"Lisa Hedrick is described as 'smart and responsive' by impressed clients. She regularly advises clients on acquisitions as well as acting as external general counsel on governance matters. She also assists clients with private equity transactions and capital markets issues." Chambers USA
Lisa’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions (M&A) involving privately-held middle market companies across the United States. With transaction sizes ranging from $1 million to over $1 billion, Lisa provides practical and informed counsel to business founders, family offices and private equity funds for their buy-side and sell-side transactions across multiple industries. Within the past year, Lisa has worked on a number of deals involving representations and warranties insurance (RWI). She is well versed in negotiating RWI policies and structuring deals to accommodate such protection for her clients.
Recently Lisa represented a private equity fund in the acquisition of a distributor from a family office. The transaction involved several third parties including lenders and co-investors and drew heavily on Lisa’s strong project management and organizational skills to complete the transaction under an accelerated timeline.
In addition to M&A transactions, Lisa works with middle market businesses to provide ongoing general corporate counsel and advice. Appreciating that risk is fundamental to every business success-story, Lisa prides herself on educating her clients about the risks involved in a particular transaction and assisting her clients with identifying the best course of action.
Lisa is the current chair of Hirschler’s M&A and Financing Practice Group. She is also the chair of the Recruiting Committee and an active member of the firm’s Associate Advancement Committee and the Women’s Initiatives Network (WIN).
Named to the 2022 Most Influential Women in Mid-Market M&A, Mergers & Acquisitions
Named a “Leader in the Field,” Corporate/M&A, Southern Virginia, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2017-2021
Selected for inclusion as a “Rising Star,” Mergers & Acquisitions, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2013-2021
Named to “Legal Elite,” (Young Lawyer (Under 40)), Virginia Business, 2012-2020
Named an “Up and Coming” lawyer, Corporate/M&A, Virginia, Chambers USA” America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2016
Named “Young Lawyer of the Year,” Richmond Bar Association, 2016
Named an "Emerging Leader," The M&A Advisor, 2016
Named an “Associate to Watch,” Corporate/M&A, Southern Virginia, Chambers USA” America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2015
Recipient, Washington and Lee Law Council Law Review Award for Outstanding Student Note
Recipient, Barry Sullivan Constitutional Law Award for Excellence in Constitutional Law
Mergers and Acquisitions
Represented a private equity firm in the acquisition of an international manufacturing company involving a competitive bid process, representations and warranties insurance, management rollover and co-investment.
Represented a private-equity-backed manufacturer and distributor in several add-on acquisitions in connection with the execution of a buy-and-build strategy
Represented a private-equity backed Represented Bertram Capital, a California-based private equity firm, in the sale of WH Acquisitions, Inc., EXT Acquisitions, Inc., Premier Material Concepts, LLC and Clarus Glassboards, LLC and in the acquisition of BearCom.
Represented owner of a veterinary practice in connection with the sale of assets to a national, private-equity backed buyer.
Represented senior executive in connection with sale and rollover of his minority-ownership stake in the target company and in connection with new employment and executive compensation arrangements with the buyer.
Represented a family office in the refinancing of senior debt, including associated pre-closing restructuring issues.
Coordinated the acquisition of two unaffiliated but complementary business services companies by a private equity firm, which involved a significant equity roll by the founders of the two target companies.
Facilitated a private equity investment in a value added reseller on behalf of the company’s founder, which included the negotiation of post-closing governance documents between the equity holders.
Assisted a national manufacturer with multiple synergistic acquisitions designed to strengthen brand recognition and product capabilities.
Represented a private equity firm in the acquisition of a manufacturer with operations in the U.K. and Ireland.
General Counsel Services
Assisted with an internal reorganization of a provider of telemedicine.
Reviewed the organizational documents and minute books of a financial services firm and provided recommendations to improve corporate governance and legal compliance.
Served as local counsel to a Canadian technology company with respect to its investment in a U.S. startup.
Drafted and negotiated standard services and sales contracts for a distributor of medical supplies.
- Virginia Business Magazine, 11.30.2020
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Hirschler Fleischer Recognized as M&A Advisor’s Law Firm of the Year, Partner Named Finalist for Legal Advisor of the Year11.20.2014
- Earnouts in the Era of COVID-19: Best Practices for Designing Earnouts to Avoid Disputes, American Bar Association, Continuing Legal Education11.12.2020
- Representations and Warranties Insurance: Emerging Issues and Practice Pointers in Uncertain Times, American Law Institute Continuing Legal Education05.29.2020
- Richmond, VA, 02.13.2020
- Richmond, VA, 11.09.2018
- Richmond, VA, 10.03.2018
- Lisa Hedrick speaks on The Costs of a Dollar: Managing Risk in M&A Transactions at the 2018 VCU RISC Trends Conference03.06.2018
- Advanced Mergers and Acquisitions, National Business Institute08.16.2017
- Strategic Business Planning: Legal & Financial Considerations for Successful Businesses, Richmond Chapter of the National Association of Women Business Owners05.07.2014
- Keeping Your Job While Going Through Cancer Treatment, Legal Information Network for Cancer11.2010
- Client Exclusive: Hirschler M&A Team Offers Advance Preview of 2021 ABA Private Target Deal Points Study01.04.2022
- The UK’s National Security and Investment Bill: A New Source of Political Risk for Foreign Direct Investment11.16.2020
- Lisa Hedrick, Brent Ashley, and Sarah Mikowski Discuss the Importance of Preparation to Limit Employment Liabilities in a Sale, Industry Today04.06.2020
- Off to the Races: SBA Paycheck Protection Program Application Period Opens Today: Key Updates and Guidance04.03.2020
- "Material Adverse Effect” Clauses in the Context of COVID-19 and Their Impact on Loan and Acquisition Agreements03.30.2020
- Latest ABA M&A Deal Points Study Highlights New Data Points, Impact of Reps and Warranties Insurance01.05.2018
- Leveling the Buying Field: Considerations for Public Company Boards in Acquiring Closely-Held Companies, Directors & Boards05.2014
- Finding the Market in Private-Company M&A, Law36003.04.2014
- Construction Law Blog, 02.20.2017
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
Growing up as a Navy brat taught Lisa the importance of dedication and flexibility. It also taught her to appreciate cuisines and culture from around the world. She and her husband, Scott, are avid wine lovers and able cooks who enjoy entertaining and getting to know people.
Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- Order of the Coif
College of William and Mary, B.A., with honors