"Lisa Hedrick is described as 'smart and responsive' by impressed clients. She regularly advises clients on acquisitions as well as acting as external general counsel on governance matters. She also assists clients with private equity transactions and capital markets issues." Chambers USA
Lisa’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions (M&A) involving privately-held middle market companies across the United States. With transaction sizes ranging from $1 million to $500 million, Lisa provides practical and informed counsel to business founders, family offices and private equity funds for their buy-side and sell-side transactions across multiple industries. Within the past year, Lisa has worked on a number of deals involving representations and warranties insurance (RWI). She is well versed in negotiating RWI policies and structuring deals to accommodate such protection for her clients.
Recently Lisa represented a private equity fund in the acquisition of a distributor from a family office. The transaction involved several third parties including lenders and co-investors and drew heavily on Lisa’s strong project management and organizational skills to complete the transaction under an accelerated timeline.
In addition to M&A transactions, Lisa works with middle market businesses to provide ongoing general corporate counsel and advice. Appreciating that risk is fundamental to every business success-story, Lisa prides herself on educating her clients about the risks involved in a particular transaction and assisting her clients with identifying the best course of action.
Lisa is the current chair of Hirschler’s Recruiting Committee and an active member of the firm’s Women’s Initiatives Network (WIN).
Named a “Leader in the Field,” Corporate/M&A, Southern Virginia, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2017-2019
Selected for inclusion as a “Rising Star,” Mergers & Acquisitions, Virginia Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2013-2019
Named an “Up and Coming” lawyer, Corporate/M&A, Virginia, Chambers USA” America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2016
Named “Young Lawyer of the Year,” Richmond Bar Association, 2016
Named an “Associate to Watch,” Corporate/M&A, Southern Virginia, Chambers USA” America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2015
Named to “Legal Elite,” (Young Lawyer (Under 40)), Virginia Business, 2012-2018
Recipient, Washington and Lee Law Council Law Review Award for Outstanding Student Note
Recipient, Barry Sullivan Constitutional Law Award for Excellence in Constitutional Law
Mergers and Acquisitions
Represented Bertram Capital, a California-based private equity firm, in the sale of WH Acquisitions, Inc., EXT Acquisitions, Inc., Premier Material Concepts, LLC and Clarus Glassboards, LLC and in the acquisition of BearCom.
Provided sell-side assistance to a business founder in the sale of assets to a local entrepreneur.
Counseled a senior executive with respect to the negotiation of his non-compete and employment agreement in connection with the sale of his minority interest in a government contracting firm.
On behalf of a family office, negotiated the acquisition by merger of a regional manufacturer, which involved strong tax indemnification provisions and the placement of a representations and warranties insurance policy.
Represented the majority owner of a registered investment advisor in the sale of his equity to a larger financial institution, which required obtaining client consent prior to closing.
Coordinated the acquisition of two unaffiliated but complementary business services companies by a private equity firm, which involved a significant equity roll by the founders of the two target companies.
Facilitated a private equity investment in a value added reseller on behalf of the company’s founder, which included the negotiation of post-closing governance documents between the equity holders.
Assisted a national manufacturer with multiple synergistic acquisitions designed to strengthen brand recognition and product capabilities.
Represented a private equity firm in the acquisition of a manufacturer with operations in the U.K. and Ireland.
General Counsel Services
Reviewed the organizational documents and minute books of a financial services firm and provided recommendations to improve corporate governance and legal compliance.
Served as local counsel to a German technology company with respect to its investment in a U.S. startup.
Drafted and negotiated standard services and sales contracts for a distributor of medical supplies.
Assisted in a corporate reorganization of an international manufacturer with operations in approximately six states and four different countries.
Drafted employment agreements for a healthcare provider with respect to new employees.
- 38 Hirschler Lawyers Named Among Virginia Business Legal Elite, Lisa Goodwin Profiled in Environmental Law CategoryVirginia Business Magazine , 12.05.2019
- Hirschler Fleischer Recognized as M&A Advisor’s Law Firm of the Year, Partner Named Finalist for Legal Advisor of the Year11.20.2014
- Austin, Texas, 02.10.2019 - 02.13.2019
- Richmond, VA, 11.09.2018
- Richmond, VA, 10.03.2018
- Lisa Hedrick speaks on The Costs of a Dollar: Managing Risk in M&A Transactions at the 2018 VCU RISC Trends Conference03.06.2018
- Advanced Mergers and Acquisitions, National Business Institute08.16.2017
- Strategic Business Planning: Legal & Financial Considerations for Successful Businesses, Richmond Chapter of the National Association of Women Business Owners05.07.2014
- Keeping Your Job While Going Through Cancer Treatment, Legal Information Network for Cancer11.2010
- Lisa Hedrick, Brent Ashley, and Sarah Mikowski Discuss the Importance of Preparation to Limit Employment Liabilities in a Sale, Industry Today04.06.2020
- Off to the Races: SBA Paycheck Protection Program Application Period Opens Today: Key Updates and Guidance04.03.2020
- "Material Adverse Effect” Clauses in the Context of COVID-19 and Their Impact on Loan and Acquisition Agreements03.30.2020
- Latest ABA M&A Deal Points Study Highlights New Data Points, Impact of Reps and Warranties Insurance01.05.2018
- Leveling the Buying Field: Considerations for Public Company Boards in Acquiring Closely-Held Companies, Directors & Boards05.2014
- Finding the Market in Private-Company M&A, Law36003.04.2014
- Construction Law Blog, 02.20.2017
Beyond the Law
Beyond the Law
Growing up as a Navy brat taught Lisa the importance of dedication and flexibility. It also taught her to appreciate cuisines and culture from around the world. She and her husband, Scott, are avid wine lovers and able cooks who enjoy entertaining and getting to know people.
Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- Order of the Coif
College of William and Mary, B.A., with honors
- Lisa Hedrick, Brent Ashley, and Sarah Mikowski Discuss the Importance of Preparation to Limit Employment Liabilities in a Sale, Industry Today
- AlertOff to the Races: SBA Paycheck Protection Program Application Period Opens Today: Key Updates and Guidance
- "Material Adverse Effect” Clauses in the Context of COVID-19 and Their Impact on Loan and Acquisition Agreements