businesses through acquisitions. Jim’s mergers and acquisitions experience includes strategic acquisitions by middle-market companies and entrepreneurs, and industry consolidation/rollup acquisitions. He regularly counsels a national investment banking firm on their day-to-day legal needs, including the negotiation of engagement agreements. He oversees due diligence investigation of acquisition targets, and negotiates a wide array of agreements to accomplish specialized goals of the client relating to an acquisition.
Jim’s even-keel demeanor can be an asset in the stressful situations that frequently arise in a merger and acquisition transaction. Drawing on deep knowledge of the law, an entrepreneurial mind-set and strong communication skills, he is able to address important and thorny issues. With experience, insight and a calm bearing, Jim can successfully steer clients to a successful outcome.
Jim’s client base includes a diverse group of private businesses. Despite the diversity, there are common needs among business owners for clarity in shareholder relations, employment agreements, capital structures and relationships with key vendors and customers. He helps clients navigate these critical relationships.
Jim’s practice includes:
- Providing regular guidance on shareholder agreements, operating agreements for limited liability companies, employment agreements, supply agreements and other documents related to key relationships in a business.
- Represented management owners investing new and roll-over equity in connection with an acquisition between two private equity groups and the negotiation of new employment agreements, which included additional equity incentives.
- Guided the founder of an electric supply business through the sale of his business to an industry leader that involved negotiation of a significant transitional services agreement.
- Advise and assist a growing moving and storage business in its acquisition of businesses and warehouses on the East Coast
- Evaluated and negotiated several co-investment opportunities for clients with a number of private equity groups.
- Counseling owners of businesses with practical, cost-effective advice in a wide variety of areas ranging from electrical supply, environmental remediation and technology, real estate management and acquisition, a safety and security hardware and software developer, manufacturing, moving and storage, and food services.
- Advising the sellers of owners of several professional service businesses in the sale of the businesses to strategic buyers and financial buyers.
- Counseling clients with respect to Virginia’s laws on gambling, charity gaming and fantasy sports contests.
Prior to joining Hirschler Fleischer, Jim was an associate at Debevoise & Plimpton in its New York and Paris offices.
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America, Gaming Law, Securities/Capital Markets Law, and Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2012, 2014-2020
Named to Virginia’s “Legal Elite, (Legal Services/Pro Bono), Virginia Business, 2018-2019; (Business Law), Virginia Business, 2017, 2019
Selected for inclusion as a “Super Lawyer,” Mergers & Acquisitions, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2013-2020
Named to “Legal Elite, Legal Services/Pro Bono, Virginia Business, 2012-2016, 2019
Named a “Leader in the Law,” Virginia Lawyers Weekly, 2016
Named “Lawyer of the Year,” Gaming Law, Richmond, The Best Lawyers in America, 2014
Advised a middle-market merger and acquisition investment banking firm with national clientele in its day-to-day negotiations of engagement agreements, co-investments and confidentiality agreements and provides other corporate legal services.
Advised the owners of a leading truck leasing firm in the sale of their business to Penske Truck Leasing, a global transportation services provider.
Represented one of the largest independent electrical distributors in the Virginia and North Carolina markets and one of the largest electrical supplies distributors in New Mexico in its sale to East Dubuque, IL-based Crescent Electric Supply Co.
Counselled the owner of a growing moving and storage business in its acquisition of similar businesses licensed by the Army’s Surface Deployment and Distribution Command.
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Hirschler Fleischer Recognized as M&A Advisor’s Law Firm of the Year, Partner Named Finalist for Legal Advisor of the Year11.20.2014
- Short Pump, VA, 10.22.2018
- Richmond, VA, 10.03.2018
- Off to the Races: SBA Paycheck Protection Program Application Period Opens Today: Key Updates and Guidance04.03.2020
- Loan Forgiveness Under the Stimulus Act: Is Now The Time To Apply for Your First SBA Loan? (And Other Loan Benefits of the CARES Act)03.27.2020
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
Jim’s biggest personal accomplishment is raising two remarkable and wonderful daughters with his wife of 26 years (Rosann).
Jim and Rosann love to travel. Now empty-nesters, they regularly return to Paris, where they lived for nearly a year following their marriage. In 2018, they took their first trip to Africa, visiting South Africa and Botswana.
Jim believes lawyers have an obligation to give back to the community and he leads by example, devoting hundreds of hours each year to charitable causes. One of his most rewarding volunteer experiences was serving as president of Central Virginia Food Bank, where he helped drive the merger of the Food Bank and Meals on Wheels, expanding the reach of those organizations that serve hungry children and families in 34 Virginia counties.
Fun facts: Jim can ride a unicycle and has seen every episode of Modern Family and is a big fan of Division III Women’s Ultimate Frisbee.
- Law clerk for the Honorable Richard L. Williams of Eastern District of Virginia Federal District Court
The University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
- Order of the Coif
- Editorial Board, Virginia Law Review
- Notes Editor, Virginia Journal of International Law
Brown University, B.A., magna cum laude