"Robert Westermann is an 'articulate litigator,' who is 'always professional, smart, and knows what he is doing.'" Chambers USA
Robbie’s practice focuses on bankruptcy law, creditors’ and debtors’ rights, and general commercial litigation. Upon graduating from law school, Robbie served as a law clerk to the Honorable Blackwell N. Shelley, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Virginia. Before joining Hirschler in 2009, he worked at Hunton & Williams LLP.
Honored as one of the Top 50 Richmond, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2021
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2011-2012, 2014-2018, 2020-2021
Selected for inclusion as a “Super Lawyer,” Bankruptcy, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2013-2021
Named a “Leader in the Field,” Bankruptcy/Restructuring, Virginia, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2015-2021
Named to “Legal Elite” (Bankruptcy/Creditors’ Rights), Virginia Business, 2009-2020
Representation of Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 debtors, trustees, liquidating trustees, and plan administrators in many different industries and specialties, including health care, retail, real estate, coal, construction, and manufacturing (cases include Health Diagnostic Laboratory, Parham Construction Company, Virginia United Methodist Homes of Williamsburg, Service Dogs by Warren Retrievers, Inc., Victor M. Dandridge, III, IBCS Mining, Tuskeena Wytheville Center, Cardiac Connections Home Health Care Nursing, D-Scan, Inc., Road Runner Enterprises, S. A. Medical of Virginia, River City Renaissance, Campbell Graphics, MMR Holdings, Carter’s Grove, River City Cleaners, and RBX Industries)
Representation of Creditors Committees in Chapter 11 cases (cases include Ann Taylor/Ascena Retail Group, Inc., J. Crew/Chino's Holdings, Body Renew Winchester II, LLC, Simbeck, Inc, Shenandoah Family Farms Cooperative, Dynamic Construction Services, Roper Brothers Lumber Company, and Rubatex International)
Representation of creditors and stakeholders in Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 cases, including vendors, landlords, services and goods providers, lenders and other secured creditors, indenture trustees, officers and directors, shareholders, and purchasers and sellers of assets (cases include Toys R Us, Pier 1, Intelsat, Penn Virginia Corporation, The Gymboree Corporation, Outer Harbor Terminal, Mountain Crane, Alpha Natural Resources, Patriot Coal, Xinergy, James River Coal, Circuit City, S&K Famous Brands, Movie Gallery, LandAmerica Financial Group, Bear Island/White Birch Paper Company, Ennstone, and Prospect Homes of Richmond)
Representation of creditors and other parties in interest in Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 cases throughout the country (including cases in Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, West Virginia, and Wyoming)
Representation of Chapter 7 trustees in individual cases involving asset sales, claims/exemptions objections, and pursuit of avoidance action and other claims
Representation of key parties in interest in workouts, restructurings, federal and state court receiverships, and attendant litigation and claims resolution, including borrowers, lenders, receivers, and other stakeholders
Representation of local and regional clients in all manner of creditors’ rights actions, including collections, foreclosures and deeds in lieu of foreclosure, seizure and sale of assets, garnishments, and levies
Representation of nationwide consumer and mortgage lenders in both federal and state courts throughout the Southeast, including defense of class actions, defense of claims under federal statutes including TILA, HOEPA, FDCPA, FCRA, and RESPA, and defense of claims based on common law and state statutes
- Virginia Business Magazine, 11.30.2020
- 26 Hirschler Lawyers Named to 2021 Best Lawyers®, 4 Named “Lawyers of the Year” and 3 Listed Among “Ones to Watch”08.20.2020
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Amelia Island, FL, 07.24.2020
- Amelia Island, Florida, 05.22.2019
- Robbie Westermann Speaks on Understanding New Bankruptcy Proof of Claim Form in a Lorman Live Webinar11.2017
- Litigating Relief Stay Motions in Commercial Cases, Annual Bankruptcy Practice Seminar03.2017
- Bankruptcy Advice for Business Owners, Tidewater Bankruptcy Bar Association05.2016
- Robbie Westermann Addresses Recent Developments at the 30th Annual Mid-Atlantic Institute on Bankruptcy and Reorganization Practice09.2015
- Caveat Emptor: The Purchase and Sale of Debt in Bankruptcy, ABI Mid-Atlantic Bankruptcy Workshop08.2014
- To Be or Not To Be Employed by a Debtor in Bankruptcy - A Consideration of Ethical Issues, VBA Bankruptcy Law Conference05.2011
- Westermann Discusses Landlord Tenant Issues in Bankruptcy at Fredericksburg Area Bar Association Event03.2011
- The Small Business Reorganization Act May Be About To Get (Much) Smaller. The Time To Act Could Be Now.03.01.2021
- We’re All in This Together: Key Considerations for Lenders, Investors and Tenants in the Wake of COVID-1903.27.2020
- Impending Changes to the Bankruptcy Code Improve the Ability of Small Businesses to Reorganize and Add Restrictions to Efforts to Recover Preferential Transfers09.10.2019
- Bankruptcy Courts Empowered To Issue Proposed Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law on Stern Claims06.10.2014
- Law v. Siegel: Chapter 7 Trustees and Bankruptcy Courts Lose, While Debtor’s Fraudulent Behavior Goes Unpunished03.05.2014
- Developments in Complex Individual Bankruptcies: Recent Fourth Circuit Opinions on Underwater Mortgages — Part One: Lien Stripping in Chapter 2012.04.2013
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
A native of Nashville, Tennessee, Robbie became an “adopted” Virginian upon matriculating to the University of Virginia, working as a paralegal in D.C. for three years, marrying his wife Townsend who is from Richmond, spending three years in Lexington attending W&L Law, and then embarking on his legal career in Richmond.
Robbie remains an avid fan of all things Nashville, in particular the Titans of the NFL and the rock band Kings of Leon, and enjoys several sports, especially golf, tennis, and kayaking. He and Townsend enjoy following and supporting the many pursuits of their three children, including their son’s travel soccer, spending time in the mountains of Hot Springs and beyond, participating in activities at their church, and attending concerts and UVA sporting events.
The Impact of COVID-19
The Impact of COVID-19
It may soon be a rare business enterprise that is able to insulate itself from the negative economic effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. While we hope the economy will rebound once the pandemic begins to abate, until then, the Hirschler Restructuring and Creditors Rights Group stands ready to assist clients in addressing the financial challenges of these economically unsettled times.
Whether you are facing the loss or interruption of business, challenging financing relationships, the need to downsize or restructure, or other creditors’ rights issues, the Hirschler team will work with you toward a successful outcome.
Contact us to understand your options and devise a recovery strategy that protects your business and financial health.
Visit our COVID-19 Resource Center for continuing coverage of the financial impact of the pandemic.
Bankruptcy Couch Counsel
Bankruptcy Couch Counsel
The Hirschler Bankruptcy team is pleased to present Bankruptcy Couch Counsel, a series of brief videos addressing the legal and business issues keeping you up at night.
Have questions about the information we present or a topic you'd like to see covered on a future Bankruptcy Couch Counsel? Contact any member of the team.
- Law Clerk, The Honorable Blackwell N. Shelley, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 1998–1999
Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D., 1998
University of Virginia, B.A. History, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District and Bankruptcy Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia